More Expansion News

The Professional Indoor Football League (PIFL) forum
SugarBear
Site Admin

Getting pumped

Post by SugarBear » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:22 am

I'm getting pretty excited to see who will be joining the PIFL this year. I really like what they're doing and where they're headed.

However, I am still curious about the Trenton team though. I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer" but as I mentioned in prior posts, I went to two games and there were 1,500 fans tops (and yes, they did hand out some free tickets - my friend and I were actually handed two and we walked down to the 3rd row)

I'm not sure what they officially reported (I believe it was stated somewhere around 3,000, which is insane) I'm being generous with my figures. Trenton is a real tough sell to NJ residents. I hope the new ownership group is really connected.

You can see for yourself:
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/trenton/crime/

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2013 ... ecord.html

Overall, I still do wish them well.

I hope if they are approved by the PIFL, they go with a NJ moniker instead of Trenton...or even use "Mercer County XXXX"...there are some nice towns, such as Princeton and Lawrenceville within that county....I believe most of their support won't come from the city of Trenton itself anyways.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:15 pm

The Trenton Thunder AA baseball team in the Eastern League draws quite well.
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... tt&lid=113
Ave @ 5,400 and 3rd most in the league. With the right mktg and building trust with the fans, Trenton could be a nice profitable franchise.

Hockey
Site Admin

Post by Hockey » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:57 pm

[quote=""SugarBear""]

I hope if they are approved by the PIFL, they go with a NJ moniker instead of Trenton...or even use "Mercer County XXXX"...there are some nice towns, such as Princeton and Lawrenceville within that county....I believe most of their support won't come from the city of Trenton itself anyways.[/quote]

Or Capital City.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:25 pm

In the last week, the AIF has gotten committments from both Baltimore and Atlanta, these were both cities/markets that the PIFL was talking to, however these two were not at the top of the list of the twelve markets the PIFL is/was talking to regarding 2014 expansion. I am expecting a couple of surprises that will shock some fans.

wetdawg
Site Admin

Post by wetdawg » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:44 am

Hey anymore word about Bham? I heard it's a done deal from some people but nothing from official channels.

Androo402
Site Admin

Post by Androo402 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Anybody ever heard of Bill Harris Arena in Birmingham?

Ran across an article talking about it today, didn't know there was an arena in the near-Bimingham area. It's a part of the Crossplex/Fairgrounds. It's a 6,000 seat place, anybody know if it's big enough for a field?

Currently home to the Birmingham Blitz.

Perhaps this is where Birmingham's team could go.

wetdawg
Site Admin

Post by wetdawg » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:41 pm

[quote=""Androo402""]Anybody ever heard of Bill Harris Arena in Birmingham?

Ran across an article talking about it today, didn't know there was an arena in the near-Bimingham area. It's a part of the Crossplex/Fairgrounds. It's a 6,000 seat place, anybody know if it's big enough for a field?

Currently home to the Birmingham Blitz.

Perhaps this is where Birmingham's team could go.[/quote]

Yeah it's where the SWAC has heald there basketball championships. It's at the old state fairgrounds location now home to the Crossplex that they haold track and field as well as swiming and diving things. I don't know if it would hold the field. Bartow seat wise would be perfect but I doubt it would hold a field. Pelham Civic complex possibly would but that place can only hold 3500 jam packed in there like cord wood.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Update to what I believe is going on in the expansion process, I will not speak to the specific franchises (however there have been rumored franchises clearly indentified via media outlets, those articles appeared earlier in this thread), it is more appropriate for the league to announce the actual teams:

1. Currently, I expect three new teams for 2014, this would bring the league total to eight teams for 2014. Two of the new teams are located in the north and the other new team is located in the south. It is possible that the first of these teams will be announced the last week of September, the second team could be announced as early as the first week of October, and the third team, not sure when that annoucement would be made.

2. There is still the possiblilty that additional franchises could be added as teams are still being discussed at the league level. I believe that there are as many as five other franchise possibilities that fall into this category, however time is getting short, so I can not hazard a guess to whether any of these potential teams will actually make the final list. Again, expect an even number of teams, so if any more teams came out of this group, it would likely be two or four teams, and more likely just two.
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 9 times in total.

50 Yard Fan
Site Admin

Post by 50 Yard Fan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:48 am

[quote=""VinnyTheViper""]
1. Currently, I expect three new teams for 2014, this would bring the league total to eight teams for 2014. Two of the new teams are located in the north and the other new team is located in the south. It is possible that the first of these teams will be announced the last week of September, the second team could be announced as early as the first week of October, and the third team, not sure when that annoucement would be made.[/quote]

Vinny - Why do you only get eight teams with the addition of 3 new teams. There are 6 active teams in the league at this point, or is one current team folding?

Return to “PIFL”