NASL in trouble

The North American Soccer League (NASL) forum
nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:37 pm

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:23 pm

Don't think for once that it didn't happen, but on the flip they should have taken the cash and walked away into some other venture. :shock:

Poker players Know when to fold em"!
Last edited by suge night on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:16 pm

[quote=""suge night""]Don't think for once that it didn't happen, but on the flip they should have taken the cash and walked away into some other venture. :shock:

Poker players Know when to fold em"![/quote]

When the ABA folded, the NBA paid off the owners of St. Louis and Kentucky handsomely to go away (even though they were two of the stronger groups left at the end, they also gave the Kentucky owner part of the Buffalo franchise). The St. Louis owners declined a straight cash settlement and asked for a percentage of the TV contract, which made them rich for decades (and then took a large cash settlement last year to end that deal).

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:50 pm

Here endeth the NASL (possibly):

http://www.espnfc.com/north-american-so ... -ii-status

The Miami and Cosmos owners might have been able to make a go of it in the USL, but they don't play nice in that sand box. They tried to recruit a bunch of NPSL amateur sides to move up, but that won't likely happen at this point.

They can still go ahead with their suit, but that could take years and the NASL probably wouldn't last that long and the best they could possibly hope to accomplish is $3 in damages and legal fees.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:52 am

[quote=""nksports""]When the ABA folded, the NBA paid off the owners of St. Louis and Kentucky handsomely to go away (even though they were two of the stronger groups left at the end, they also gave the Kentucky owner part of the Buffalo franchise). [/quote]

John Y. Brown actually took $3M to fold the Colonels and bought (was not given) a 50% stake in the Braves and bought the rest the following year. Then he flipped the Braves for the Celtics (can you imagine someone thinking, "Oh, yeah, this is a good deal. I'll get the Buffalo Braves and all I have to give up is the Boston Celtics?").
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

ca
Site Admin

Getting the celtics ...

Post by ca » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:39 pm

For the Braves hey maybe I can still sell the Brooklyn bridge
The sad part in all of this is the fo.ding of the colonels

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:59 am

[quote=""Sam Hill""]"Oh, yeah, this is a good deal. I'll get the Buffalo Braves and all I have to give up is the Boston Celtics?").[/quote]

If you could withstand all the losses from the team's years in Buffalo and San Diego and the LA Sports Arena, it's a quite profitable team today, even as the second fiddle in the Staples Center.
Last edited by nksports on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:27 am

[quote=""nksports""]If you could withstand all the losses from the team's years in Buffalo and San Diego and the LA Sports Arena, it's a quite profitable team today, even as the second fiddle in the Staples Center.[/quote]

No one at any point prior to Johnson and Bird had any inkling that basketball would be what it is today.

I'm talking about at that time. THAT WAS THE BOSTON FREAKING CELTICS.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

nksports
Site Admin

back to reality

Post by nksports » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:23 am

nksports
Site Admin

And

Post by nksports » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:24 am

Return to “NASL”