Baseball in Mexico

shoeless1920
Site Admin

Baseball in Mexico

Post by shoeless1920 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:16 pm

Maybe somebody can enlighten me on some stuff I've been wondering about regarding pro baseball south of the border.
I know the Mexican League is considered a Class AAA Minor League, and the Tabasco League which feeds it is considered a Short-Season Class A Minor League, but there's more baseball in Mexico than just those two; what leagues exist in Mexico and how is the Mexican system for categorizing leagues set up? Also, how does the off-season Mexican Pacific League fit in?

Herk
Site Admin

Mex Leagues

Post by Herk » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:05 am

There is a rookie level Mexican Academy League, that feeds into the Mexican League

shoeless1920
Site Admin

Post by shoeless1920 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:21 pm

The National Association has the category system of AAA, AA, A-Advanced, A, A-shortseason, etc., as we're all familiar with it, and the Mexican League is a Class AAA Minor League, but strictly within Mexico isn't there a categorization system for the various levels of Mexican baseball leagues (regardless of whatever parallel National Association categories that such leagues may fall under)?

BruceB
Site Admin

Post by BruceB » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:22 am

As far as Mexico is concerned, there is just one league recognized by the National Association, and that is the Mexican League. While it is classified as a AAA league, it is otherwise entirely independent and self-sufficient (although Major League Baseball is handling stats this season). There have been working agreements between MLB and LMB teams in the past, but no longer.

The Mexican Pacific League is a winter league like those in Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. It, too, is independent although a number of major league teams send their top prospects down there for seasoning. I don't believe the NA classifies winter leagues because they don't fall under the Minor League Baseball umbrella.

As far as the Tabasco League goes, it is NOT classified as a National Association short-season Class A League. As you mentioned, there are a lot of smaller minor leagues in Mexico, but they are all independent of both the NA and the Mexican League. The Liga owns and operates the National Baseball Academy near Monterrey, and that's where they develop young players for an annual LMB draft.

docjanos
Site Admin

Baseball in Mexico

Post by docjanos » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:21 am

Bruce,
Thanks for your insight into Mexican baseball, particularly the lower level leagues. I had been aware of the Mexican Academy and Tabasco leagues (as well as of course, the Mexican and Mexican Pacific leagues).

You seem to imply that there are other low level pro leagues. Is that true?

I am trying to find schedule and / or website info on the Academy & Tabasco leagues. The Mexican League site does not show it and has no links (nor any contact info), although Baseball America's Directory lists the Mexican League site under the Academy League. The Directory does not have any data at all on the Tabasco League. As to the Academy League, the Directory notes that there are four teams, all in the Queretaro area. I'm going to be in that area in November, which according to the Directory is mid-season, so would love to catch a game or two.

Appreciate any help that you can provide.
Thanks,
Janos Wimpffen

BruceB
Site Admin

Post by BruceB » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:56 am

Wow, you're heading into territory I'm not really familiar with. I've spent most of the past six months covering the Mexican League for OSC, and am getting ready to take on the MexPac once the LMB playoffs are over. I haven't spent much time on anything else down there.

As far as I know, the Academy is in the Monterrey area, not Queretaro, and I'm not aware that they run a schedule anytime other than the spring. I could easily be wrong, but I just haven't heard of the one you're referring to. The best I can do is to direct you to a website called http://www.hitazos.com. Do it quickly, because they're shutting down soon, but it's been an axcellent source of info on baseball in Mexico. Failing that, I'd recommend http://www.purobeisbol.com or depelota.com (no "www.") as good alternatives. If they don't help, get in touch with Carlos Fragoso through http://www.baseball.guru.com. Carlos is a great guy, has done some scouting for the Red Sox and is extremely well-connected in the game south of the border. He has given me a ton of info for VIVA BEISBOL, and I'm sure he'd be happy to point you in the right direction. I'm certainly not nearly as qualified as he is to do that.

BTW, while there are definitely leagues in Sonora, Chihuahua and Coahuila, I'm not sure they're all professional, per se. As to the Tabasco League, I don't think it's around anymore.

Have fun while you're down there!

docjanos
Site Admin

Baseball in Mexico

Post by docjanos » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:32 pm

Great Bruce,
Thanks a lot. I'll contact all those sites and folks.
All I know is what's in the Baseball America Directory 2005, page 289 if you have it. Mexican Academy is listed as Rookie Classification with the same mailing address (in Mex City) as the Mexican League.

Teams are Celaya, Guanajuato, Queretaro, Salamanca. Regular Season of 50 games from October to December.

Since you noted that the Tabasco League may be defunct explains why they're not listed in the book.

Thanks again,
Janos

PS: This is all part of a personal quest to attend at least one ball game in every professional ball club's park(s). This includes majors, minors, spring training and foreign. Besides about 75 or so (out of 200 +) in the US and Canada, I've been to a game each in Mexico, Japan, and Italy. Still a long way to go!
Janos Wimpffen

BruceB
Site Admin

Janos...Here's what I found out:

Post by BruceB » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:09 pm

I've been corresponding with Carlos, and what he says is that the only "official" academy is the one in Monterrey. That one is run by the Mexican League, and the best players are taken in an annual draft by Mexican League teams. One such player, a shortstop named Paul Llano, came out of the Academy League this summer to fill in for an injured player for Tijuana and had a big triple in one of the Potros' second round playoff wins. The Academy League is considered Class A by the LMB (although I don't think Minor League Baseball recognizes it as such), and all the players live on site at the Academia and play for teams sponsored by LMB teams and are named thusly. Think of a combination of the old KC Royals' academy in the 1970's and the Gulf Coast League, and you get the idea. It's kind of the ultimate in complex baseball.

Now, as far as the Queretaro-based academy goes, it is a private business run by a couple of guys who played amateur ball in the Mexico City Metro League during the 1970's and '80's with Carlos. They have teams in four different towns, but no affiliation with the Mexican League. I don't know whether they pay the players...my guess is that they don't, but it IS a guess. It might be a setup similar to Junior hockey in which the players are amateurs who get their expenses paid, while the teams pay the bills by charging for attendance to their games.

Sounds like a great ongoing "tour" of ballparks you've got going. Keep having fun with it. I've seen photos of a couple of the stadiums in Taiwan, and they look pretty clean and modernized.

Bruce

docjanos
Site Admin

Baseball in Mexico

Post by docjanos » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:28 pm

Thanks. I'll keep you posted on whatever I find out.

I went to a game in Bologna this year. Was really good. The level of play is about Double A. Pitching (Lancitorre in Italian) was generally better than the hitting. Ball Park was also comparable to a US minor league, or perhaps a good college park. It was set within a large muncipal park on the outskirts of town. Good and very knowledgeable crowd--even sang "Take Me Out" at the 7th inning--in English. About 3/4 of the players are Italian with most of the rest Latinos (they looked either Dominican or Venezuelan to me). The league has 8 teams. There's also a pro league in the Netherlands--as business takes me to Europe frequently, will try to schedule it in.

A few years ago was at a game in Tokyo. The most amazing thing there is the crowd. The supporters of the home team stand and cheer during the entire half inning that they're at bat. It's an organized thing with banners and other regalia. Other than polite applause at good defense during the other half inning, they are quite restrained--never boo, and overall typical Japanese politeness.

Really want to go to games in the Caribbean. Back in 1990 at the Goodwill Games here in Seattle went to a Cuba vs. Puerto Rico match and there were the usual line of conga drummers in the stands. But pine trees and snow-capped mountains as the backdrop kind of takes away from the effect.
Janos Wimpffen

BruceB
Site Admin

Post by BruceB » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:55 pm

I was living in Renton while the Goodwill Games were going on (I'm in Centralia now), but wasn't able to make it out to a game. Wish I had. Cheney Stadium is a great place to go...in fact, I'm heading out to the Rainiers game tonight. I've always thought it would be fun to catch a game on Cheapskate Hill beyond right field by Foss HS, but it's so cheap to get in anyway!

Return to “Independent Baseball”