Best "Untapped" Markets

Texasrangers13
Site Admin

Best "Untapped" Markets

Post by Texasrangers13 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:33 am

This is a hypothetical question... Curious to draw-up a list of places suitable for Indy Ball (preferably already with a capable ballpark). Examples:

Farmington, NM
Pueblo, CO
Murray, UT

Or abandoned markets that could be revived.

Many/Most of the Spring Training locales in AZ.

Jntg4
Site Admin

Post by Jntg4 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:07 pm

This will be shocking to most, but Chicago. Chicago handles the minors well, and the Wolves were drawing about as much as the Blackhawks until relatively recently (since the Hawks became good again).

Chicago's two major league teams are very popular, BUT they also have some of the most expensive tickets in baseball. Nearby teams such as the Kane County Cougars draw decently, and a team actually in Chicago or a closer suburb would draw well.

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Jntg,

There are many indy teams around Chicago already - Joliet, Windy City, Lake County (maybe), Gary, Schaumburg in 2012, etc. So a good point about Chicago but they're way ahead of you.

Palm Springs might be a nice market in a league that could sustain out West, which nobody's really been able to do. PS has run a winter league for a few years so they have at least a usable ballpark. Might be a better fit for collegiate wood bat as there seems to be a large league in that genre already in CA.

Didn't the GL try spring training sites when they first started up, Mesa and somewhere else. The problem is nobody is going to come out in 115 degree temperatures and see players they never heard of, no matter how much entertainment you put there or how many novelty (Jose Canseco in Yuma) acts you sign up.

Jntg4
Site Admin

Post by Jntg4 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:18 pm

[quote=""smallballfan""]Jntg,

There are many indy teams around Chicago already - Joliet, Windy City, Lake County (maybe), Gary, Schaumburg in 2012, etc. So a good point about Chicago but they're way ahead of you.

Palm Springs might be a nice market in a league that could sustain out West, which nobody's really been able to do. PS has run a winter league for a few years so they have at least a usable ballpark. Might be a better fit for collegiate wood bat as there seems to be a large league in that genre already in CA.

Didn't the GL try spring training sites when they first started up, Mesa and somewhere else. The problem is nobody is going to come out in 115 degree temperatures and see players they never heard of, no matter how much entertainment you put there or how many novelty (Jose Canseco in Yuma) acts you sign up.[/quote]

Sure there are some around, but those are further from the city's core than what I'm talking about. I was thinking a team that could play in like Cook or DuPage County, and actually carry the Chicago name... makes them more noticeable to people here.

Chicago White Stockings maybe? Take the old name of the Cubs (and the Sox were the White Stockings later, but did not officially have 'Chicago' in their name).

IDK, you said I had a good point anyway. ;)

MJHankel
Site Admin

Post by MJHankel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:38 pm

[quote=""Jntg4""]Chicago White Stockings maybe? Take the old name of the Cubs (and the Sox were the White Stockings later, but did not officially have 'Chicago' in their name).[/quote]

Inner Chicago may work but that name never would, one of those teams is bound to own the Trademark for that name, and if not MLB will.

Jntg4
Site Admin

Post by Jntg4 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:05 am

[quote=""MJHankel""]Inner Chicago may work but that name never would, one of those teams is bound to own the Trademark for that name, and if not MLB will.[/quote]

I don't think it is trademarked, the Cubs used it from 1870-1871, and 1874-1889. The Sox used it from 1900 (as a minor league team) and 1901-1903.

But they could think of a better name anyway.

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Got to agree with MJHankel on the trademake issue. And no way would they let an indy team use them.

As far as the Chicago area needing more teams...it doesn't. Standard Bank Stadium in Crestwood is less than 5 miles from the SW Chicago border, and it just hangs on. Joliet and Schaumburg recently imploded. The Lake County team has to threaten law suites to get a poor city to put up some sort of facility for them. Only Kane County has done consistently well around here, and even their attendance has been in noticeable decline the last couple years.

That being said, I think Joliet and Schaumburg can both be successful if run and marketed well. They have the benefit of excellent staduims, the likes of which will never be buillt for indy teams again in this area.

Lake County could possibly do well with a college wood bat league. Make it a food and drinkathon sort of environment with a baseball game in the background. That's what the market up here wants. Not my thing, however. I'm looking forward to catching some AA games in Schaumburg next year.

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:30 pm

A quick Google search shows that the Chicago White Sox own the trademark to the White Stockings. Part of the great thing about owning the trademark is you can license it to others to use otherwise, what’s the point. If a deal could be worked out (x amount for every ticket and piece of merch sold), it could happen. No minor league team is a threat to a MLB team, in the end its all about money. But my guess it would put too much financial strain on a new minor league team to have to pay the fees and royalties.

I think a minor league team could work in or near downtown. Use a throwback theme for the stadium and have a bar attached to it, it might just work. Guess it would be like a Cubs game, you go cause its the thing to do, not to watch a baseball game. But boy would it cost alot to get off the ground, more than anyone would be willing to throw at it in todays economy.

Texasrangers13
Site Admin

Post by Texasrangers13 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:05 pm

Grand Island, NE.

PERFECT American Association market.

BerkshireFan
Site Admin

Post by BerkshireFan » Wed May 11, 2011 4:14 am

Springfield, Mass.

Return to “Independent Baseball”