Brawl at Yuma-Chico game

The North Amerian League (NAL) forum
LivefromChico
Site Admin

Brawl at Yuma-Chico game

Post by LivefromChico » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:29 pm

Well, just when you thought things couldn't get any worse in this dog-and-pony league, along comes last nights' game between Yuma and Chico. It's "Rascals" (the Outlaws mascot) big birthday party, so there's plenty of kids in the stands (of course, not as many as the Outlaws attendance figures will say, but that's a given). It's the third inning and Scorpions 52-year old Tony Phillips (editors note: real baseball leagues don't have 52-year old players) is up to bat. He calls time as the Outlaws pitcher is getting ready to deal, and instead, walks over to the Outlaws dugout, bat in hand. Both benches clear, but order is restored.

But in the bottom of the inning, as Outlaws coach/manager/GM/janitor Mike Marshall goes out to his spot as third base coach, and Phillips goes out to his position as the world's oldest third baseman, things get a little chippy.

From this point, I will let the newspaper coverage take over...

Phillips tackled Marshall out at third base as the manager took his spot in the coaches' box and Phillips assumed his third-base position. Video replays showed the two talking to each other upon sight as they both neared the bag, and as Marshall approached Phillips, the latter took down Marshall and appeared to get in at least one punch.

Ahh yes, great entertainment for the kids! After that, it's time for everyone to get into the act. The Scorpions end up forfeiting and the Outlaws, who haven't played at home in what seems like forever (perhaps because no one cares) walk away with a sweet 9-0 win and a bunch of parents in the stands who must be saying "well, I sure hope we get a refund."

Good luck with that...

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 pm

I just looked at the video, and it sure looks Marshall started this (the physical part of it, at least). The quote from the story says he "approached" Phillips-I'd say he charged him with the intention to fight.

AZdev
Site Admin

Brawl

Post by AZdev » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:47 pm

Yah, Looking at the replay, Marshall definitely charged Phillips and attacks him. Don't know what was said between the two. Phillips got a few punches in quickly.I think the Scorpions had to forfeit because they did not have enough players after the ejections.

inside.knowledge
Site Admin

Post by inside.knowledge » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:02 pm

Tony Phillips told Mike Marshall that he wasn't a big leaguer he is a b*tch. Mike Marshall got pissed and Tony told him to step across the line, then Marshall came at him and threw his helmet at Tony so Tony served him with a few rights. Marshall tried to press charges but the cops viewed the video and saw Marshall come at Phillips and throw the helmet so they asked Tony if he wanted to press charges.

Return to “NAL”