More Expansion News

The Professional Indoor Football League (PIFL) forum
SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:59 pm

The "X-Dash" is a ripoff of the XFL. Remember they tried that and I think somebody got his shoulder dislocated. And that was on a grass field, not on artificial turf on top of reinforced concrete.

And there's no real benefit to winning it unless you win the kickoff for both halves and overtime.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Madison Weekly News (http://www.madisonweeklynews.com) Volume 4, Number 52
By Bob Labbe

Alabama Hammers
I met with Alabama Hammer's owner Jeff Knight recently and we sat and talked Hammers football and what's in store for the next season of indoor football for the defending Professional Indoor Football League (PIFL) champions.

"Our league is in better postion than it's ever been as we're getting people's attention," said Knight. "We've accomplished something by getting the talent in here that's at least getting looked at by the NFL".

Knight went on to speak about how the PIFL is currently negotiating TV rights for possible broadcasts with Comcast and Fox Sports. The league has already expanded two teams for the upcoming season, which begins in April, and the possiblility of having a team in Birmingham, too. Atlanta looks to join the PIFL in 2015.

The walk-up ticket sales for the Hammers win in the championship game earlier this year at the VBC was outstanding and the City of Huntsville administration has taken note. "That got people's attention for sure," said Knight. "The last four games of the season this past year felt like it used to feel like when the Tennessee Valley Vipers was the team in the confines of the VBC. We saw a lot of energy from the fans."

Knight added corporate response has been outstanding and the Vipers fans, many of which walked away when the Hammers began play, are returning to their seats they once had in the VBC. Knight added, "We're getting back our professional league and product."
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:19 pm

This is the first public acknowledgement by the league as far as the networks that the league has been negotiating with for a game of the week format for the league. This contract will not prohibit teams from also negotiating their own local TV contracs if they desire to do so. I expect at least one team to have their own local TV contract for 2014.

The above article was written prior to the deal for a team in Birmingham fell through, there will not be a PIFL team in Birmingham for 2014. Additionally, for there to be a PIFL team in Atlanta in 2015, some existing tenants of a building would likely have to vacate. There are definite leads for further expansion into 2015 that are already in the works, I expect at least three more teams to be added next season, and none of these three are Atlanta, but all three are in the South.

Finally, the season will not begin in April, it will begin in March, I believe that March 29th is the likely opening weekend.
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

indooreast
Site Admin

Post by indooreast » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:43 pm

I know here with the Steelhawks they have their own local broadcast on Service Electric TV2 Sports. They do the games live for the team and have former Philadelphia Eagle Garry Cobb as one of their color commentators. They also do a weekly coaches show which I catch from time to time. It is pretty cool, and great exposure here.

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:19 pm

[quote=""VinnyTheViper""]The status of the eighth and final team is currently being finalized. The 2014 schedule (8 teams) has now been distributed to the owners for final approval, once approved, the schedule should be announced shortly thereafter.[/quote]

Ladies and gentlemen. I give you the Nashville Venom

http://www.NashvilleVenom.com

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:43 pm

[quote=""coachingubigr""]Ladies and gentlemen. I give you the Nashville Venom

http://www.NashvilleVenom.com[/quote]

Was not sure of the actual name that would be selected, there were three names/logos under consideration, the logo you found is certainly consistent with one of the three options that was considered. Furthermore, both the domain name and website went live today, the fact that this name was selected over the other two tells me something about the potential ownership of the team. As a result of these latest revelations, I can confirm that the Knoxville franchise is gone and that Nashville is indeed the eighth and final team for 2014. Good find by you.
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:22 pm

Now that the selection process for the 2014 season is now completed, I can reveal that in all, 20 different cities/markets were looked at during the recruiting process. The markets considered break out from these following states:

Alabama = 1 market, none selected
Florida = 1 market, none selected
Georgia = 3 markets, none selected
Kentucky = 1 market, none selected
Louisiana = 2 markets, none selected
North Carolina = 2 markets, none selected
New Jersey = 1 market, Trenton selected
New York = 2 markets, none selected
Pennsylvania = 2 markets, Harrisburg selected
South Carolina = 1 market, none selected
Tennessee = 2 markets, Nashville selected
Texas= 1 market, none selected
Virginia = 1 market, none selected

Four of the twenty markets that were considered were existing teams in existing leagues, of those four, only Harrisburg was selected.

One can also assume that 2015 recruitment list will likely contain some of the cities that did not make the cut in 2014.

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:10 am

What can I say? I got lucky this afternoon.

arenafan
Site Admin

2014 Sesaon

Post by arenafan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:23 am

[quote=""VinnyTheViper""]This is the first public acknowledgement by the league as far as the networks that the league has been negotiating with for a game of the week format for the league. This contract will not prohibit teams from also negotiating their own local TV contracs if they desire to do so. I expect at least one team to have their own local TV contract for 2014.

The above article was written prior to the deal for a team in Birmingham fell through, there will not be a PIFL team in Birmingham for 2014. Additionally, for there to be a PIFL team in Atlanta in 2015, some existing tenants of a building would likely have to vacate. There are definite leads for further expansion into 2015 that are already in the works, I expect at least three more teams to be added next season, and none of these three are Atlanta, but all three are in the South.

Finally, the season will not begin in April, it will begin in March, I believe that March 29th is the likely opening weekend.[/quote]

March 22 is the opening game for the league this year.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:40 pm

[quote=""arenafan""]March 22 is the opening game for the league this year.[/quote]

You got me on this one, what I should have said is that most teams will open on March 29th, if I remember correctly, there is only one game on the March 22 weekend, arena availability issues forced the league to start a week earlier than they had wished.

Return to “PIFL”