Af1 tv deal is done!!!!!!!!!!

The ArenaFootball1 (AF1) forum.
TALONS100
Site Admin

AF1 tv deal is done!!!!!!!!!!

Post by TALONS100 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:51 pm

It will be announced monday and all the details can be found here 1st thing monday morning http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/
Last edited by TALONS100 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:00 pm

I guess this rules out spearating the sport away from NFL Lite - lol

NatePreds05
Site Admin

Post by NatePreds05 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:27 pm

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]I guess this rules out spearating the sport away from NFL Lite - lol[/quote]

It makes sense for the NFL Network as they need more programming during the months when there is no NFL. And they do advertise their network as football year around.

Good move by AF1.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:46 pm

Agreed, the NFL network has been seriously void of real content. After accepting billions from other networks to broadcast the NFL games, the NFL network thought it was a good idea to take back certain games for their own broadcast. The NFL network is still young and not shown thru enough outlets for NFL fans but it should be a huge increase for ArenaBall fans.

It will expose NFL fans to the 50 yard sport when there's nothing for them to watch besides reruns.

At first thought it seems like a GREAT move. Maybe it will be but many thought NBC and ESPN were going to be great. I guess it all depends on how it's marketed and broadcast. In the past the networks broadcasting the games seemed to do it hap-hazzardly, almost as an after thought. Many viewers got the feeling it was a 4 team league - lol

NatePreds05
Site Admin

Post by NatePreds05 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:46 pm

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]At first thought it seems like a GREAT move. Maybe it will be but many thought NBC and ESPN were going to be great. I guess it all depends on how it's marketed and broadcast. In the past the networks broadcasting the games seemed to do it hap-hazzardly, almost as an after thought. Many viewers got the feeling it was a 4 team league - lol[/quote]

I thought NBC did a great job with their coverage, just not with their advertising. ESPN added Sportscenter coverage of the league and they did a good job with broadcasts but having Mike and Mike as the AFL commentators and AFL games on Monday Nights were not good decisions.

It is rumored that NFL Network is going to use experienced Arena commentators so we will see. Formal announcement is Monday.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:09 pm

I was pleased the AFL got some coverage but overall disappointed with the big picture. One of the NBC deals was free. You would think since they weren't paying for the broadcast rights they could have spent a little on advertising their own content.

Espn owned 10% of the league through their broadcast deal. This would make most think it in their best interest to take the sport serious and treat it higher than reruns of 3 year old knitting contests. I know, that's an exageration.

The commentators make a huge difference. When they don't know the rules and act like they don't really want to be watching the games it hurts more than no coverage at all. The fans want to be able to watch no matter what, but there aren't enough of us to affect the ratings. They need to attract the casual sports fan and poor production quality doesn't hold their attention.

Besides being able to watch a few games only on their network, I'm not a fan of the NFL network. I don't like the way they follow along on their games and insert their repetitive segments to tell us basically the same thing over and over. I understand it's a young and evolving network, I do hope it improves. Until then I don't wish to pay extra to have it.

Kind of like ESPN, I enjoy their broadcasts but have no use for their magazine. I was an orignal subscriber and hung on because the mag was inexpensive and gave them time to grow. I've since expelled them from my mailbox and prefer to spend much more on magazines such as the Sporting News.

If done correctly the NFL Network could be a huge boost for our niche sport.

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:57 pm

This is awesome. It will be good to watch arena football on TV again. It's a win win for both the NFL Network and the AF1. With the NFL connection, look for KC, NY and LA to field teams soon.

Since the NFLN is a football network, they can package pregame, postgame AF1 shows, etc.

Now just waiting for the IFL TV deal.

peculiarmetal
Site Admin

Post by peculiarmetal » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:31 pm

[quote=""indoor fan""]This is awesome. It will be good to watch arena football on TV again. It's a win win for both the NFL Network and the AF1. With the NFL connection, look for KC, NY and LA to field teams soon.

Since the NFLN is a football network, they can package pregame, postgame AF1 shows, etc.

Now just waiting for the IFL TV deal.[/quote]

Hey, now maybe the IFL will get Versus? Hmmmm...

Return to “AF1”