Radio recap 2011-05-10

The Continental Basketball League (IBL) forum
LightningMan
Site Admin

Radio recap 2011-05-10

Post by LightningMan » Wed May 11, 2011 12:19 am

As true to my word as I could be under circumstances (which included a dying cell phone) I called up and chatted with The Shadow.

I wish I had gotten to call (and listen) earlier, because I would have liked to hear what Dale Kuhl had to say. But alas.

The Shadow addressed Palm Beach and Miami right before I called (and iterated during my call) that they'll play a game or two this year, but they'll come on full in 2012. They probably should have shot for that all along, but hey.

He also apparently said something about Fells, because he kept referring back to it, but I didn't hear what and I got disconnected before I could reconnect with it.

He didn't shy away from my direct questioning about the schedule and that it is unbalanced. He did say though that it's not totally final because of the missing games that some teams have.

It's clear that the playoff scenario hasn't been decided yet. I chose not to chide him about how it is unfair for clubs not to know how to make the playoffs at the start of the year. He said he thought about bringing the playoff question here. I am all for seeking our input. However, I will again say that the decision should have been made before the first game tips off.

The show and my cell phone ran out around the same time, otherwise I would have asked (and started to ask) about the stats. Stat keeping league wide was bad last year and I wanted to know if it was going to get better.

I am not sure some in the CBL understands what it looks like to not have these things in place before the season starts.

I'd be curious to know if anyone out there actually listened.

And before I hear it from people who say I was overly fawning or nice while questioning him, one thing I remember from being on the other side of the control board is that they don't have to talk to me any longer than they want to. Therefore I figure the nicer I am, the more answers I can get.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:47 am

[quote="" The Shadow""]This is the Shadow, u guys got it all wrong! Join the radio show tonight and let's take this forum to the radio! I welcome all, buffalo, preeths, turbo, alex the great. I will clear the CBL air for all of you!!!! 646- 915-8621. I joined this forum cause you guy's are beating up a second yr league. There weren't 15 games missed last yr. The games that you think was missed were the games with the Georgia Gwizzlies, do we really have to discuss the Gwizzlies. Fayetteville made up games for them and so did Wildcats. Dont forget tonight at 7pm. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cbl.
[/quote]
NO EXCUSES BE THERE!!!!
Work time. :(

I just listened to the replay. (Inside parentheses = my observations)
1)Fells wasn't mentioned other than "If somebody asks" they would reply. It was also mentioned that "other jobs keep him away from the CBL"...
2)Lamont gave the reasons for Savannahs late cancellation. (Sorry to hear it Lamont. I hope it will get better soon.)
3)Quite a bit of NBA playoff talk. (Agree about the Lakers, who I saw as Miami's biggest roadblock).
3a)Too much NBA talk, because an interview guest didn't make it on.
4)Wilmington coach wants "No foul out rule" eliminated. (Agreed)
5)Some talk about CBL plan will work with teams in clusters. (Makes the "Continental" name seem unfitting; but I see where they're going and where it came from.)
6)Travel teams mentioned. (Just don't get carried away with it. "Miami Stars" are one thing. "Bobs Car Wash and Oil Change" is another...)
7)Playoff format, or lack of, mentioned. (Think tournament, mention a site ahead of time.)
8}Mentioned "Despite the criticisms, expansion applications are still pouring in".
Last edited by tops804 on Wed May 11, 2011 5:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

AlextheGreat
Site Admin

Post by AlextheGreat » Wed May 11, 2011 4:48 am

I tried to get on. I got to the page and the chat opened up but it said I had to register......So I clicked on the register button but it kept freezing for me. This is a brand new laptop so I am guessing it had something to do with the fact I am out of town and at a hotel.

As far as the answers you listed, none of those are acceptable answers. I agree there is no reason to be overly rude about it. However, they need to fix it asap.

I have run leagues before with many more schedules to work out than these handful of teams. This is what I don't get about minor league basketball......despite what they tell you, it is not hard to run a league.

If you have to stay on the phone three straight days to work out a league schedule, you do it. If you need stats, you contact a software company and get some. HIRE someone to build and run the website. If you do not have time or money for this don't run a league.

I tell you what......I want to see the CBL work.....I will put my money (well time) where my mouth is. I own a media and marketing company. I will build a site for any CBL team for free. I will cover the hosting for free. I will setup where there stats can be easily updated for free. All you have to do is buy your domain. GoDaddy has them for $10. No excuse anymore. I build websites for colleges,sports teams, radio stations, leagues, and ministries.

Send me a PM and I can have a mock design in 24-48 hours.
Last edited by AlextheGreat on Wed May 11, 2011 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:58 am

[quote=""LightningMan""]I am not sure some in the CBL understands what it looks like to not have these things in place before the season starts.[/quote]

IMO -- Everyone was waiting for everyone else to get it moving forward. Did they even have league meetings this off season?
I'd be curious to know if anyone out there actually listened.
20 votes in the poll so far. I'm not sure if that's a telling number as to how many people really follow the league.

Hopefully, in the future. The radio show can be more about games being played, player overachievements, and playoff scenarios. Less about the business side of things.

BTW -- Is the show mentioned in game programs or over the public address system?
Last edited by tops804 on Wed May 11, 2011 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

" The Shadow"
Site Admin

Post by " The Shadow" » Wed May 11, 2011 11:31 am

Well lets see if you are true to your word "Alext the great"!! Weren't you the same guy calling league about coming in from Clarksville and then DISAPPEARED? If so, you have my number, call me and lets get this site going and everything else you have to offer! Hows that store front coming along with the Clarksville appreal? You should of put team in and help us from that standpoint instead of on here!!

" The Shadow"
Site Admin

Post by " The Shadow" » Wed May 11, 2011 11:37 am

[quote=""tops804""]IMO -- Everyone was waiting for everyone else to get it moving forward. Did they even have league meetings this off season?

20 votes in the poll so far. I'm not sure if that's a telling number as to how many people really follow the league.

Hopefully, in the future. The radio show can be more about games being played, player overachievements, and playoff scenarios. Less about the business side of things.

BTW -- Is the show mentioned in game programs or over the public address system?[/quote]
Tops! I offered everyone to join show and ask all the questions they wanted. The only one to call was Lightning Man, he had great questions but called with 5 minutes left on show. Every tuesday at 7pm est, feel free to call in at 646- 915- 8621. The show is only 1hr long.

" The Shadow"
Site Admin

Post by " The Shadow" » Wed May 11, 2011 11:42 am

[quote=""tops804""]Work time. :(

I just listened to the replay. (Inside parentheses = my observations)
1)Fells wasn't mentioned other than "If somebody asks" they would reply. It was also mentioned that "other jobs keep him away from the CBL"...
2)Lamont gave the reasons for Savannahs late cancellation. (Sorry to hear it Lamont. I hope it will get better soon.)
3)Quite a bit of NBA playoff talk. (Agree about the Lakers, who I saw as Miami's biggest roadblock).
3a)Too much NBA talk, because an interview guest didn't make it on.
4)Wilmington coach wants "No foul out rule" eliminated. (Agreed)
5)Some talk about CBL plan will work with teams in clusters. (Makes the "Continental" name seem unfitting; but I see where they're going and where it came from.)
6)Travel teams mentioned. (Just don't get carried away with it. "Miami Stars" are one thing. "Bobs Car Wash and Oil Change" is another...)
7)Playoff format, or lack of, mentioned. (Think tournament, mention a site ahead of time.)
8}Mentioned "Despite the criticisms, expansion applications are still pouring in".[/quote]
So was it a good show or not?

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:05 pm

I need to apologize to the listeners of the show, The Shadow and to the CBL. Our starting guard Ernest Jones was supposed to call in for a 5 minute interview. Jones is coming off of an 18 point, 9 assist, 10 steals, 6 rebounds performance against Gainesville. We practiced from 6:30pm-9:30pm, and time slipped away. When I looked at the time, it was already after 8:00pm.

My apologies...I don't like losing. We had several things to tighten up for the Saturday Home Opener against Heartland. Best believe we'll be even better prepared for that one. Sounds like it was a pretty good show though. I wish more of you would take advantage of the platform the league is providing you with though. What other league does a show like this...in such a public, no-nonsense manner?
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed May 11, 2011 2:18 pm

[quote=""AlextheGreat""]If you have to stay on the phone three straight days to work out a league schedule, you do it. If you need stats, you contact a software company and get some. HIRE someone to build and run the website. If you do not have time or money for this don't run a league.[/quote]

Bingo! That's exactly right. The only thing I'd add is that all of the above needs to be completed at least a month before the season starts at a bare minimum.

I don't even have a problem if they still choose to run a league, but just acknowledge that it's not a professional effort.
Last edited by preeths on Wed May 11, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed May 11, 2011 2:27 pm

[quote="" The Shadow""]Tops! I offered everyone to join show and ask all the questions they wanted. The only one to call was Lightning Man, he had great questions but called with 5 minutes left on show. Every tuesday at 7pm est, feel free to call in at 646- 915- 8621. The show is only 1hr long.[/quote]
That time probably is not going to work for a lot of people, myself included. You cannot limit your customer interaction to a specific time with one phone line. The league should be issuing regular press releases, not for the benefit of OSC, but so that we can pass them on to the public. You'd be surprised at how many questions a league can answer before they're ever asked. Announce which teams will play in 2011. Announce the schedule. Announce the postseason format. Announce any changes to the preceding. Do all of this well before the season starts, and people aren't asking questions today. That's what pro leagues should do.

Return to “CBL”