Arena Lacrosse League?

Dan K
Site Admin

Arena Lacrosse League?

Post by Dan K » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:23 pm

The new ALL plans to start play with teams in Virginia and North Carolina.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/spt-la ... 4290.story

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:06 pm

Allan Harvie tried to do this for spring 2010 -- at the time, he wanted to use the Richmond Coliseum but was blocked by the AIFA Richmond Raiders under their non-compete clause with the arena.

The fact that he's now aiming for 2011 means that something has changed with the Raiders or Harvie's going to base the league at SportsQuest (the new Olympic-sports complex with a 5,000-seat arena being built in Southside Richmond).

As Harvie is based in Richmond (he's the former owner of the ECHL and SPHL Richmond Renegades), I don't think he'd go too far with this unless he had a Richmond venue signed, or close to signed.

Hockey
Site Admin

Post by Hockey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:20 pm

[quote=""robster2001""]Allan Harvie tried to do this for spring 2010 -- at the time, he wanted to use the Richmond Coliseum but was blocked by the AIFA Richmond Raiders under their non-compete clause with the arena.

The fact that he's now aiming for 2011 means that something has changed with the Raiders or Harvie's going to base the league at SportsQuest (the new Olympic-sports complex with a 5,000-seat arena being built in Southside Richmond).

As Harvie is based in Richmond (he's the former owner of the ECHL and SPHL Richmond Renegades), I don't think he'd go too far with this unless he had a Richmond venue signed, or close to signed.[/quote]

As far as I know, Harvie actually lives/works in Norfolk.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:12 pm

[quote=""Hockey""]As far as I know, Harvie actually lives/works in Norfolk.[/quote]

Hmm... he's here in Richmond enough that I guess I just assumed he was based here -- he's a regular at VCU sporting events, he's spotted around town constantly...

But that doesn't rule out the possibility that he drives up a lot from Norfolk, so I could be wrong.

Either way, I stand on the idea that he's basing the ALL around the existence of a Richmond franchise. :)

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:51 pm

The league has quietly been postponed to January 2012, according to a one-line report in the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Hockey
Site Admin

Post by Hockey » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:27 am

[quote=""robster2001""]The league has quietly been postponed to January 2012, according to a one-line report in the Richmond Times-Dispatch.[/quote]

"quietly postponed" makes it sound like they are hiding something. Its the opposite, They don't have any teams yet. So no fans or sponsors let down.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:26 am

[quote=""Hockey""]"quietly postponed" makes it sound like they are hiding something. Its the opposite, They don't have any teams yet. So no fans or sponsors let down.[/quote]

I didn't mean to make it sound bad... it's "quiet" in the sense that there's no press release, and their website still indicates a 2011 launch.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:34 am

This won't work in my opinion. The NLL is struggling there isn't enough indoor lacrosse fan interest outside pockets like my Buffalo boarder cities close to canada where much of the player talent pool comes from. Even if the ALL could convert field players out of the US Colleges. I doubt this ALL league would draw in the numbers neccessary for success even to break even in my opinion for what it is worth.

I have been following MILL/NLL indoor/box lacrosse for 20 years coming up with my Buffalo Bandits in Buffalo plus the struggles of the MLL outdoor lacrosse. There isn't room for three professional lacrosse leagues in my opinion plus canadien box summer leagues OLA and WLA. Even in Buffalo where the Buffalo Bandits NLL are very successful on the field and at the gate averaging over 16,000 in the 2010 NLL regular season. We had some lean years of 6,000 to 7,000 but the key was the Buffalo Bandits NLL are owned by the Buffalo Sabres NHL.

That is key because the Buffalo Sabres NHL have full control of HSBC Arena so they can charge the Buffalo Bandits NLL whatever they want for there bottom line each year. Plus look at the NLL league who has just lost the Orlando Titans NLL this offseason and has seen NLL expansion teams come and go over the years it isn't easy to draw for indoor lacrosse for the established NLL let alone a new league.

I would think that would make it that much harder on the ALL. I wish the ALL good luck because I think there going to need it if they start in 2012 or whenever they plan to start. I don't think there is enough of a demand in alot of other cities that the NLL isn't already in.

Ask yourself your interested in owning a professional indoor lacrosse franchise. If you knock on the door of the NLL I doubt they wouldn't atleast listen to you if your legit? They might even take you out to lunch, dinner or even invite you to a NLL game if you have the money and are serious. See that is the thing NLL isn't like the NFL where there shutting the door on cities. If your ownership group is legit and has the money I would think the NLL would listen. If these ALL people are interested in indoor lacrosse why not go for a NLL team inless these owners don't have the money? Just wondering see what I am getting at? Let's Go Buffalo
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

Return to “General Lacrosse”