Canadian Speculation

The North Amerian League (NAL) forum
G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Calgary is the key

Post by G Lindenbach » Wed May 23, 2012 3:45 pm

When it was announced that the Calgary Vipers had folded my heart sank because I knew that this probably meant the end of pro ball in Edmonton as well. The fates of Edmonton and Calgary have been intertwined for a number of years now - and any chance that Edmonton has of resuming play is probably dependant upon what happens in Calgary.

Since Calgary is then key, the owner of Rexall and the Capitals, Daryl Katz, could ensure the survival of baseball in Alberta by purchasing the Calgary team. I doubt that this will happen, however, based upon Mr. Katz's total lack of involvement with his sports teams and the current rumor that he is actually living in Vancouver. I don't think that he cares about baseball at all - being a prudent businessman, everything he does is based solely upon his return on investment.

Maybe he secretly dreams about the Rexall Baseball League of Canada but I seriously doubt that. Heck - he could probably buy the Toronto Blue Jays (if they were for sale) and then dictate where he wanted to locate his AAA affiliate.

No - I grow increasingly pessimistic about baseball in Alberta and I am starting to think that the most likely scenario is that the next official annoucement from the Capitals is that the team is up for sale.

That being said, maybe someone who actually cares about baseball will buy the team.

Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Wed May 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Blue Jays re-up with the FisherCats as expected.
http://www.ballparkdigest.com/201205234 ... extend-pdc

Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Wed May 23, 2012 7:37 pm

[quote=""G Lindenbach""]
No - I grow increasingly pessimistic about baseball in Alberta and I am starting to think that the most likely scenario is that the next official annoucement from the Capitals is that the team is up for sale.
[/quote]

Sell a team without a league?

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Thu May 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Yeah - selling a team without a league would be a tough sell no doubt. No assets to speak of, no players under contract. Maybe that official announcement will be "have permanently ceased operations" as opposed to actively looking for a buyer.

Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Thu May 24, 2012 10:16 pm

[quote=""G Lindenbach""]Yeah - selling a team without a league would be a tough sell no doubt. No assets to speak of, no players under contract. Maybe that official announcement will be "have permanently ceased operations" as opposed to actively looking for a buyer.[/quote]

Indy contracts are year to year anyway. You'd be selling membership in a league which they don't have and the name, uniforms, etc I guess...

Better chance of calling it quits but for some reason I get the feeling this ownership group will have a team somehow.

If I had the cache I'd try to start a league in Cali and Canada and then start getting points in the middle along the way. Already have some teams that could be in place unless the AWBL and NAL are able to con more people into believing they're different then previous ownership.

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Time to update my previous post. I have a source down at Telus Field who indicates that the Edmonton Capitals are still planning to join a new league for the 2013 season. If "new" means doesn't currently exist - then the chances of the creation of a new Canadian only league increases. On the other hand - I am skeptical that such a league could be ready to play in 2013 and it appears that Victoria, B.C. is moving ahead with their own separate plans. Having said that, here are my percentage odds on what might happen as of June 20, 2012:

stay dark in 2013 ........................... 40%
create new Canadian only league ...... 30%
join AA in 2013 .............................. 30%
rejoin NAL Northern division .............. 0%
join AWBL ..................................... 0%
join AtL ........................................ 0%

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Quick question - why are people so fixated on a Canadian indy or pro ball circuit? Canadian minor league teams never been successful in any league (Edmonton's team is/was a playtoy, not a profit center). If there was money to be made in running a Canadian minor league or teams, someone would be doing it.

I read these threads and there just seems to be an unrealistic view of the product. Every so often someone will say this town or that town 'just needs to build a stadium and have someone buy at team' as if that's like stopping at the corner store for a candy bar.

If it was an economically feasible possibility someone would be doing it.

shawa666
Site Admin

Post by shawa666 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:00 pm

The Quebec Capitales disagree.

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:12 pm

Capitals are still promoting the kids summer camps for the month of July, so they haven't closed up shop yet.
The Tucson Toros of the GL did the same in their 'dark' year.
They will be back
The Tucson Toros were not.

Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:04 am

Winnipeg is Canada.

Canada can work. Just need the right owners. Zimbabwe could work with the right owner. Just have to have the right people.

And including GL? Really? No team in that league was stable except the Canadian teams.

Return to “NAL”