summer Pro League

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:01 am

Honestly, I don't think anymore hockey in non-traditional markets is a good idea. I admire your confidence in trying to make the Southern US a hockey hot bed. But really, I think the market is tapped out. The only place summer hockey would work is likely in Canada and only with bigger name players. If you want a summer hockey league in the South, I'd say a good idea would be to start a roller hockey league.

You mentioned making it a place for CHL players to play in the off-season. I'm curious as to how many CHL players actually stay in those markets during the off-season. I'm willing to guess not very many are year round residents of CHL cities.

Lastly, I'm afraid using public skating rinks for teams isn't a good idea. Unless public skating rinks are much different than public skating rinks here in Saskatoon, they are not kept up well enough for professional sports to play there. Plus, they don't seat nearly enough to be able to make ends meet for a professional hockey team, let alone turn a profit.

Raptorov
Site Admin

Post by Raptorov » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:45 am

Where would the players come from? The minor leagues wrap-up in May typically, and that really only allows three months before the training camps open. Not knowing how far players may get in the playoffs, might restrict who would be willing to sign up. Also many take the off season to heal, rest and work-out, so there might be many who would fear injury before the winter leagues begin.
College players might, however. When does that season end? Isnt the NCAA Frozen Four in February? It seems early.
We have met the enemy and they are ours:
Two ships, two brigs, one schooner and one sloop

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:46 am

I figure initially this league could be a pre-draft camp for prospective juniors and the like. Still I figure the season should kick off early June to get in enough games. At this point in the year there are basically 4 teams still playing hockey (2 conference champs in each of the NHL and AHL). So there would be an abundance of players available.

jayme2008
Site Admin

Post by jayme2008 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:20 pm

First nhl players would not be permitted to take part in any summer league.Its right there in there contract they can not play for any other teams.They are permitted to play summer pick up hockey buts thats it.This applies to all nhl players and any other player under a deal with a nhl team if that player is in the ahl or echl etc.That leaves you with not many players to pick from.Second you would have to offer those players who can play a ton of money to play durring the summer $70,000 and up.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:51 am

[quote=""jayme2008""]First nhl players would not be permitted to take part in any summer league.Its right there in there contract they can not play for any other teams.They are permitted to play summer pick up hockey buts thats it.This applies to all nhl players and any other player under a deal with a nhl team if that player is in the ahl or echl etc.That leaves you with not many players to pick from.Second you would have to offer those players who can play a ton of money to play durring the summer $70,000 and up.[/quote]

My idea was free agents though. All free agents wouldn't be restricted by that as they are not under contract to any NHL team as of July 1. Plus if they had consent of their NHL club, they could be allowed to play as they are in the IIHF World Championships, Olympics etc. I couldn't see why NHL teams wouldn't want their lower end players honing their skills in a summer league. This would be akin to the Caribbean Winter Leagues for baseball.

jayme2008
Site Admin

Post by jayme2008 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:11 pm

Unlike baseball players hockey players need time off to regroup and heel.There was a league that was like what your trying 5 years ago the nhl along with the nhlpa nixed it.The only way it would work if the league was in canada or in the states in the northeast.A league would never work any where else durring the summer.If you would do a short season 10-20 games and have the teams all in the same area you may be alright.You would not get any players if you dd a southern or western league players want to remain close to home.You would aslo have to pay the players $$$$ and pay for insurance etc your looking at 2 million budget for the first year.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:40 am

[quote=""jayme2008""]Unlike baseball players hockey players need time off to regroup and heel.There was a league that was like what your trying 5 years ago the nhl along with the nhlpa nixed it.The only way it would work if the league was in canada or in the states in the northeast.A league would never work any where else durring the summer.If you would do a short season 10-20 games and have the teams all in the same area you may be alright.You would not get any players if you dd a southern or western league players want to remain close to home.You would aslo have to pay the players $$$$ and pay for insurance etc your looking at 2 million budget for the first year.[/quote]

Yeah no I would never do a league like this outside of Canada and maybe the Northern US. My idea was to use the larger CHL rinks (mainly from the WHL) and the NHL rinks which are vacant mostly during the summer months. Of course this is all theoretical since I don't have the money to bankroll one player let alone a league.

Return to “General Hockey”