Site Admin

why not have ...

Post by ca » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:15 pm

an 8 man pro football league with 16 players max

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:29 pm

Because no one would watch it.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

ca
Site Admin

Well metro Detroit ...

Post by ca » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Might watch if cause it could use a good team

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Sam, has a point but he also is wrong remember the NFL's marketing arm USA football is pushing 9 man football.

Also in states that play either 8-9 man football at the high school level an already are familiar with the game audience is in place, so just like anything else considered a golden calf, something else is always in the wings with a opportunity to be a wing of it so impossible no.

As I have written before they now have a street skateboarding league shown on ESPN. And I'll bet Sam would have told you that's not ever going to happen had you mentioned it as a open question to him, not attacking Sam just pointing out 21st century nothing's off the table.

Opinions are like a butt everyone has one, and simply being that yours may be open to what if, doesn't demean your right to look at things in that setting. :cool:

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:38 am

You figure street skateboarding is pulling in big numbers?

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:42 pm

You and I both know the numbers are not there, but its a niche sport that brings in a different group of potential sponsors and followers.

ESPN is willing to take that hit to appeal to culture it normally can't get to watch most of the regular programing the network offers :cool:

LordBy2014
Site Admin

Post by LordBy2014 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:28 pm

I thought we already have professional 8 man football - it's called Indoor or Arena Football (LOL) . . .

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:55 am

[quote=""suge night""]Also in states that play either 8-9 man football at the high school level an already are familiar with the game audience is in place.[/quote]

Where I live, most of the communities with 8-man football (about 90 of them) are 500 or less and so spread out, so if that is the audience you are courting, you are not going to have numbers that would interest potential sponsors (unless you expect tractor companies and farm supply companies as sponsors, and they put those promotional dollars towards K-State and Fort Hays State and their local high schools).

We do have about eight 6-man teams in Kansas, and that might grow as the small farm towns continue to depopulate.

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:23 am

Great point and that is where such a league should be,I don't know if CA meant small communities. But a league based upon such a concept should be placed in small communities that already understand what it is, if any growth opportunities should come it would start local onto statewide and if it should catch then regional. It would take time to do it .

The sixman game is about the same with a few exceptions in Texas.

Nobody is saying it needs to be a large league or even profitable, I think CA was simply asking why not?

I mean the indoor version has yet to show itself worthy as a franchise offering,whats there to lose,I think is where CA was going with the question. But he may chime back in and say something completely different.
Last edited by suge night on Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:31 am

Schools play 8-man football where there are not enough players.

That does not mean someone in a place where they don't have 8 man football (or even where they do) wants to watch a professional league of 8-man football.

People don't want to watch a professional league that's anything other than the NFL. Which seems to be what many of you refuse to grasp. There's a reason none of these attempts have worked, and why the Pac Pro league with high school guys isn't going to work, either.

To get an audience even half as big as that of the NFL would require expenditures no one is willing to make. You'd have to steal NFL draft picks (not going to happen, even with the cap on rookie contracts). You'd have to steal some NFL veterans. (Absolutely not going to happen.) You'd have to play in big markets. (Not going to happen.) You'd have to get real football coaches, not the Galen Halls of the world.

None of these attempts have worked for a very good reason: they cannot garner a big enough audience because as much as people ***** about how much they hate the NFL and will never watch another game, of course they will. And they won't watch the Sacramento Sting against the Ozark Mountain Daredevils.

Return to “General Football”