Fort paid, game on track for Saturday

The Fall Experimental Football League (FXFL) forum
preeths
Site Admin

Fort paid, game on track for Saturday

Post by preeths » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:59 pm

The Hudson Valley Fort have apparently been paid and will play at Brooklyn Saturday:
http://www.hudsonvalleysportsreport.com ... nd-season/

Some highlights from the article:
- The pay flap got the attention of Dutchess County execs who will review allowing the Renegades to sublet to the FXFL next season
- Brooklyn got paid on Monday which explains why the Fort were upset about not being paid so soon after their first game
- Woods again throws John Jenkins, the guy he apparently hasn't paid, under the bus, laying the blame for the team's problems at the former coach's feet. Woods might be amazed at how little things such as paychecks can motivate people.

Saturday's game is also showing up on ESPN3's schedule after being missing earlier in the week.

Renandpat
Site Admin

Post by Renandpat » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:09 pm

[quote=""preeths""]The Hudson Valley Fort have apparently been paid and will play at Brooklyn Saturday:
http://www.hudsonvalleysportsreport.com ... nd-season/

Some highlights from the article:
- The pay flap got the attention of Dutchess County execs who will review allowing the Renegades to sublet to the FXFL next season
- Brooklyn got paid on Monday which explains why the Fort were upset about not being paid so soon after their first game
- Woods again throws John Jenkins, the guy he apparently hasn't paid, under the bus, laying the blame for the team's problems at the former coach's feet. Woods might be amazed at how little things such as paychecks can motivate people.

Saturday's game is also showing up on ESPN3's schedule after being missing earlier in the week.[/quote]

So the county needs to see more from Woods in the next three weeks to approve then back next season.

Good Luck on that. Another bridge burned by the FXFL.

dmbishop
Site Admin

Post by dmbishop » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:54 pm

Gametime weather:
46 degrees, clear skies, wind up to 15mph.

In other words, perfect football weather. With the post-game fireworks if they are going to get a crowd, tonight is the night.

Dave

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Either tonight or October 30 because...well, that's it. That will be the entirety of the Brooklyn schedule. Can't fault the effort for tonight with fireworks, Oktoberfest and a ticket deal.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:26 am

Awful broadcast on ESPN 3 tonight. The picture is terrible and the sound keeps dropping off.

Looks like a sparse crowd unless they are out of camera view.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:48 am

The announcer mentioned, "...in front of a couple hundred people..." offhand. Honestly, that looks a bit low, but I'd guess no more than 500-1,000 in the stands.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:30 pm

[quote=""preeths""]The announcer mentioned, "...in front of a couple hundred people..." offhand. Honestly, that looks a bit low, but I'd guess no more than 500-1,000 in the stands.[/quote]

Maybe it's just me, but I'd say the people have spoken. And their answer to the FXFL is a resounding "no".

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:39 pm

I have to agree with dmbishop. Unless the weather is shockingly beautiful for the Bolts final home game and there's nothing else going on, this was Brooklyn's best chance to draw a crowd. They threw a lot at the wall including an Oktoberfest celebration, fireworks and discount tickets. I'm not sure what else the Bolts can do. The market simply didn't respond.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:51 pm

They could act like an actual professional sports franchise and hire people to actually pre-sell tickets.

Telling people on Facebook that you have a game and fireworks and Oktoberfest and then sittng back and waiting for people to "respond" is going to result in crowds like this one. Just because most NFL tickets fly off the shelves fairly quickly in most markets (most in season ticket packages fueled either by legacy or the team's performance in the previous season) doesn't mean you can call something "pro football" and have "the market respond."

That's not how it works. You have to have actual humans working phones and beating the bushes to get people to commit to buying tickets beforehand and attending, and not just depending on word of mouth and the weather.

So I guess it wasn't the rain last night, then? Remember, rain hurts crowds and the quality of play and broadcasts. But, apparently, so does having non-existent front offices, average players with little practice time together, and local yokels doing the broadcasts.

But watch out bringing facts to the discussion. Andy J will label you "very hostile."
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:54 pm

This might be my favorite tweet about last night's game:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lahlahlindse ... 3259140096
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Return to “FXFL”