Dallas Logo

The ArenaFootball1 (AF1) forum.
Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Dallas Logo

Post by Caballo Diablo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Dallas Arena Football Team Announces Name, Unveils New Logo
February 4, 2010 - Arena Football 1 (AF1) Dallas Vigilantes

DALLAS, Texas - Dallas' arena football franchise will be known as the Dallas Vigilantes, the team announced Thursday. The team also released its new visual identity, including a dynamic primary and secondary logo.
The Vigilantes open the 2010 season on April 10, when they travel to play the Tulsa Talons. The Vigilantes open their 2010 home schedule at the American Airlines Center on April 30 when they host the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz.

The Vigilantes name was carefully selected and reflects the strong, take-no-prisoners approach of an organization steeped in championship football tradition. The Vigilantes' owner, Peter C. "Woody" Kern, a resident of Pilot Point, TX, is the former long-time owner of the Arena Football League's Tampa Bay Storm, the league's most successful organization. Under Kern's guidance, the Storm won three World Championships, most recently in 2003, and played in four ArenaBowls.

The Vigilantes' new look features a cowboy hat-wearing skull with a wry, confident smile that appears to dare potential opponents to step onto the field and settle the score. The team's colors will be blue, black, red, and silver.

The logo was developed by Revolution Sports+Entertainment, who retained world-renowned rock-and-roll gig poster artist Mike Martin to create the mark. Martin's Engine House 13 studios have produced poster art and merchandise designs in support of concerts and entertainment events worldwide for artists such as Bob Dylan, Stone Temple Pilots, Kings of Leon, Rod Stewart, Snoop Dogg, The Black Crowes, Marilyn Manson, The Pretenders, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beck, No Doubt, just to name a few. Martin has also been commissioned to create artwork for the Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame.

On the field the Vigilantes will be looking to deliver Texas Justice to opponents with the return of Dallas arena football stars Will Pettis, Duke Pettijohn, and Josh White. All three players played during the final years of the AFL's Dallas Desperados before the team folded prior to the 2009 season.

Also on the Vigilantes' roster are three of the top players from the most recent AFL World Championship team, the Philadelphia Soul. They include defensive back and All-League performer Eddie Moten, All-AFL offensive lineman Phil Bogle, and star receiver Larry Brackins.

Additionally, the Vigilantes boast veteran AFL quarterback Shane Stafford and former All-AFL wide receiver Derek Lee, who led the AFL in receptions and receiving yards during its final season. The team will be coached by Rich Ingold, a former ArenaBowl-winning quarterback who is also one of the winningest coaches in arena football history.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe they should have retained an artist renowned for sports logos instead of copying the Guns & Roses logo. Hey, I like Rock & Roll and skulls, one of my tat's is a skull. But this just doesn't seem right.

And does anyone else think a team or any company for that matter, located in Dallas using a logo with a bullet hole in the head is crazy? After all Daley Plaza isn't far from AAC, you know, the place where JFK was assasinated by being shot in the head!

This is a picture Reppact put together over on ArenaFan

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h35/r ... al_gnr.jpg

Just in case anyone forgot or for the youngsters that weren't around..
http://thebiggestsecretpict.online.fr/n ... pruder.htm

Last edited by Caballo Diablo on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

peculiarmetal
Site Admin

Post by peculiarmetal » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:48 pm

I think it's an awful logo. And it doesn't jive well with the overall feel of the league.

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:05 pm

I agree. The very first thing to comes to mind when I saw that was some sort of KKKish, racists, backwoods attitude. This will not go over well in Dallas.

Someone dropped the ball here. Needs to be changed quick.

hosbogs
Site Admin

Post by hosbogs » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:51 pm

I would have to disagree.... I think it's pretty cool! :cool:

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:36 pm

Exactly what a supposed "national" sports league needs: Every team doing their own thing with logo design.

Tells me all I need to know if "arena football" is going to survive.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

peculiarmetal
Site Admin

Post by peculiarmetal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:00 pm

[quote=""indoor fan""]I agree. The very first thing to comes to mind when I saw that was some sort of KKKish, racists, backwoods attitude. This will not go over well in Dallas.

Someone dropped the ball here. Needs to be changed quick.[/quote]

It reminded me of one of those temporary tatoos for kids in a gumball machine. Trying to be a little too edgy for it's own good. The skull with a hat is fine....needs to be more stylized instead of "realistic" in presentation. And for God's sake, why would you put a bullet through your Mascot's head? lol.

Return to “AF1”