Nasl suspends operation of atlanta silverbacks

The North American Soccer League (NASL) forum
Fran
Site Admin

Nasl suspends operation of atlanta silverbacks

Post by Fran » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:17 am

http://www.nasl.com/news/2016/01/11/nas ... ilverbacks

The North American Soccer League announced Monday that it has suspended its operation of the Atlanta Silverbacks for the 2016 season and possibly beyond.

“The goal all along has been to secure committed local ownership in Atlanta, but despite significant conversations with a number of interested parties, we were unable to identify a group that could lead the Silverbacks in a direction consistent with the rest of our clubs,” NASL Commissioner Bill Peterson said. “It’s unfortunate, and particularly sad for the Silverbacks’ passionate fan base, which has supported the club tremendously throughout the years.”

Originally founded in 1998, the Silverbacks joined the NASL for its inaugural season in 2011, and were operated by the league last season while it searched for a long-term local ownership group.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:40 am

For a league that is struggling to remain the second tier on the pyramid, this is bad.

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:02 am

With MLS coming to Atlanta soon. No shock nobody wants to own the NASL team.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:31 am

I believe the league was trying to sell to anyone who would take the team anywhere. Don't know why that didn't happen given the number of expansions they're seeing.

For that matter, the San Antonio mess isn't resolved... other than the Spurs taking over the stadium and starting a USL team this year while talking up an MLS bid.

So is it even worse for the NASL? Hard to say for sure, but possible.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:55 pm

The only way things were going to work out with the Silverbacks is if Arthur Blank bought them and affiliated them with the Atlanta United FC.

I think there is already a plan to have a lower level team but maybe in a different league?

Props to the Silverbacks for holding on as long as they did. There is now a solid soccer fan base in Atlanta but I am afraid many of those Silverbacks fans will not be able to afford to attend many games in the new dome next year.

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:26 pm

Now Chicago playing in the NASL in 2017 is a possibility

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2016 ... 160119783/

A team of investors is working to see if Chicago is big enough for a second men's professional soccer team.

Former Chicago Fire general manager Peter Wilt announced Monday he is resigning as president of Indy Eleven of the second-division North American Soccer League to develop a new NASL team in Chicago. The Fire competes in first-division Major League Soccer out of Toyota Park in southwest suburban Bridgeview.

"I think it's needed," Wilt said of the new club. "A lot of it's a projection. I think there's a lot of people in the city of Chicago that aren't going to professional soccer games because there isn't a team in the city."

The club will play somewhere within the Chicago city limits, possibly Soldier Field to start, Wilt said. He hopes to begin play in 2017.

Return to “NASL”