Will this league survive?

The X-League forum
Alhammer
Site Admin

Post by Alhammer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:53 am

The point is you cannot compare the business model of major professional leagues. Leagues that all make profits and have business owners that carry liability, workers comp, and pay their taxes.

Minor league football is a different animal. Think what you want. The nfl got out of arena and minor league football for reason.

Baseball and hockey have better minor league models

[quote=""JeffKuntz""]I disagree strongly.

I would say the exhibition games like the MLB in Japan, or the NHL in Europe are more important than many of the regular season games a given team plays in a given year.

Major League Baseball is trying to grow its revenue and popularity WORLD-WIDE, not just domestically. Going to Japan and playing these games has a huge ripple effect for the popularity of baseball (and MLB) in that country. The good will generated cannot be under-stated.. to baseball fans in Japan, MLB is acknowledging their passion for the sport, and showing respect for that country as a baseball market.

The money MLB makes from selling TV rights to games (especially the World Series and the rest of the playoffs) in Japan more than pays for the cost of sending a team or two over there.. Follow the money, and you'll see just how important those exhibition games are.. their purpose is to connect with grow the Japanese fanbase.. those games are extremely valuable..[/quote]

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:06 am

[quote=""Alhammer""]The point is you cannot compare the business model of major professional leagues. Leagues that all make profits and have business owners that carry liability, workers comp, and pay their taxes.

Minor league football is a different animal. Think what you want. The nfl got out of arena and minor league football for reason.

Baseball and hockey have better minor league models[/quote]

I didn't compare them.

Think what I want about what? Your verbiage suggests I said something contrary to what you're saying - but you actually started a whole new conversation I was not having.

However, I agree with literally everything you said in this post.

Hockey
Site Admin

Post by Hockey » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:44 am

I'll put an m&m on top of a cup of ice and call it chocolate ice cream. Indoor football plays random teams so they can prop up a schedule.

You guys WAY over analyze stuff.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:36 am

[quote=""Minor League Mania""]As I mentioned before MLB also plays college teams in spring training and just last year played WBC teams from other countries. So we have MLB, NBA, NHL and also MLS recently playing outside their own league's teams.[/quote]

With the exception of MLB-College pre-season games (which come under guidelines set up by MLB and NCAA), there is a structure to most of these. The MLS can play games outside of its league, but those games are regulated by US Soccer, CONCACAF and FIFA. NBA games against other pro teams are regulated by FIBA. NHL games outside the league are regulated by the IIHF. MLB games against international teams are regulated by the IBAF (exhibitions against farm clubs come under MLB-MiLB agreements as well as MLB PA agreements).

Indoor football has no governing body (it's the wild west out there). There is an American Football national and international governing body, but it's small and has just a few competitions (I know a couple of young ladies from our area who won the Women's World American Football Championships last summer in Finland).

The point is all these other sports have checks and balances that indoor football lacks. If you want to schedule a semi-pro outdoor team to fill in for a folded franchise, there's not a whole lot stopping you, even when the score gets to be 116-0.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:01 pm

[quote=""DFWCC""]MLB may play some preseason exhib games before the reg season roster is set. They are not on TV or even promoted.

Fact is pro teams don't play outside their leagues during the regular season.

Initially the discussion was about the X league playing maybe an AIF or IFL team during the regular season.
Good Luck[/quote]

Jeff I agree with everything you said above. We have no idea how much money the pro teams from the states make from International TV and Merchandise deals overseas.

As far as MLB and the preseason, just last year you could have watched a number of MLB games on MLB Network featuring a MLB team vs either a college team in the spring training or a World Team gearing up for the WBC play. MLB Network would not agree that they were not promoted. The Miami Marlins actually opened up their new stadium against a couple of college teams in 2012. 3/6/12 vs. Miami Hurricanes and 3/7/12 vs. FIU golden Panthers.

We were never really talking about playing non-league games as part of a regular season schedule. The X league's game outside their own league does not count in the regular season standings and also is not mandatory.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:12 pm

NKSports you are right about the lack of a governing body. Will indoor football ever have one, probably not. The reason is because all Indoor football teams are all Independent. The main reason that an Independent baseball team can play whoever they want (needing only league approval) but an affiliated team would need permission from the league, parent club and maybe MLB if it were to play say a college or something. It is not impossible to self-regulate in Indoor Football but as we all know on the Forum, it is made harder because so many individuals literally hate each other because of past experience. Whether is being owners, coaches, or players.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:47 pm

[quote=""JeffKuntz""]Well... The NBA and MLB played games against non-league teams in the past calendar year.. And the NHL also did in the very recent past in Europe..

All exhibition games obviously, but they did play them..[/quote]

Yeah, but.....DAMN YOU, KUNTZ!
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:26 am

[quote=""Minor League Mania""]Jeff I agree with everything you said above. We have no idea how much money the pro teams from the states make from International TV and Merchandise deals overseas.

[/quote]

Jeff!! Who the hell is Jeff??

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:34 pm

[quote=""DFWCC""]Jeff!! Who the hell is Jeff??[/quote]

Srceen Name: JeffKuntz

DatDude
Site Admin

Post by DatDude » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:39 pm

[quote=""50 Yard Fan""]The league might be a one and done league, but I think they will make it through the season without too many problems.

The AIF is the league you should be taking bets on.

Of course this is just all IMHO. :) [/quote]

The AIF? Whats up with that League that we should be taking bets on?

Return to “X-League”