36%
Not Sure Yet
29%

Total votes: 14

CRUSADERSFAN
Site Admin

The New Cleveland Crusaders

Post by CRUSADERSFAN » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:42 pm

DO you think Cleveland will get a WHA team?I do, and I think they will draw fans as well.

statman77
Site Admin

WHA

Post by statman77 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:50 am

I think the new World Hockey Association will do just fine.
David Malenke

PapaJoe
Site Admin

Go WHA!!!

Post by PapaJoe » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:54 pm

I truly do believe that the new WHA will do just fine. I hope that their may be some way in which I can see some games on TV. I would like to suggest that they take a look at UPN and PAX, even if they have to accept broadcast rights for nothing. It would be great exposure for the league, and allow these smaller broadcast networks some cheap sports programming. Papa Joe

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Re: Go WHA!!!

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:24 am

PapaJoe wrote:I truly do believe that the new WHA will do just fine. I hope that their may be some way in which I can see some games on TV. I would like to suggest that they take a look at UPN and PAX, even if they have to accept broadcast rights for nothing. It would be great exposure for the league, and allow these smaller broadcast networks some cheap sports programming. Papa Joe
As I mentioned on the Outdoor Football board, one idea to look at is NBC or any other over-the-air-broadcaster's plethora of cable networks. If the WHA were to structure its deal similar to the NHL's and ended up on say Spike TV or CNBC it could be highly lucrative to both parties.

As much as the WHA needs US TV, they should start looking for TV in Canada first. Sadly, hockey sells better here than South of the 49th. The WHA has several options for TV if the NHL is locked out. Any current NHL broadcaster may be willing to pick up broadcasts to fill out hockey scheduling until the labour strife is resolved. The easiest sell of rights would be to Rogers Sportsnet, as the NHL and to a lesser extent the Jays are their sole content. Without the regional broadcasts of NHL games, the network would have died long ago. They would snap up WHA games quickly to replace the NHL telecasts that are now gone. TSN would most likely be willing to take some games, but they aren't as heavily reliant on the NHL as Rogers Sportsnet is. CBC would be the hardest of the NHL broadcasters to crack, as they have a favoured (read cheap) deal with the NHL to show Hockey Night In Canada. If they ticked the NHL off, the only major programming aside from The National (news) to draw ratings would be gone.

If the NHL doesn't end up locked out the WHA has a few options for a national broadcast schedule. Conceivably, TSN, CBC and Rogers Sportsnet would not bid on any competitor to the NHL, so they're out nationally. Sportsnet may be willing to pick up games regionally on Sportsnet East (Halifax and Quebec) and Sportsnet Central (Toronto and Hamilton). Likely, if the NHL isn't locked out, the WHA likely isn't high enough calibre of play to attract interest from CTV. Unless Bobby Hull begins to raid the NHL anyway of its players, this will become the new IHL.

So that leaves, two major players in English for the WHA, Global and The Score. Most likely Global will shy away from any prime-time coverage as it has a good schedule. That does leave the possibility of Saturday afternoon games though. Global broadcasts NFL games so Sunday is out. The Score on the other hand, could broadcast the WHA on a more flexible schedule. They already do Manitoba Moose games and Toronto Roadrunners games and the broadcasts were of alright quality. As well, The Score does Expos baseball and did CBL games last year. The only sticking point is the license they have with the CRTC, it limits how much full, live games they show, as they are supposed to be a news channel like ESPNEWS.

There is one other option for the WHA to show games in Canada. I'm not sure why Le Soriee du Hockey was cancelled. But, Quebec Nordiks games could air on SRC if they struck the right deal. Currently, the French CBC shows no hockey except what is played at the Olympics. I doubt RDS would come on board as they currently are the exclusive French broadcasters for the Montreal Canadiens. All 82 games are shown on RDS, leaving little room for Nordiks broadcasts. If the NHL is locked out, I'm sure that RDS would happily show Nordiks broadcasts.

Regionally, I think the Leafs regional network would pick up some Toros games and possibly Hamilton games as a replacement for the Leafs. The Senators local affiliates could pick up Nordiks games. Fox Sports Net Detroit, which shows the Wings could be home to the Gladiators. Fox Sports Net Southwest, home of the Dallas Stars, would become the home of the Dallas Americans. The only area without an NHL team to piggy-back off of is Halifax. But there is the Atlantic Television Network, part of the CTV network, that might show some Ice Breakers games locally. The Florida club could be aired on Sunshine Network that shows Tampa Bay Lightning games.

But the major concern of the WHA is to secure arena leases in all 8 cities. Which means determining where Florida will play and where the Founder's Franchise will play. At worst, I say place the team at Saskatchewan Place in Saskatoon. I'm sure that out of all the cities we'd be pretty close to the league lead in attendance. Sign rosters of players for all 8 clubs. Get staff in place for all 8 and then look at TV. I figure TV should be down the list of things to do before the first faceoff.

Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:55 pm

I doubt Cleveland will at least this season. To my knoledge they could only play in Gund Arena (taken by Barons) and there is a reason why the Barons are nicknamed the barens it may be the city only supports major league sports but that's still a concern.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:50 pm

Um, how many arena leases are actually signed for the WHA?

Furthermore, um, 4 months from face off, or less?

Waiting for someone else to lockout before selling tickets = really, really, really bad, presuming you were serious in the first place.

Return to “General Hockey”