Should Michael Sam sign with a FXFL team

The Fall Experimental Football League (FXFL) forum
Fran
Site Admin

Should Michael Sam sign with a FXFL team

Post by Fran » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:30 pm

The Dallas Cowboys waived him today from the practice roster.

At this point if no NFL team has any interest in him he might as well as sign with a FXFL team and play in some games.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/i ... tice-squad

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:33 pm

It certainly would behoove him, wouldn't it? And I can't believe The Brian Woods Attention Machine wouldn't want to latch on to a story he can sell that wouldn't be absolutely ridiculous.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:15 pm

The CFL - Montreal has his rights would be the best option. I don't think he will play in the FXFL, I think with Sam its either NFL or nothing.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Spor ... ichael-Sam

The best option for Sam right now would be the Canadian Football League, where he could play defensive end at his size. The CFL generally has smaller defensive linemen than the NFL.

Or, he could join the new developmental league, the Fall Experimental Football League (FXFL), which has teams in Brooklyn, Omaha, and Boston, plus a travel team based out of Florida. It would be a good place for him to get some game experience. It's hard to develop during in-season NFL practices, which feature little contract and no tackling. Plus, Sam going to the FXFL would be great publicity for the new league. It would be good for both sides.

NTE
Site Admin

Post by NTE » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:51 pm

He should, Tahj Boyd is, and he was a way bigger college star! Prove yourself Sam! Unless he's scared he'd fail?

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:36 pm

If Michael Sam were scared, he would not have come out, don't you think?

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:40 am

[quote=""Fran""]The CFL - Montreal has his rights would be the best option. I don't think he will play in the FXFL, I think with Sam its either NFL or nothing.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Spor ... ichael-Sam

The best option for Sam right now would be the Canadian Football League, where he could play defensive end at his size. The CFL generally has smaller defensive linemen than the NFL.

Or, he could join the new developmental league, the Fall Experimental Football League (FXFL), which has teams in Brooklyn, Omaha, and Boston, plus a travel team based out of Florida. It would be a good place for him to get some game experience. It's hard to develop during in-season NFL practices, which feature little contract and no tackling. Plus, Sam going to the FXFL would be great publicity for the new league. It would be good for both sides.[/quote]

I don't know Fran. CFL limits move to NFL and limits media exposure to the USA.

Sometimes it's better to rule in hell than serve in heaven... :D

If he goes CFL it's for the money and it may not be that much.

FXFL is a win win scenario

4th

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:04 am

Win-win my butt-ocks.

Reasonably sure the CFL will actually pay its players. The FXFL likely hasn't made enough at the gate to pay its players.

We haven't heard yet of players not getting paid, but I'm going to guess that will be coming soon.

If you think he'd get major media exposure (the media has moved on, for the most part) playing on Coney Island in front of 1,000 people and however many people find the games on ESPN3 or stumble across it on the 600-range channels on DirecTV...well, you probably would think that.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:27 pm

Not sure what you're talking about with the CFL limiting media exposure n the US. The CFL also has its games on ESPN3, and they look great. The league also has a history of occasionally producing NFL head coaches, not to mention assistants.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:38 pm

[quote=""preeths""]Not sure what you're talking about with the CFL limiting media exposure n the US. The CFL also has its games on ESPN3, and they look great. The league also has a history of occasionally producing NFL head coaches, not to mention assistants.[/quote]

The cfl is off the american sports media radar and while a amall leafue like tge fxfl is not there yet being in brooklyn nyc with the media there And playing real american fb is the better shot at the nfl this fall. Bthe media will pick it up

If he decides that he wants a fb career and the nfl wont come callibg he can jump to the cfl for a full season next year but likely will never be back in nfl

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Who cares if the CFL is "off the american sports media radar," whatever that means. So is the FXFL, and they sure look like they don't care. They're staging games in front of friends and family, regional sports nets and ESPN3. The CFL is more scout-able than the FXFL because every one of its games is televised unlike the FXFL. The CFL keeps stats, which at least can serve as a starting point for an NFL team. The lone, highly-debatable defense for the FXFL is that it is developing talent. The CFL has done that for decades.

Most of these guys won't be back in the NFL, regardless of whether they sign with the FXFL, CFL or Arena League. That has more to do with their combination of size and skills now, and the fact that they'll have much more competition each and every year. Any player who has been cut from two teams in less than half a season and can't stick on a practice squad is a long shot who would need to develop significantly before opening eyes. That doesn't tend to happen in six weeks, now four actually.

Return to “FXFL”