Questions

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:20 am

[quote=""Minor League Man""]Obviously I can't speak for Paul, but if that were me running the site, I would list them as their own constituent leagues (similar to how Paul lists the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL as separate leagues rather than as the CHL.)

Then again, I can't speak for him, so it's his decision.[/quote]

On their latest list, there are about 15 leagues:

http://www.nbcbaseball.com/leagues.html

They vary in terms of budget and organization (Jayhawk, Alaska, MINK, California Collegiate -- high budget, high degree of organization; Walter Johnson (where our beloved Newton Rebels play), River City Victory (which is actually more an advanced adult league), low budget, low organization).

HeadFirst
Site Admin

Valley Ball

Post by HeadFirst » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:32 pm

Paul, et al.,

You know the can of worms you've opened up with adding coverage of collegiate wood-bat leagues. I thought adding major junior hockey was ambitious.

But I must insist the Valley League have its own page and board. Pretty please.

The Valley League is among the oldest and most respected of such leagues, has several established, even historic franchises, sports some of summer's most attractive and unique venues, is relatively stable and is expanding.

The Valley League is a college-level baseball institution, and rightfully should be covered in the same vein as Cape Cod, Northwoods, Coastal Plain, Jayhawk, California, etc.

ValleyLeagueBaseball.com

(Disclaimer: I have no official affiliation with the Valley or any other collegiate wood-bat league. I just really dig it. Guys, do yourselves a favor and check out Front Royal's ballpark someday.)
Last edited by HeadFirst on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Misplaced sentence.
"Let's play hardball. I'm goin' headfirst."

tn baseball
Site Admin

Post by tn baseball » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:24 pm

the ohio valley summer collegiate baseball league could be added

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:37 pm

We'll keep an eye on the OVL. Do you know what three of its teams left the KIT League?

tn baseball
Site Admin

Post by tn baseball » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:02 pm

The Marion Bobcats, Owensboro Oilers, Fulton Railroaders and Tradewater Pirates, will be playing in the new league for the 2011 season. All four teams left the KIT League after the end of the 2010 season in order to form their own summer collegiate baseball league.

http://www.ohiovalleyleague.net

paducah and maykield,ky are possible expansions for 2011 or 2012
Last edited by tn baseball on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added website

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:30 pm

So is the KIT League dead now? Do you know who's doing the OVL's stats? Do the teams get local media coverage? It looks as if a couple teams issue regular releases, not so much the other two.

tn baseball
Site Admin

Post by tn baseball » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:40 pm

I am not sure on the stats part and all 4 had media coverage last season but have not heard much outside of league updates I get. Mr. Guess would any any questions you have if you send him an email.

Jerry Bell started the TSCBA last year but not sure on his teams this year . Tennessee Summer Collegiate Baseball Association .

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:52 pm

[quote=""preeths""]BTW, any other leagues we should look at?[/quote]

There is also the Great Plains Baseball League that the Rockford Foresters are part of. Rockford is gonna have Pointstreak mange its stats this year, not sure about the rest of the league.

http://www.rockfordforesters.com/

http://www.greatplainsbaseballleague.com/

miden
Site Admin

Post by miden » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:10 pm

[quote=""preeths""]BTW, any other leagues we should look at?[/quote]

Baseball America is scouting 18 leagues, which seems like a good filter of worthwhile leagues.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... ll_leagues

I give my vote to the NECBL.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:19 pm

There are a ton of leagues out there, but we're looking at the ones that operate at a fairly professional level. I know the players don't get paid, but I'm talking about leagues which make certain their game scores are available in real time (or ASAP), those which issue press releases at the team and league level and those which get some consistent press in their markets. Some of the best leagues in terms of talent don't do those things. I don't begrudge them, but they just may not fit into our coverage plans.

Return to “College Wood Bat Baseball”