Team Thread: Halifax Rainmen

The National Basketball League of Canada
(NBL Canada) forum
Frank Mart
Site Admin

Post by Frank Mart » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:53 pm

[quote=""misenern""]Rainmen sign Canals as new coach.

What a strange, yet inspired pick for head coach. Canals is a coach with an impressive pro resume in high level leagues and a wealth experince with FIBA rules, but he's spent most of his career in Spain and Puerto Rico. This move almost comes out of nowhere. I don't know much about this guy, but my first impressions are good. A surprising move to say the least.

Frank, do you have any information to add?[/quote]

Said and done ...

http://frankmartminors.blogspot.com/201 ... os-is.html

Thanks
http://frankmartminors.blogspot.com/
Follow me twitter: franMartblog...

noreaster78
Site Admin

Imressions on Joey Haywood and home Game #1

Post by noreaster78 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:43 pm

So my biggest takeaway from last nights game was Joey Haywood who if you believe the internet goes by the moniker of Joey "King Handles" Haywood. (I love this BTW)
I think the reason the Metro Center was so quiet last night was a lack of personality players. I don't know if I am an educated enough fan to make bold assumptions but he looked to be the best man on the floor at the end of the game. Is this because he was playing in "garbage time" or the guy that big of a pickup for the team?

Also last night felt "weird" at the Metro Center. The new thunder was awkward with the crowd, and with no Nate the great, and the stupid dollar store half time games it felt a little cheap. Especially when three years ago we had Danny Fernandez kicking off the season with a half time show. Thoughts?

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:40 pm

[quote=""noreaster78""]So my biggest takeaway from last nights game was Joey Haywood who if you believe the internet goes by the moniker of Joey "King Handles" Haywood. (I love this BTW)
I think the reason the Metro Center was so quiet last night was a lack of personality players. I don't know if I am an educated enough fan to make bold assumptions but he looked to be the best man on the floor at the end of the game. Is this because he was playing in "garbage time" or the guy that big of a pickup for the team?

Also last night felt "weird" at the Metro Center. The new thunder was awkward with the crowd, and with no Nate the great, and the stupid dollar store half time games it felt a little cheap. Especially when three years ago we had Danny Fernandez kicking off the season with a half time show. Thoughts?[/quote]

Team is lacking talent and recognizable/charismatic players. The entertainment was as weak as it's ever been. What a terrible start to the season.

bluenoser
Site Admin

Post by bluenoser » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:33 am

Anyone else wonder if the Rainmen had any inclination toward signing MRR as Head Coach and bring in Bowden, Ellis, Dean, Freeman etc in the off-season?

bluenoser
Site Admin

HFX at SUM - Dec 8

Post by bluenoser » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:36 am

1. How does a pro team shoot 15 for 35 from the FT line? (SUM)
2. How many PGs do the Rainmen need? (Haywood, Brown, Hagan, Dorsey, Upshaw)
3. Is HFX limiting Robinson's minutes due to injury? If not, send him packing - he's wasting cap space.
4. New guys - Hagan looks good, MacCullough looks like a poor man's perimeter DeAndre!
5. What happened to Levett?
6. Gilchrese drives me crazy - flopping, hard fouls etc
7. Hard not to like the SUM team (except EG) - from the coach on down, work hard, act like pros, real tough loss tonight,
8. Considering its Dec in a 36 game season, this was a big road win for HFX - if you assume LON and QUE will make the playoffs, this leaves HFX, SUM and SJ fighting for 2 spots with OSH pushing hard also, road wins are going to be crucial as the season progresses;

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:57 pm

I think Oshawa is toast. Trading Francis made no sense and I don't see them adding any impact players with the way they are drawing fans. It's a battle between the Storm, Mill Rats and Rainmen for two playoff spots.

Watching the Summerside/Halifax game last night was great. Halifax almost blew it but they toughed out a road win against a decent team. Halifax really seems to matchup well with the Storm. Also, a nice crowd and broadcast out of PEI.

Hagan actually looked quite good, but yeah how many PGs does this team need? Come to think of it, how many SFs does this team need? Pep loves Levett, Wright and Johnson; there's no room for anyone else to play, unless he continues to insist on playing bizarro world lineups without a 4 and a 5.

Levett was nursing a minor injury. They missed his toughness.

As always, what's with the constant shuffling of dispensable bench players? Guards are fine, wing players are fine. Hell, I don't even care if we get that legitimate 6'10 center anymore. I'd be content if they added a remotely competent power forward to the roster and managed to stand pat for even a month.

Tons of talent on the roster and I can see some good things, but get rolling.

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Marshall Brown, last year's starting small forward, is having a great seaon in the D-League. He's averaging over 15PPG and 5RPG starting 5 games for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

noreaster78
Site Admin

Post by noreaster78 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:34 am

[quote=""misenern""]I think Oshawa is toast. Trading Francis made no sense and I don't see them adding any impact players with the way they are drawing fans. It's a battle between the Storm, Mill Rats and Rainmen for two playoff spots.

.[/quote]

I'm also left wondering about the latest trade for draft picks. Draft picks are essentially worthless in this league why would someone give up a viable (for the NBLC) center for draft picks, why not just say "future considerations"

???

Alex-RTS
Site Admin

Basketball Commentator - NBL of Canada

Post by Alex-RTS » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:59 am

Hello Everyone,

We are looking for basketball reporters to cover the NBL of Canada games. We have openings for the 7 teams.
Halifax Rainmen - Quebec Kebs - St John Mill Rats - Oshawa Power - Summerside Storm - Moncton Miracles - London Lighting.
This is a part time job, during the season and only during the time of the game. We pay 85 dollars a game.
You can check us out at : http://www.rtsportscast.com/
If interested, don't hesitate to contact us at : alex_rts@ymail.com

Thank you

Return to “NBL Canada”