Fhl 2012-13

The Federal Hockey League (FHL) forum
BreakersFan
Site Admin

Fhl 2012-13

Post by BreakersFan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:37 pm

I was impressed with the hockey played in the FHL last season, especially New Jersey. The games were enjoyable and affordable and I hope the league can continue with at least six teams this season.

They have added a team in Dayton for this season (will a market will receive a "A" team on the immediate heels of several years at the "AA" level?). Will be interesting to see and I hope Dayton fans give it a chance.

Danville and Danbury are selling tickets for next year. Assume New Jersey, 1000 Islands (moving to Watertown?), and Cape Cod are all returning, but I'd like to see them selling with the season just 4 1/2 months away. Hopefully, Dayton makes a solid sixth team.

Rumors are Brooklyn has folded. Anyone know anything about Akwasasne? Their website hasn't been updated in nearly 3 months.

The league said there would be two relocations - 1000 Islands must be one. Akwasasne or Brooklyn must be the other.

Anyway, looking forward to the FHL season and anxious to see what the team line-up for 2012-13 is. Check it out if you are near one of the teams. Well worth it.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:26 pm

If you go to the Brooklyn Aviators URL, you are redirected to a Dayton holding page. I suspect that's your other relocation.

The FHL reportedly looked at a Southern expansion (Richmond and Roanoke specifically), but couldn't get the Richmond Coliseum at an affordable price. The same issue (Coliseum rent) scuttled the new NPHL's attempt to start here. Well, that wasn't the only thing that stopped the NPHL, but that's the one they're mentioning... :)

Given the talent level, the FHL would be well-advised not to expand too far too fast... stabilize first, then expand.

arlingtonway
Site Admin

Post by arlingtonway » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:35 am

Dayton is an expansion team not a relocated Brooklyn.

All other franchises turned in protected lists ahead of the expansion draft for the Dayton franchise.

though there has been no formal announcement yet Brooklyn has folded.

Watertown City council is voting on a proposed lease with the Privateers as early as next week.

The other or 2nd relocation is most likely New Jersey as the Outlaws are looking for a building with more seasting

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:29 pm

[quote=""arlingtonway""]Dayton is an expansion team not a relocated Brooklyn.[/quote]

OK then...how do you explain the Aviators' page redirecting to Dayton's?
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

arlingtonway
Site Admin

Post by arlingtonway » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Brooklyn's site jumping to a dayton page is misleading. It's just a place holder until the dayton site is finished... the league is/has done the same thing before

Example: the FHL's Maine EVENT web site now directs you here: LINK, but the address is still Maine Event

Also according to former aviators broadcaster Carmine Vetrano "From what I know Dayton WILL BE an expansion team".

And I have to again mention that every team but Brooklyn entered a protected list. If the Dayton club had simply relocated there would have been no need for any team to have protected lists as there wouldn't be an expansion draft
Last edited by arlingtonway on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:56 am

[quote=""arlingtonway""]
And I have to again mention that every team but Brooklyn entered a protected list. If the Dayton club had simply relocated there would have been no need for any team to have protected lists as there wouldn't be an expansion draft[/quote]

Not really -- every minor league has some form of a protected list. The SPHL protected lists came out at about the same time as the FHL lists did, for example.

If the league is saying that Brooklyn folded and Dayton is an expansion club, that's fine. I guess the fact that Brooklyn/Dayton didn't do a protected list is meaningful here. Have they announced an expansion draft for Dayton, or is Dayton simply being allowed to sign available FHL free agents?

arlingtonway
Site Admin

Post by arlingtonway » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:47 am

On Apr. 26th the League released a statement that read in part: "All teams are required to submit their 12 man protected list by May 1st which requires alot of intense thinking and planning. The expansion Draft will be held during the Annual Meeting."

The meeting was planned for the end of May but was postponed to allow the privateers to finalize their lease talks with Watertown.

Good point about the SPHL...I forgot about that

BreakersFan
Site Admin

Post by BreakersFan » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:19 pm

[quote=""arlingtonway""]Dayton is an expansion team not a relocated Brooklyn.

All other franchises turned in protected lists ahead of the expansion draft for the Dayton franchise.

though there has been no formal announcement yet Brooklyn has folded.

Watertown City council is voting on a proposed lease with the Privateers as early as next week.

The other or 2nd relocation is most likely New Jersey as the Outlaws are looking for a building with more seasting[/quote]

Maybe the Outlaws are part of the big changes the league mentioned in the press release 3 weeks ago. Hopefully the Outlaws can find somewhere else to play in northern NJ. Guess that explains why they aren't selling tickets yet.
Last edited by BreakersFan on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EHL Historian
Site Admin

New Jersey Outlaws

Post by EHL Historian » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:03 am

A beautiful 3,500 seat arena that was completely renovated in the last three years is in West Orange. It is the Codey Arena at the South Mountain complex. This is where the Jersey Devils practiced for many years before moving to Newark.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:08 am

The FHL had their Dispersal/Expansion draft today -- not only were Brooklyn players put up (and drafted), but they put up Akwesasne players (nobody was drafted).

When did the Warriors fold... who is this "Williamsport" team in the draft results... and why do I think the answers to those two questions are related?

Also, 1000 Islands has officially moved from Alexandria to Watertown.

Return to “FHL”