Fate of Albany Panthers remains uncertain

The Professional Indoor Football League (PIFL) forum
4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:51 am

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Professi ... 8430250831

Not official post but a post says playing in Rome Ga....

Interesting

BananaCat
Site Admin

Post by BananaCat » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:38 am

[quote=""VinnyTheViper""]Historically, the team is rebranded under a new LLC, granted this would only be the second instance of this in league history, so it is not much of a history. The first instance happened during the season so the only logical outcome was to try to use the same players and coaching staff. Since this one happened in the off season, not so sure that all of the players and staff would automatically transfer, that said, I believe that the players are more likely to transfer than the coaching staff would, note that my previous post, from the PIFL compliance officer, which only references the Albany players but does not address the coaching staff. There is no way the league would take over the Albany Panthers, LLC, the league or any new owner would definitely want a totally new legal entity to ensure seperation from any debt or legal issues that might be tied to a defunct team's LLC. The Louisianna Swashbucklers were rebranded last season to the Louisiana Buccaneers for the final four games of the season. I expect that as soon as the rebranding process has been completed, then we will see an announcement of the new team.[/quote]
That's what I figured, thanks.

Ah, I didn't realize that the Louisiana Swashbucklers were also rebranded under a new LLC as the Louisiana Buccaneers to finish out the season last year. I just assumed the league paid for the Swashbucklers travel to finish out the season. It makes a lot sense though, to escape being held accountable for the debts of the folded ownership.

It's never easy for a league when a team folds during the season or right before the season is to start and they were on the schedule. So far the PIFL has made good moves in handling both situations. I don't like travel-only teams, but the Buccaneers were one of the best handled travel-only teams in the history of the sport (still competitive on the field as well). When a team folds a week or two before the season I actually prefer the league to move on without that team and to adjust the schedule for the remaining teams accordingly. Most of the time when a league tries to put together another team to fill the folded team's place right before the season begins, it doesn't work out well out all. I hope the PIFL can pull it off though.

I absolutely hate when these smaller indoor leagues (such as the AIF) use replacement players or masquerade non-pro teams as a team that folded in their league. I know the PIFL won't let that happen though.
Indoor Football Forum .com

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:22 pm

50 Yard Fan, I would say you are on Fire! The logo appears to be in the shape of the state of Georgia with flames burning out of the NW corner of the state.
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:41 pm

[quote=""BananaCat""]That's what I figured, thanks.

Ah, I didn't realize that the Louisiana Swashbucklers were also rebranded under a new LLC as the Louisiana Buccaneers to finish out the season last year. I just assumed the league paid for the Swashbucklers travel to finish out the season. It makes a lot sense though, to escape being held accountable for the debts of the folded ownership.

It's never easy for a league when a team folds during the season or right before the season is to start and they were on the schedule. So far the PIFL has made good moves in handling both situations. I don't like travel-only teams, but the Buccaneers were one of the best handled travel-only teams in the history of the sport (still competitive on the field as well). When a team folds a week or two before the season I actually prefer the league to move on without that team and to adjust the schedule for the remaining teams accordingly. Most of the time when a league tries to put together another team to fill the folded team's place right before the season begins, it doesn't work out well out all. I hope the PIFL can pull it off though.

I absolutely hate when these smaller indoor leagues (such as the AIF) use replacement players or masquerade non-pro teams as a team that folded in their league. I know the PIFL won't let that happen though.[/quote]

The key to the PIFL handling of the Swashbucklers situation was the league got in early and got the attention of the players and the coaching staff and informed them that they were wanted and that they would be paid in full for the rest of the season for any game played. They were also informed that they were eligible for the playoffs, at the time that the team ran into trouble, Louisiana was in a playoff race. The league arranged for the bus transportation for Louisiana for the remaining games, everything was supposed to be as normal as possible, with the exception of the fact that they were road games and if memory serves me correctly, two of the final three games were road games anyway.

I believe that the PIFL will act similar with this situation in Albany, it will obviously be a bigger bill to foot this time because it is the whole season. The facebook post to the players by the league is an obvious attempt by the league to make sure that no player falls through the cracks. This is the type of behavior that seperates this league from leagues who choose to cut corners.

To all those leagues out there that just throw something together in order to scrape by, BEHAVIOR DOES MATTER!
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:42 pm

From the Georgia Fire Facebook Page 2/24/2014:

"We will be annoucing a lot of details soon.
One note - We will have a tryout Sat, Mar 8th, details will be out by end of the day Tuesday, but you can make plans to be in Rome and show us what you got. More to come in the next 24 hours. Burn baby Burn!"

Arena-fan
Site Admin

Post by Arena-fan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:35 pm

Will the team have the Panthers coaching staff and players?

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:37 pm

I would not expect the Albany players to be made free agents as a result of the team changing locations. Looking at the few comments that the league has made regarding the players, I would expect the new franchise to retain the players rights, the league could simply not afford to allow players to jump from the Albany roster to other PIFL rosters this close to the start of the season. There has been no hint about what happens to the coaching staff so it is anybody's guess what happens along that front.

Also noticed that the PIFL website has purged all news articles about Albany from its website, the Albany logo, team link and player transactions are still there, but news stories are gone.
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

50 Yard Fan
Site Admin

Post by 50 Yard Fan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Vinny, please check you private messages. Thanks

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:07 pm

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Knoxvill ... 1154979050

The Knoxville Nighthawks facebook page under "Photos" has the best examples of the rebranded Louisiana helmet that I can find, the helmet sticker was changed from the Swashbuckers logo to a script letter "Bucs" on either side of the helmet. The team played with these helmet stickers for the final three 2013 road games at Huntsville, Knoxville, and Richmond. The helmet sticker change was the only visbile change that was made to uniforms.

Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:37 am, edited 6 times in total.

youwish16
Site Admin

Post by youwish16 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:19 pm

As an Albany fan who has been to 98% of their home games since they came to exist.....THIS SUCKS. Does not suprise me though, Albany can't keep any sort of sports team around.

I thought the Panthers would be different though. Crowds seemed to be pretty good.
Albany Panthers

Return to “PIFL”