Is the CBL still alive?

The Continental Basketball League (IBL) forum
GeneCrowley
Site Admin

Is the CBL still alive?

Post by GeneCrowley » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:37 pm

I was hitting the Continental Basketball League's website (http://www.cblhoopsonline.com) today to see what's up and... nothing but a folder listing appears.

Is the CBL still alive?
Gene Crowley

Discover the history of professional sports teams in Birmingham, Alabama at:
http://www.birminghamprosports.com

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:23 pm

If it's alive, it in a deep coma on a respirator.

GeneCrowley
Site Admin

Still alive

Post by GeneCrowley » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:32 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]If it's alive, it in a deep coma on a respirator.[/quote]

I heard from two league sources that assure me they are just working on a new website and it will be up soon.

I was told by one of the sources months ago that the league would have a 2012 season but I have seen no evidence of it (that is why I went to their website in the first place).

Anyone know for sure?
Gene Crowley

Discover the history of professional sports teams in Birmingham, Alabama at:
http://www.birminghamprosports.com

The Magician
Site Admin

Birmingham Lions

Post by The Magician » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:26 pm

It would be nice to see some roundball buzz in the Ham ... Though, by the appearance of things on the Bham Lions' Facebook page, they have changed their affiliation to Independent, so possibly some events have occurred within the CBL to prohibit or a delay the league from moving forward ... and now the Lions are exploring new opportunities?
Last edited by The Magician on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:04 am

I had a lot of conversations with the CBL, and was told a lot of things.. including that there'd be a 2012 season of some sort - with a main goal of focusing on 2013.

With the 2012 season never happening, who knows what that means for them for 2013.

The Magician
Site Admin

Still going ...

Post by The Magician » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:44 am

It appears the Birmingham Lions and the CBL are both in play. Technical difficulties with the CBL website.
Last edited by The Magician on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:08 am

[quote=""The Magician""]It appears the Birmingham Lions and the CBL are both in play. Technical difficulties with the CBL website.[/quote]

In my opinion the Birmingham Lions were announced as a CBL team only to build a perception - to certain targeted individuals - that the league was actively moving forward..

It wasn't a random announcement, even though it looks pointless in light of the CBL's present situation.

The Magician
Site Admin

Cbl

Post by The Magician » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:50 am

[quote=""JeffKuntz""]In my opinion the Birmingham Lions were announced as a CBL team only to build a perception - to certain targeted individuals - that the league was actively moving forward..

It wasn't a random announcement, even though it looks pointless in light of the CBL's present situation.[/quote]

The present situation of the CBL? Now that, is something to speculate about ...
Last edited by The Magician on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:41 am

[quote=""The Magician""]The present situation of the CBL? Now that, is something to speculate about ...[/quote]

Anything can happen.

They might play in 2013, they might not.

Privately, I was told -- and I'm only sharing this because it was also stated publicly later on -- that there'd be a 2012 season.. it would be shortened and with fewer teams..

It was always made clear that 2013 was the real target year to re-establish the CBL.. Will that happen?

On the negative side, teams' support for the CBL seems pretty fickle based on conversations I've had with other people.. on the positive side, Lamont Moreno knows a lot of people and so there's at least a chance he can put together a league for 2013.

Time will tell..

PrimeTimeplayers1991
Site Admin

Cbl

Post by PrimeTimeplayers1991 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:52 pm

TI Ricks has a team in Raleigh NC called the Raleigh RoughRiders that played two games against a tournament teams from local leagues called Durham Bulldogs and another game against a team the Charlotte Hawks. I was told that they will have a 2013 season...

Return to “CBL”