Carmelo Anthony’s Puerto Rico FC Joins NASL

The North American Soccer League (NASL) forum
Fran
Site Admin

Carmelo Anthony’s Puerto Rico FC Joins NASL

Post by Fran » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:39 pm

It gave the NASL some good exposure, plus its a franchise that is good for the NASL.

http://www.nasl.com/news/2015/06/11/car ... cer-league

Professional soccer is coming back to Puerto Rico, and NBA star and entrepreneur Carmelo Anthony is leading the charge. Anthony announced Thursday at a press conference in Bayamón that his new club, Puerto Rico FC, will begin play in the NASL in the 2016 Fall Season.

“It is an honor for me to bring back soccer to Puerto Rico, my beloved Island, birthplace of my father, and a special place that as you know, I carry with pride in my heart and soul,” Anthony said. “Through my Foundation, I have been coming to Puerto Rico for the past six years, restoring basketball courts in underprivileged communities. Today, I come back to the island - this time with the commitment of restoring professional soccer in Puerto Rico through the NASL.”

Puerto Rico FC will be the NASL’s 13th club after the league recently added Miami FC on May 20. The club will play its home matches at the recently renovated Juan Ramón Loubriel Stadium. Located in Bayamón, the 12,500-seat stadium serves as the home base for the Puerto Rico national team.

Return to “NASL”