A Giant will sit in the stands

The Professional Indoor Football League (PIFL) forum
DFWCC
Site Admin

A Giant will sit in the stands

Post by DFWCC » Mon May 11, 2015 5:25 pm

A Giant (Jon D'Angelo) will now take his seat in the stands at Erie Insurance Arena. Truly a devastating loss. :( :(

Retirement of Jon D’Angelo #24

(Erie, PA)- The Erie Explosion have announced the retirement of linebacker Jon D’Angelo who has been a mainstay of the Erie defense since 2012. D’Angelo a product of Marietta suffered a season ending knee injury in Sunday’s loss to the Richmond Raiders. D’Angelo ends his career with the Explosion as a four year starter at linebacker, a three time All-League Honoree, and helped the Explosion to back to back league championships from 2013-2014. During the 2015 season D’Angelo has led the Explosion in tackles with (20.5), and interceptions (3) from his Jack linebacker position. D’Angelo who indicated that the 2015 season would be his last as a professional prior to the start of the season, ends his career as one of the best players to ever put on an Erie Explosion uniform.
“It is with a heavy heart that I must retire due to an injury. God has blessed me to be a part of this organization for the past 4 years, and I feel that my career would not have been as successful as it was anywhere else. There were several ups and downs this season but through it all I knew the coaches and organization would never give up on us. I will be forever proud to be a part of the Erie Explosion family,” commented Jon D’Angelo.
Since joining the Explosion in 2012, D’Angelo has been regarded as one of the top linebackers in all of professional indoor football. D’Angelo led the Erie defense to the leagues number one ranking in 2013 and 2014 as the team captured back to back league championships. He was named to the first team all-league team for his efforts in 2013 where the Explosion finished the season undefeated with a perfect (12-0) record. D’Angelo finished the 2012 season with (74) total tackles, (5.5) sacks, and (11) tackles for a loss. His biggest impact of the 2012 season may have come on his game winning interception in the first round of the playoffs to cement an Erie victory in the final minute of the game against the Marion Blue Racers. He joined the Explosion following a standout season with the Northern Kentucky Rivermonsters in 2012 where he led the league in tackles and earned all-league honors. D’Angelo gained additional experience as an ambassador of American football in Brazil when he played for the Vila Velha Tritoes in 2012.
“It has been an absolute pleasure coaching one of the top linebackers in all of indoor football over the past seasons. Jon has been instrumental to the success that our franchise has achieved on the field and he is a champion in every sense of the word. For all of his accolades on the field of play, Jon’s impact off the field, in the community, and in our locker room is what truly makes him great. Jon has been an excellent ambassador of professional indoor football in the Erie community and beyond and he will be just as successful as he focuses his talents on the game of life. He will forever be a member of the Erie Explosion family and we are wishing for his continued success,” commented Erie Head Coach Shawn Liotta.

NashVenom
Site Admin

Post by NashVenom » Mon May 11, 2015 7:28 pm

Man that sucks. I hope he heals quick and wish him the best in the future.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Mon May 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Not trying to make excuses here it is what it is, **** happens, but it sure sux
when you're trying to remain competitive.

We have lost so many starters this yr. I've followed this team for the last 7 yrs and have never seen such a bad yr injury wise.
Twombly WR/DB still out shoulder
Rowser K @70% shoulder
L. Johnson OL ACL out season
3 others are still out nursing hopefully return against Trenton

These 6 went down on Sun against the Venom. All starters
D'Angelo DB out med retirement
Sinclair QB Knee out season
Espinosa QB needs Elbow drained & Xrayed --- Erie looking for a QB
Hammer FB/OL knee out?
M. Williams knee out?
Junior DB

NashVenom
Site Admin

Post by NashVenom » Mon May 11, 2015 11:18 pm

Yeah I know, it sucks. We've had our share as well.

We lost a WR a few weeks ago to a neck injury and it was scary. He has retired from football. Lost our starting center after the first game. Lost a DB for the year right out of the gate. Then we lost our kicker to the AFL (I know not the same thing). And just various injuries that keep guys out of the lineup.

This is a tough sports.

firehawk5
Site Admin

Post by firehawk5 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:31 pm

Well the Explosion have signed QB Steffen Colon, who played last year with Richmond and Harrisburg. This year he went to camp with Trenton and has more recently been picked up by Buffalo of the AIF.

The Explosion have also added C. J. Tarver from the Saginaw Sting.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Tue May 12, 2015 9:08 pm

Oh vay...
Mi growa bole.. (my head hurts :rolleyes :)
Another Starting WR for the Explosion just picked-up his
Insurance claim today.
Alfonso Hoggard an absolute essential to Erie's offense.
Big Ouch!! :(
4 new players showing up for practice tonight.
Just arrived Jerimiah Fennel (sp?)
Needs to clear Medical

Return to “PIFL”