Erie signs kicker due to injury.

The Professional Indoor Football League (PIFL) forum
DFWCC
Site Admin

Erie signs kicker due to injury.

Post by DFWCC » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:21 pm

Shon Rowser Erie Explosion veteran kicker was slammed into the boards by at Allentown's PPL center in front of 3,103 Lehigh Valley Steelhawk fans.
During a blown field goal attempt Shon picked up a loose football rolled to his right and was hit just as he was releasing the ball for an attempted pass.

From the ERIE TIMES-NEWS
Explosion sign veteran kicker for injured Rowser

An injury to kicker Shon Rowser led Erie Explosion coach Shawn Liotta to sign an emergency replacement who is older than he is for this week's game.
With Rowser out with a dislocated shoulder, Liotta brought in former Citadel kicker Rob Avierett, whose final year of college was 1991, when the 34-year-old Liotta was 11.
To add even more intrigue, Avriett is a barefoot kicker.
The last barefoot kicker to play regularly in the NFL was Rich Karlis, who retired in 1990.
"He's a talented guy," Liotta said of Avriett, who lives in Tennessee. "He was actually on another team in this league as a emergency kicker, and that's how I got someone to vouch for him. I asked a buddy of mine, 'Can he kick?' and he was like, 'Yeah, he's got a strong leg.' "
Rowser was injured when he was hit while attempting a pass on a botched field-goal attempt in last week's loss at Lehigh Valley. Liotta said Rowser is out indefinitely.

- This week's opponent, the ASI Panthers, is a replacement for the Harrisburg Stampede, who folded during the offseason.
Liotta said the Panthers' roster includes several players who were with Harrisburg, and the team is coached by the Stampede's former coach, Bernie Nowotarski.
The game will count in the overall PIFL standings but won't have playoff implications.
The Explosion are 0-3.
Because some PIFL teams are playing 11-game schedules and others are playing 12 games, winning percentage against PIFL opponents will be used to set the postseason field, Liotta said.

- Rookie quarterback Mason Espinosa appears to have taken control of the position following a competition against Jeff Sinclair that lasted throughout camp and into the regular season.
Espinosa played a full game in last week's 59-33 loss to Lehigh Valley, throwing for 331 yards with three touchdowns and three interceptions.
"I think he put up good numbers, and I think we've put some good people around him," Liotta said. "We still need to see those guys get better, and I have a lot of faith in Jeff as well. But (Espinosa) got into a rhythm and I wanted to stick with him, and I think that was important."
Espinosa has completed 56 percent of his passes (47-of-84) for 502 yards with five touchdowns and five interceptions in three games.
"We're doing a good job of getting in here and getting reps at practice, and the more game-speed reps we get the more it's slowing down for me," Espinosa said. "The only way that happens is to get as many reps as you can. If I'm not getting a (live) rep, I get a mental rep and go through my reads while I'm standing behind the huddle. That's the only way to get it to slow down."

JOHN DUDLEY can be reached at 870-1677 or by e-mail. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/ETNdudley.

Return to “PIFL”