XFL to return?

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:49 pm

If he goes big, he'll lose big.

$100M is not going to get him big enough to move the needle.

Someone (preferably several someones) would have to invest billions over a period of time, would have to steal NFL free agents and would probably have to come up with some stadiums of their own (or unique solutions) because many NFL teams have lease clauses that the facilities can't be used for another pro football team.

So if you put teams in the markets you need to be in to move the needle with TV networks, you are likely to be shut out of the main stadiums in those markets OR you'll be paying rent without the ability of revenue capture that is so key to a league that can't rely on major television revenue.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

fonzob1
Site Admin

Post by fonzob1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:35 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]If he goes big, he'll lose big.

$100M is not going to get him big enough to move the needle.

Someone (preferably several someones) would have to invest billions over a period of time, would have to steal NFL free agents and would probably have to come up with some stadiums of their own (or unique solutions) because many NFL teams have lease clauses that the facilities can't be used for another pro football team.

So if you put teams in the markets you need to be in to move the needle with TV networks, you are likely to be shut out of the main stadiums in those markets OR you'll be paying rent without the ability of revenue capture that is so key to a league that can't rely on major television revenue.[/quote]

I agree losing big is the reality he is looking at, but shelling out millions is the only chance he has of getting a tv contract and approaching anything that competes with the NFL.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 pm

Gonna need more than $100M is, has been, and remains my point.

fonzob1
Site Admin

Post by fonzob1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:55 am

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Gonna need more than $100M is, has been, and remains my point.[/quote]

I completely agree. The XFL lost $65 million 17 years ago in 2001. No question expenses will clear $100 million in 2018. Vince must also know this and be fully willing to put up and risk the funds. I am sure he has them.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:16 am

He...liquidated....$100M of stock.

That's it.

$100M.

That's what he has.

How the **** do you continue to say the same thing over and over?

He DOESN'T have the necessary funds to lose at startup.

NO ONE has those types of funds who is dumb enough to take it and put it in the street and light it on fire in pursuit of whatever the hell McMahon is (supposedly) in pursuit of.

If he KNEW it would take more than $100M...he'd have...come up with...more than $100M, doesn't that make sense to you?

Jesus.

fonzob1
Site Admin

Post by fonzob1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:37 am

[quote=""Sam Hill""]He...liquidated....$100M of stock.

That's it.

$100M.

That's what he has.

How the **** do you continue to say the same thing over and over?

He DOESN'T have the necessary funds to lose at startup.

NO ONE has those types of funds who is dumb enough to take it and put it in the street and light it on fire in pursuit of whatever the hell McMahon is (supposedly) in pursuit of.

If he KNEW it would take more than $100M...he'd have...come up with...more than $100M, doesn't that make sense to you?

Jesus.[/quote]

It's sad that you have to go through life being so angry. LOL

-Vince McMahon is worth $1.6 billion and the $100 million he liquidated may just be for the start up costs. There is nothing stopping him from liquidating more as needed.

-Vince McMahon may not be the only investor.

-Vince has lost millions before. If he's truly considering relaunching the XFL, he is obviously willing to do it again.

Jesus! :D :D :D :D

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Our boy Vince Jr. went and did something rather rash:

https://sports.yahoo.com/vince-mcmahon- ... 34145.html

fonzob1
Site Admin

Post by fonzob1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:05 am

[quote=""nksports""]Our boy Vince Jr. went and did something rather rash:

https://sports.yahoo.com/vince-mcmahon- ... 34145.html[/quote]

Well, he does look like he is taking the venture way more seriously this time. Some positive revelations that came out of the press conference:

-Vince will not be the CEO/Commissioner of the XFL. He will hire someone who understands football.
-They will be talking to medical experts to make the game as "safe as possible" instead of using the old gimmick of making the game even more violent.

I am not a fan of making the game closer to 2 hours though. The game should resemble an NFL game in some respects and shouldn't be too vastly different. I am also not a fan of the fact that the XFL season will still overlap with March Madness.

The full press conference is on the XFL's web page:

https://www.xfl.com/

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:09 am

It’s kind of funny that one of the more educated sports message boards I know started dovetailing into a “it’d be a better idea if the league took in 18-year-olds and generally went the development route” discussion. I ended up saying that the SEC pays better.

But if you’re watching closely, let’s just say there’s serious disgust with college sports, the NCAA, the sham degrees, etc. This last week’s revelations definitely don’t help.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

ca
Site Admin

Whether ...

Post by ca » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:33 am

You go after players with college time left or not the Xfl doesn't need the big TV $ so why go after it

Return to “General Football”