Team Thread: Halifax Rainmen

The National Basketball League of Canada
(NBL Canada) forum
misenern
Site Admin

Team Thread: Halifax Rainmen

Post by misenern » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:50 pm

I figured I would just create a team thread to avoid making tons of new topics for stuff like this.

Good article in The Chronicle Herald today about Sanders and Jeanty adjusting to playing for the Rainmen:
Happy in Halifax
Sanders, Jeanty excited about opportunity to play for Halifax Rainmen
By CHAD LUCAS Sports Reporter
Fri. Dec 5 - 7:56 AM

Like every ABA player visiting Halifax last season, Cordell Jeanty spent long minutes trying to stay loose as the Metro Centre lights dimmed and the Rainmen ran onto the court, accompanied by a video montage, dancers and rap music played by a live DJ.

The theatrical pre-game show was unique in a league where most teams played in college or high-school gyms and some barely bothered to keep accurate statistics. It certainly made an impression on Jeanty.

"It’s very professional," he said. "It was a little bit long, but I enjoyed every minute of it."

The Toronto native will be on the other side of that experience after signing with the Rainmen in the off-season. Jeanty, a two-time ABA all-star with the Quebec Kebs and Montreal Royal, said he’s been intrigued by Halifax ever since meeting owner Andre Levingston at the ABA all-star game here in January 2007.

"(Andre and I) have been talking since (the all-star game) and he’s always been interested in having me," Jeanty said Thursday as the Rainmen practiced at Halifax West high school. "Now that I had the opportunity, I just jumped on it."

The same goes for Rob Sanders, who played in Halifax as a member of the Manchester Millrats last season and was similarly impressed by the franchise and its fans.

"It got me hyped for the game. In the ABA, you’re not used to seeing all those fans," said Sanders, an ABA all-star in 2007 with the Cape Cod Frenzy. "(The team) was really organized, and I just wanted to come up here and experience it for myself."

After watching both players run roughshod over the Rainmen last season, coach Rick Lewis is glad to have Jeanty and Sanders on his team.

The six-foot-eight Sanders and six-foot-five Jeanty are tough, aggressive players who should give Halifax an edge it didn’t have last year, Lewis said.

"Both of them shot a lot of free throws against us last year," Lewis said. "They’re smart about being able to take contact and still get their shot off after that contact. That’s a thing we were missing last year. They’re battlers. It puts them in a position to mix it up, get rebounds and get to the free-throw line."

Sanders and Jeanty are used to being among the go-to players on their teams. But they said they’re looking forward to playing in a talented lineup that includes returning stars Eric Crookshank and Brian Silverhorn and former NCAA talents Kevin Hammack and SirValiant Brown.

"It’s a comfortable situation," Jeanty said. "It’s not like other teams I’ve played on where I have to be one of the primary scorers. I can help out more and look at my role in other ways."

Sanders and Jeanty said the team is coming together quickly — they all feel each other’s pain after coach Lewis’s epically tough workouts.

"Honestly? It’s hard," Sanders said. "It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I’m sore, tired, fatigued. Coach is making us better, though."

Jeanty agreed. "It’s hard work, but it’s going to make me a better player. I’m going to be in the best shape I’ve been in in a long time, if not ever."

Both players said they’re anxious to get through training camp and start playing real games, where the Halifax fans will be cheering for them this time.

"It’s the fan support that drew me most," Jeanty said. "Teams I played with in the past, we had fan support but nothing like this. A lot of people here like basketball and I’m excited to be a part of that."
It's good to see top players not being afraid to move out to Halifax to play for the team.

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:28 pm

PEI native Nathan Clark left camp today.

Frank Mart
Site Admin

Post by Frank Mart » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:59 pm

They are looking for a center to replace Jason McGriff and then partner with Tyronne McNeal. If Andre Levigston remains committed to bring an NBA veteran can try Shawn Kemp or Vin Baker (recently cut to CBA China try out).

It may not offer great performance at the arena, but may give 20 minutes of basketball and a complete Halifax Metro Center. It's marketing...

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:43 pm

[quote=""Frank Mart""]They are looking for a center to replace Jason McGriff and then partner with Tyronne McNeal. If Andre Levigston remains committed to bring an NBA veteran can try Shawn Kemp or Vin Baker (recently cut to CBA China try out).

It may not offer great performance at the arena, but may give 20 minutes of basketball and a complete Halifax Metro Center. It's marketing...[/quote]

I agree that it would be nice for marketing purposes, but this team is already loaded up front. I don't think these NBA guys would accept playing a smaller role. We basically just need a big guy who can play solid D and rebound for 10-15 minutes a game. A role player with a team-first attitude.

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:40 pm

Rainmen sign guard Glen Dandridge.

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:08 pm

I am not happy about this at all. What a stupid, stupid move.

Great, now Halifax have four small forwards on the roster and no real two guard. That is a maddening signing, I just hope that Mayes or Dandridge burn out and go home.

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:26 pm

I like Mayes, but Dandridge just doesn't fill a pressing need at all. It's like they were looking for Nathan Clark's twin.

We need a legit two guard for a number of reasons.

Frank Mart
Site Admin

Post by Frank Mart » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Starting line-up Halifax Rainmen?

Sirvaliant Brown/Twyman-Brian Silverhorn/Jeanty-Rob Sanders-Eric Crookshank-Center (McNeal)

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:27 pm

Maybe I am just cranky but this is a terrible press release. Not Gwizzlies terrible, but definitely bad:
(Halifax, N.S.) The Halifax Rainmen have just signed NCAA D1 Glen Dandridge. The University of Missouri Alumus ( 2004-2007) will play the position of shooting guard in the one and the two for this upcoming season. Dandridge also attended Lambuth University a NAIA D1 school, where he was 1st Team All-American.

"Glen has unlimited 3-point range, with a soft touch for mid-range," said Team Coach Rick Lewis. "Glen is a great rebounder with outstanding length to get into passing lanes on defense."

Dandridge was selected to participate in The College Basketball Invitational in Wadsworth, Ohio, 60 players were selected out of all D1 schools.

Dandridge arrives in Halifax in the evening Saturday December 13th. View Dandrige's video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F9cMW3pMPM

*Please note: The Rainmen will play a Blue and White game on Saturday December 13th at Horton High in Wolfville at 7pm. This game is open to the public.

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:41 pm

[quote=""CHris902""]Maybe I am just cranky but this is a terrible press release. Not Gwizzlies terrible, but definitely bad:[/quote]

Rick "5 on, 5 off" Lewis probably wrote it.

Return to “NBL Canada”