NABL 2012 Season

The North Amerian League (NAL) forum
Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Wed May 09, 2012 6:40 pm

My posts are coming up delayed for some reason. Posted that link too.
Can't believe they're doing it.
Assuming they have the same people involved with the setup they plan to use.

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Wed May 09, 2012 7:04 pm

[quote=""robster2001""]The Yuma Panthers and Orange County Flyers will be members of the AWBL, which has not actually announced a start date...[/quote]

Just another nail in the coffin of the NAL Northern Division.

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Wed May 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Well I guess it's like the French man once said, I can sell those Americans anything
Continuing the Kaval/Outcalt philosophy. Grab the checks and run.

pilots13
Site Admin

Post by pilots13 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:49 pm

[quote=""Eddie""]
$50M for an indy ballpark is a lot to ask for. Even the AtL doesn't ask for $50M ballparks. Most people still think indy ball isn't as good as affiliated and all that so there is less of a chance of a $50M ballpark passing then a $20M ballpark.
[/quote]

To clarify, the Saints want a $50 million ballpark, not $50 from the State. They want $27 million from the state and the team and city have already secured financing for the rest.

Also, keep in mind that the Saints are trying to build their park in one of the downtowns in the 14th largest TV market in the country. Not that TV matters, but that goes to show the size of the metro area we are dealing with. So the preparation and infrastructure to build the ballpark is much more costly than building it in a suburb like Schamburg, or in the downtown of a city like Lincoln. That's largely what's driving up the cost of the project. In comparison, Winnipeg spent like $25M on Shaw Park some 5 years ago, so that park would most likely only be say $10M less than the Saints park if they were building it today.

Now off to rip on the AWBL!

Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Wed May 09, 2012 8:31 pm

[quote=""pilots13""]To clarify, the Saints want a $50 million ballpark, not $50 from the State. They want $27 million from the state and the team and city have already secured financing for the rest.

Also, keep in mind that the Saints are trying to build their park in one of the downtowns in the 14th largest TV market in the country. Not that TV matters, but that goes to show the size of the metro area we are dealing with. So the preparation and infrastructure to build the ballpark is much more costly than building it in a suburb like Schamburg, or in the downtown of a city like Lincoln. That's largely what's driving up the cost of the project. In comparison, Winnipeg spent like $25M on Shaw Park some 5 years ago, so that park would most likely only be say $10M less than the Saints park if they were building it today.

Now off to rip on the AWBL![/quote]

The point was that $50M is still $50M. Even in other cities it doesn't cost as much. Trying to think of one I want to mention here but drawing a blank. There are ballparks, same sort of situation that are not $50M.

Asking $50M for an indy league is most likely what causes the issue with lawmakers, people on the street, etc. Not saying that it should be a problem but indy ball still has that lesser quality stigma in most places.

Other ballparks are being built but not at $50M unless it's AAA these days.

Boston (Malden), assume we can agree it's a much big market. He's been at it like 4 years and finally made some headway to move ahead at $50M with an almost AAA ballpark.

They are getting funded, just harder than it was in the past. And I believe Malden counts as a great untapped EASTERN market.

But back to the NAL. I had an idea but today's news from Godfather pretty much killed that. Just sounds like GBL Part 3. I remember talking to both of those guys before the league started and it sounded like a solid plan until they came out with taking over the world type talk.

pilots13
Site Admin

Post by pilots13 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:38 pm

And to tie my stadium talk back to the NAL, they do not need $50M parks, or really even $30M parks. Just build a nice, safe stadium with plenty of food, bathrooms, parking, and seating for around 4K or so. And it really is the chicken and the egg situation out west. They need parks to make their teams good and stable, but to get a park the city wants to see a good and stable team. So really all you can do is try to make due with what's there, even if it's small, cookie cutter, or on a college campus, and build your fan base and stadium momentum from there. Like I said, the NoL and FL weren't having parks built for them before their teams started. They took what they had and built the teams and the league up from there, and both circuits are alive and thriving today (though the NoL teams all migrated to the AA). If it worked for them, it can work for the NAL too.

Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Wed May 09, 2012 9:19 pm

[quote=""pilots13""]And to tie my stadium talk back to the NAL, they do not need $50M parks, or really even $30M parks. Just build a nice, safe stadium with plenty of food, bathrooms, parking, and seating for around 4K or so. And it really is the chicken and the egg situation out west. They need parks to make their teams good and stable, but to get a park the city wants to see a good and stable team. So really all you can do is try to make due with what's there, even if it's small, cookie cutter, or on a college campus, and build your fan base and stadium momentum from there. Like I said, the NoL and FL weren't having parks built for them before their teams started. They took what they had and built the teams and the league up from there, and both circuits are alive and thriving today (though the NoL teams all migrated to the AA). If it worked for them, it can work for the NAL too.[/quote]

San Rafael, 800 seats....
Hawaii teams with under 2000 seats. All metal bleachers, that has gotta be Africa hot in the summer.
Can't see how they aren't bleeding money by July when they don't get fans in the parks.

Colonel
Site Admin

Africa and Hawai'i

Post by Colonel » Thu May 17, 2012 8:02 pm

I have been to six countries in Africa --- and it can be hot. I agree. But neither Maui nor Hilo gets anywhere near that heat. (and now I live in Phoenix- talk about heat)

Seems like the league got it sorted out with Hilo-- in a stadium that holds about 1,000 ---- welcome the Hawaii Stars to the NAL.

(Hopefully next year in Honolulu)(rebirth of the Islanders???)

Colonel

Watching Eye
Site Admin

Post by Watching Eye » Fri May 18, 2012 4:48 am

[quote=""Colonel""]I have been to six countries in Africa --- and it can be hot. I agree. But neither Maui nor Hilo gets anywhere near that heat. (and now I live in Phoenix- talk about heat)

Seems like the league got it sorted out with Hilo-- in a stadium that holds about 1,000 ---- welcome the Hawaii Stars to the NAL.

(Hopefully next year in Honolulu)(rebirth of the Islanders???)

Colonel[/quote]

Francis Wong Stadium in Hilo reports to see 2500 under covered roof. Another 1500 in lawn area's where portable bleachers can be brought in !!

Watching Eye
Site Admin

And who said Hilo Hawaii was just a travel team....not

Post by Watching Eye » Fri May 18, 2012 4:52 am

[quote=""Watching Eye""]Francis Wong Stadium in Hilo reports to see 2500 under covered roof. Another 1500 in lawn area's where portable bleachers can be brought in !![/quote]

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/sec ... staff.html

Return to “NAL”