New League

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Fri May 30, 2014 3:01 pm

Did I miss something? Is there any further information on this entity than just that webpage? What is known of the principals?

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri May 30, 2014 5:50 pm

[quote=""preeths""]Did I miss something? Is there any further information on this entity than just that webpage? What is known of the principals?[/quote]

Google found nothing. That webpage made promises about announcing teams in May. It's May 30. A Friday, no less.

Methinks it's just another kid with a dream.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Sat May 31, 2014 7:53 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]Google found nothing. That webpage made promises about announcing teams in May. It's May 30. A Friday, no less.

Methinks it's just another kid with a dream.[/quote]

Alternative league deadlines tend to be off. I'd give it a little while longer. Not much though, if it is really kicking of October 1st.
But who is this guy Brian Wood? Is he legit?
Last edited by Andy J on Sat May 31, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyG

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Sat May 31, 2014 8:10 pm

[quote=""4th&long""]Disagree with you on salaries, Agree that Friday would help, I'm ok with some Wednesday too though. This is basically ufl season 4, which should have been the plan from the get go.

And Keep salaries low, the players will come. Play within a budget and build up - that's my take, especially until they work the kinks out[/quote]

You know that previously I had mentioned minor league baseball stadiums. Maybe during a premiere type season they could pay those salaries with 5 or 6k in the stands , but I would like to see something at least double of what the Arena league pays. I just don't think you can get the players at rates that low. For 6 or 8 games.
What does Wednesday night games mean , all games played on Wednesday nights? Or is Wednesday night the TV night with one game televised. Friday has limited competition, so it would be a good especially for getting fans in the seats , but Saturday would work too in certain markets without big college following, It is interesting that someone does think that the UFL had it right or partially right. Most alternative league fans site the Fall as the problem. Of course in actuality Spring proposed leagues have failed to get off the ground, I think that people with money are not interested.
AndyG

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Sat May 31, 2014 9:18 pm

The only guys who seemingly had money to get a fall league off the ground failed miserably and somewhat spectacularly. The UFL made no difference whatsoever and lived and died nearly anonymously even to sports fans. Maybe the spring can't support a new league, but the fall sure proved a bust.

As for this new organization, why would Sam or anyone else give it any credence at this point? I thought I had missed a big press conference with rich guys named the way some made it sound. No new league has any credibility until it has money behind it. And then it's still an uphill climb.

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:00 am

[quote=""preeths""]The only guys who seemingly had money to get a fall league off the ground failed miserably and somewhat spectacularly. The UFL made no difference whatsoever and lived and died nearly anonymously even to sports fans. Maybe the spring can't support a new league, but the fall sure proved a bust.

As for this new organization, why would Sam or anyone else give it any credence at this point? I thought I had missed a big press conference with rich guys named the way some made it sound. No new league has any credibility until it has money behind it. And then it's still an uphill climb.[/quote]

Yes we know football is a failure in the Fall and it was made clearer by the UFL. Really your response is so simplistic that it's disappointing. If anything the UFL has contributed to the ongoing discussion of alternative leagues and the possibility of future success.

I agree on your second point but until we know there is nothing behind this league , why condemn it.
Last edited by Andy J on Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndyG

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:25 pm

[quote=""Andy J""]You know that previously I had mentioned minor league baseball stadiums. Maybe during a premiere type season they could pay those salaries with 5 or 6k in the stands , but I would like to see something at least double of what the Arena league pays. I just don't think you can get the players at rates that low. For 6 or 8 games.
What does Wednesday night games mean , all games played on Wednesday nights? Or is Wednesday night the TV night with one game televised. Friday has limited competition, so it would be a good especially for getting fans in the seats , but Saturday would work too in certain markets without big college following, It is interesting that someone does think that the UFL had it right or partially right. Most alternative league fans site the Fall as the problem. Of course in actuality Spring proposed leagues have failed to get off the ground, I think that people with money are not interested.[/quote]

Andy,

Salary most certainly can/will climb but only as the establish a fan base and tv revenue. Even a small one. I mean wnba and MLL have tv contracts for heaven sakes. A legit small league can get 250k viewer to starved FB fans and local fans in those cities. The ufl did almost that on versus with no marketing. The key is sustainability. So I think we are on the same page more or less

So salaries should start low and grow. Arena's demise in 2009 was an opportunity for the ufl to tank wages, they missed it thanks to Huygue. And since arena is still well below that no prob with the salaries they are saying. Besides be flexible, for a name player pay more for a borderline pay less.

Wed/fri/sat work fine. No nfl and they need to grab a niche. I watched ufl but not a fan of college FB.
Level of play was much better than CFB. Not trying to be a downer, it's just not for me. In NE college FB just isn't that big.

More FB = good.

Here's the thing why invest 500k into a 12-16 week indoor league? I'd rather see a 6-8 week outdoor league for the same money.
Last edited by 4th&long on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hockey
Site Admin

Post by Hockey » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:11 pm

The flaw in everyones position is that the NFL is not going to put games on Wed/Friday/Saturday. It wont be long until we see the Wednesday Night CNBC game, Friday Night Animal Planet Game and Saturday Night History Channel Making History Game.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:52 am

[quote=""Hockey""]The flaw in everyones position is that the NFL is not going to put games on Wed/Friday/Saturday. It wont be long until we see the Wednesday Night CNBC game, Friday Night Animal Planet Game and Saturday Night History Channel Making History Game.[/quote]

What's that??

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:13 am

[quote=""4th&long""]What's that??[/quote]

I don't now either. but let's wait and see on this league. Hope we can stay here and discuss it ,the way I remember discussing he XFL. I didn't hang around for the UFL. Of course this league could announce in two weeks or so that they are postponing until 2015.
AndyG

Return to “General Football”