Expansion & Stability

The National Basketball League of Canada
(NBL Canada) forum
south florida basketball
Site Admin

Expansion & Stability

Post by south florida basketball » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 am

Read the reports on the NBL made by the commisioner wiith interest! he appears to be set on focuising on some more smaller communities in Ontario verses expanding across the county in the bigger markets.They are probably thinking that they are saving on travel costs. These smaller markets will not cut it will not be around long term. The league must develop the larger markets to make this league work! He spoke about television, the small markets will do nothing to help get a TV deal! The league needs the Hamiliton's , Winnipegs, Edmonton's, Calgary's ect to survive and get a tv deal.

The commisioner and the league needs to learn very quickly that the commissioner/league office needs to be a venue generator for the teams!

bluenoser
Site Admin

Shut Up You A--hole

Post by bluenoser » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:01 am

[quote=""south florida basketball""]Read the reports on the NBL made by the commisioner wiith interest! he appears to be set on focuising on some more smaller communities in Ontario verses expanding across the county in the bigger markets.They are probably thinking that they are saving on travel costs. These smaller markets will not cut it will not be around long term. The league must develop the larger markets to make this league work! He spoke about television, the small markets will do nothing to help get a TV deal! The league needs the Hamiliton's , Winnipegs, Edmonton's, Calgary's ect to survive and get a tv deal.

The commisioner and the league needs to learn very quickly that the commissioner/league office needs to be a venue generator for the teams!
[/quote]

Name me one non-NBA-but-not-in-Europe-basketball league that has thrived focusing on larger urban centres. Let me save you the time - you can't. Stick to South FLA - you're obviously an expert.

The NBLC will be fine but the geography of CAN obviously escapes you.

PS Invest in some spelling/grammar check.

south florida basketball
Site Admin

Bluenoser

Post by south florida basketball » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 pm

I notice you have a difference of opinion,seems my comments have hit a soft spot for you! I trust you will be mature enough in the future to learn to express your opinion without feeling a need to tear people down with derogatory comments!

For your information I am a Canadian and happen to know the country very well and have a home in the beautiful mountains in Banff and a home in Ontario where i grew up.I don't reside in any city where there is a franchise but am a season ticket holder and have never attended any game.How about you?

i am far from a expert but am smart enough to understand that the small regional markets do nothing in the long term to create a national league across Canada and even less in terms of attracting a revenue producing television deal. I also understand the teams need a league office that is revenue generating verses a expense. The present small markets literally tie the hands of the league office in terms of generating the income needed to support the teams.The smaller markets were and are needed to get the league started but very few will survive! The fans in Halifax and London want to see teams from the major markets and the staff will find it very tough to market the smaller markets coming into their cities.

You make the point that no minor league in basketball has survived in major markets in the US, your right nor has any football league. Canada is different as you will know with the CFL success, the NBL is a good idea and a will succeed if they move quickly to larger markets with solid ownership.

Sorry about my grammar and spelling mistakes hopefully you can provide a mature response! Bluenose have a wonderful day!

WallysWorld
Site Admin

Post by WallysWorld » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Being from Calgary, I used to attend WBL Calgary 88's games at the Saddledome. The 88's averaged very well with crowds hovering around 7,000 including one crowd of 14,000 versus the Halifax Windjammers. The WBL teams in Saskatchewan and Winnipeg also did very well.

I'm hoping that NBL Canada moves out west eventually.

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:45 pm

I'd rule out most major cities in Canada - minor league sports just don't work in their overserved sports' makets. Losing boatloads of money won't help the league become viable OR get a TV deal.

Mid-major markets, such as Halifax and London, have proven to be successful hosts for this level of sport. I would even stretch to include Ottawa and Winnipeg as cities that could be potentially viable markets. Yes, big names help, but the CHL shows that you can get a TV deal with franchises in smaller markets as well.

I'd like to see a few more Ontario teams followed by a slow and controlled move out West. Ottawa, Saskatoon, Regina, Calgary and Victoria are all places I would like to see the league look at eventually.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:24 pm

I would LOVE to see teams in Windsor and Sault Ste. Marie...close to the USA border, they have some BEAUTIFUL new arenas as well as a recruiting advantage that makes success easier (it's sure worked for London)
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

Hockey
Site Admin

Post by Hockey » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:01 am

They might as well hope a meteor filled with new rare metals crashes into their office, because that is the same likely hood a valuable TV contract is the future of this league.

This is minor league sports, it will be expanded like minor league sports. They need to go into markets with a defined advertising area and remain logistically economical.

LR Lightning
Site Admin

Post by LR Lightning » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:52 pm

once the league proves that it will be around for more than just a year or two,then investors and the public in general will get on board. Til then we have to wait and see.

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Hamilton might work, but otherwise the advice is wise. Toronto isn't going to work for the minors, and Ottawa might be a stretch, though college teams there are popular.

Even the AHL turns over a team or two a year, so it wouldn't be unexpected to see the same time here.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 am

The NBA had to prove itself in smaller markets before some larger markets thought the venture worth entering.

You can't get TV by forcing into ANY markets. You get TV by enticing the larger markets to buy in. That's much more than a subtle difference in process to get from A to B.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Return to “NBL Canada”