End Near for Fielders?

The North Amerian League (NAL) forum
Hawk87
Site Admin

Post by Hawk87 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:25 am

They actually played two minutes worth of his rant on AM980 ESPN radio here in the DC area. They were pretty clueless as to where Zion was, and what league, and any of the other circumstances unfortunately. So, they didn't really put it into context, other than it was just a "rant". However, they did say the rant sounded suspiciously similar to some fighter/wrestlers rant from a couple weeks ago. Maybe someone else would know. CP, or CM someone from wrestling or MMA??

It wasn't that great a rant. It did sound staged a little bit, and the "good night and good luck" at the end seemed a little dramatic. I know it can get expensive out on the road, especially if you had to pay baggage fees on your trips...but you did spend a week in Hawaii, got to spend a week internationally in Canada.

I'm in no way defending RE. I wish he'd rot in hell. I wish these guys on DC radio would've related the larger context of the episode.

Ahh..****, I'm kinda rambling.

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:10 pm

I don't think it was a rant at all. I think he thought it out for a number of days and had it pretty much scripted by the time he delivered it. This story has gotten picked up by all variety of sites with varying degrees of background (and accuracy). One thing they all have in common is the "Kevin Costner is owner" angle.

Headlines such as the following are probably not what the team had in mind when they decided to tie into the Costner franchise...

"Field of Nightmares" for Kevin Costner's suburban ball club

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-costner ... 5995.story

It looks like Tucson is a non-starter as a site for the Fielders to play out their schedule...

Tucson revoking Toros lease for Hi Corbett; Wildcats, T-Padres to follow?

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/201107184 ... -to-follow

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:35 pm

[quote=""Hawk87""] However, they did say the rant sounded suspiciously similar to some fighter/wrestlers rant from a couple weeks ago. Maybe someone else would know. CP, or CM someone from wrestling or MMA??
[/quote]

CM Punk for the WWE on Raw in what they call a worked shoot.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cm+punk+ ... hl=en&aq=f

I can't acess the LC guys rant, so I'd like someone to compare the 2.

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:39 pm

It seems Mr. Zaman is a WWE fan...

Punk Influences Other Sports

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/201 ... 9/cm-punk/

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:12 pm

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:11 pm

They had a three day music festival at (on) the Zion field last weekend, and did nothing to protect the waterlogged grass. Now it's trashed and the game tonight with Calgary is cancelled. From what I've heard, it's in really bad shape and should be re sodded- something I can't see anyone paying to do at this point. So we can add inferior playing conditions to the list of the Fielders woes.

stg2010 front office
Site Admin

Post by stg2010 front office » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:17 pm

LC is done in Zion, after today's second game with Calgary.
too bad.
another "all road" team?

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:35 pm

"Lake County Fielders threaten folding ‘within days’"

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011 ... 708049917/

...I could see them just cancelling the games involving Lake County at this point. Normally, that would create some big gaps, but the way the schedule is back loaded with LC home games, (they were scheduled to play the rest of their games at home except for a four game set in Maui next week) it might be the best solution for the league with less than five weeks left in the season.

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Here's what the City of Zion has to say about the situation...

http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2253720&spid=

“It has been well-publicized that the minor-league teams which played in publicly funded baseball stadiums in Schaumburg and Joliet have defaulted on their financial obligations to their host municipalities in the last year. It has been the desire of the City Council to make sure that a fair funding solution is reached which would not require the City to bail out a failed baseball team.

“The City has fully performed all of its contractual obligations to date.

“Grand Slam Sports & Entertainment, LLC, bounced several 2010 payments to the City and remains in arrears for $60,000 for last season. Despite the team’s default, the City allowed the team to play at the stadium for the 2011 season.

“Unfortunately, the team has failed to pay the City $50,000 which was due on May 30, 2011 and $75,000 which was due on July 15, 2011.

“Because of the team’s failure to comply with its contractual obligations, the City has served the team with a notice of default

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Let me get this straight. This guy is in arrears to the city, but he is threatening to fold the team unless they pony up for a stadium. If I were the city, I'd start putting liens on any property he owns unless he pays up. If he does fold the team, tell him not to let the door hit him on the way out of town, and let any other town he shows up in about his shady dealings. This guy hides behind LLCs so no one can touch his personal assets, but this is abuse of the system, plain and simple.

Return to “NAL”