Who's in and who's out?

The Continental Basketball League (IBL) forum
turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Wed May 11, 2011 11:30 am

[quote=""preeths""]How do any of the CBL's failings make the WBA "much, much better," unless you ignore the WBA's own shortcomings? The point that I'm making is that they don't. Lest you forget, the WBA has cut its season short at least once and frequently misses games, despite having several more years to get it right. Last year the WBA dropped Tupelo right before the season started, then inexplicably tried to grab the CBL's Birmingham franchise to replace it. The move backfired when they didn't put a team on the court. I think Jacksonville may have also failed to make it to the finish line. I counted 14 cancelled games for the CBL with six unreported. I counted 15 cancelled games for the WBA with eight unreported. By what metric is one league "much, much better" than the other?[/quote]

This is what I have from last season:

Code: Select all

League Scheduled Added	Played Forfeited Cancelled
CBL	   40	   1	  29	   1	   11
WBA	   56	   4	  29	   8	   23
The google doc is here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CODq5ecI

The status notes & game id's are mine. Games in black are from the original schedule and games that were added or changed are in red.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed May 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks, turbo, somehow I knew you'd have some good input. Certainly doesn't look as if the WBA is better at all, having played just over half its scheduled games, while the CBL played nearly three-fourths of theirs. No one get me wrong: both numbers are way too low for professional leagues. Let's just not let today's failings overshadow everything that's happened before.

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Wed May 11, 2011 3:19 pm

[quote=""Buffal00 Sports Fan""]CBL is just becoming a giant train wreck. The legit teams should just join the WBA[/quote]

What might be a better idea ... Is for the WBA to concentrate on strengthening their league through making Georgia a focal point of their expansion.

It's interesting that the ABA has reportedly 6 teams in the state of Georgia?

ATLANTA ALIENS ADDED AS 6TH GEORGIA TEAM
http://abalive.com/aba-featured-news/at ... rgia-team/
Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) http://www.abalive.com today announced that it has added a sixth team in Georgia with the Atlanta Aliens set to play in the Atlanta metro area next season.
If this true ... Why are these teams playing in the ABA vs. the WBA???

It might be worth to allow the CBL league/teams to figure out solutions to their current issues. And if it doesn't work out for the league, then the CBL team owners can make some decisions on the future of their organizations in light of the minor league basketball landscape.
Last edited by The Magician on Wed May 11, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.

formerlyknownasfells
Site Admin

Post by formerlyknownasfells » Wed May 11, 2011 3:40 pm

[quote=""turbocamyes""]This is what I have from last season:

The google doc is here:

The status notes & game id's are mine. Games in black are from the original schedule and games that were added or changed are in red.[/quote]

As always, great job Turbo.
"Of all of the things I have lost, I think I miss my mind the most."

" The Shadow"
Site Admin

Post by " The Shadow" » Wed May 11, 2011 4:15 pm

[quote=""turbocamyes""]This is what I have from last season:

The google doc is here:

The status notes & game id's are mine. Games in black are from the original schedule and games that were added or changed are in red.[/quote]

Check the spreadsheet, i believe the cancelled games were the Gwizzlies games. The league put them out after week 2!! Then check cancelled games and see how many were actually cancelled.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:29 pm

[quote="" The Shadow""]Check the spreadsheet, i believe the cancelled games were the Gwizzlies games. The league put them out after week 2!! Then check cancelled games and see how many were actually cancelled.[/quote]

No free pass because it's the Gwizz. The CBL knew the team had issues in the past when they took them in.
cblhoopsonline.com - Through a more controlled geographic footprint than concentrates on "clusters" of local teams, stringent league protocols that ensure the financial viability of each CBL team, an economy of scales achieved through pooling of league and team resources, and the implementation of various technology solutions, the CBL plans to bring a renewed success to the business of minor league basketball.
Last edited by tops804 on Wed May 11, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed May 11, 2011 4:33 pm

The Gwizzlies were on the schedule when the season began so OSC also considers those games cancelled.

Return to “CBL”