Top Minor League in the US??

KDLHX
Site Admin

Top Minor League in the US??

Post by KDLHX » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Good Morning Ladies and Gentleman I have a question for everybody and I would like to get your opinion. I hear and see a lot of people saying their league is the top league behind the D league the PBL-IBA,IBL,ABA,UBA,UBL etc. All say they are the best I know we have people on OSC that have been apart of these leagues. From top to bottom meaning organization,talent,exposure, fan base the whole nine. I want to know what league you think is the top league under the D League in the states and why?

dmbishop
Site Admin

Post by dmbishop » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:41 pm

For you Kevin or overall?

Unfortunately there are a number of small regional leagues that seem to be doing ok, but wouldn't be appropriate for you (TRBL, FBA, etc.).

Wasn't there a Texas / Arkansas regional league a few years ago? Did they ever get off the ground or are they just a distant memory?

In my opinion, the best run non-DL minor league is in Canada. They are keeping expectations down and growing slowly.

Dave

KDLHX
Site Admin

Post by KDLHX » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Dave,

Hello no I was not talking about for me I was just asking in general because talking to different people you hear different things so I wanted to know what everybody thought. Right now from what I am hearing the IBA-PBL Merger put them at the top and made them better than the IBL. I have not seen a game in person only on youtube, I know there are people that is either in these leagues or was apart of them as a fan or owner. I have seen UBA,UBL,ABA,WBA games and out of those the ABA has the most talent. But I never seen these teams play IBA,PBL,or IBL teams

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Kevin,

Sorry if I sound sarcastic, but your thread title turned oxy-moronic during the body of your first post. As...Per your query, there really is no "top" minor basketball league above the D-League to flaunt. With the fall of the CBA (Between the "Isiah days" and its last shoe to fall) we've lost that for now. For that reason, your question equals that of asking "Who is the best miniature golfer, that could possibly go on to be a top pro on the PGA Tour", "What desert would be the best for building on outdoor ice rink and winter-wonderland park at?", or "What is the third most "major" baseball league after the American and National leagues?"

Honestly, I think you answered your own question:
From top to bottom meaning organization,talent,exposure, fan base the whole nine.

While we see some that have the better (non-NBA, D-League) players, get games played, have well run websites, sell tickets, are noticed in the home city, most importantly (have longevity league and franchise wise)...We still have a long way to go.

I for one wish any of the above leagues you mention, would give it a serious try. In their defense, in this economy and with the media makeup being much different than even 20 years ago. When a CBA or AHL game may have been the only way for a local to really be a part of a fanbase of a sports team. The deck is probably stacked way against them from the get go.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

KDLHX
Site Admin

Post by KDLHX » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Tops804

Thank you for your input.

Return to “General Basketball”