This league has BIG plans.

The ArenaFootball1 (AF1) forum.
50 Yard Fan
Site Admin

This league has BIG plans.

Post by 50 Yard Fan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:49 pm

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/a ... agin150718

Talons could play overseas
The International division is included in league's vision.

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer
Published: 1/28/2010 2:34 AM
Last Modified: 1/28/2010 5:53 AM

Imagine the Tulsa Talons playing an arena football game in Cologne, Germany, or Barcelona. It's not that far-fetched. Teams in the new Arena Football One league haven't played a game, and owners are already talking about expansion.

One possibility is an international division by 2012 — pretty ambitious for a league that has been cobbled together in the last six months, following the crash of the Arena Football League.

"As crazy as it sounds, it makes perfect economic sense with our economic model to have a four-team division in Europe. The goal is to have an international division as soon as 2012," said Brett Bouchy, president of the Arizona Rattlers and Orlando Predators.

The league will play its inaugural season in 2010 with 15 teams and Bouchy sees expansion in the U.S. to 20 to 22 in 2011, with possible new markets in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia or New York. The ultimate goal is to reach 28 or 30 markets, with several overseas.

Talons co-owner Paul Ross said the AFL staged about a dozen games in Europe over an eight-year period and all were successful.

"There's a strong commitment there (for international expansion)," Ross said. "We've got several wealthy owners. We're very good financially with this new league, and we've told (commissioner Jerry Kurz) that we want to make a push."

Bouchy and others were in town Wednesday for league meetings at the Downtown Doubletree Hotel. AF1 is expected to move into its new Tulsa office within 30 days. Accomodations will be provided by the City of Tulsa, Metropolitan Tulsa Chamber of Commerce and the Tulsa Sports Commission.

The new league will have two conferences of two divisions each. The Talons will compete in the Southwest Division of the American Conference with the Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings, Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz and Dallas Desperados.

The Desperados are new a franchise taking the name of the old AFL team. The Battle Wings and Yard Dawgz are former Talons rivals from the af2 developmental league.

Tulsa opens by hosting the Tampa Bay Storm, a five-time AFL champion, on April 3.

Ross said the league expects to announce a television contract shortly.

Fans can expect a higher level of play than the old af2, said Battle Wings president Dan Newman, who chairs the league's board of directors.

"Yes, the talent level's going way up," Newman said. "Pretty much what you're going to see when you come to the BOK Center is the Talons all-stars from yesteryear, (along with) guys that played for (AFL salaries of $1,500 per week)."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/a ... agin150718

peculiarmetal
Site Admin

Post by peculiarmetal » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:55 pm

Not trying to poo poo anybody, but can we please just worry about getting the first season off to a good start? I mean, some of these teams don't even have a website yet, I've got precious little info on tickets from Dallas/Frisco . . . I'm confused as to whether it will even be the Desperados still. They couldn't even manage to get the 16th team to round out the divisions and they're talking about Europe? WTF? Seriously? WHY!?!!!?! Talk about travel expense! Again...I'm very excited to have indoor ball in my neck of the woods, but I'm really starting to question the financial viability at this point.

One other point....get a new logo AF1...please? It looks awful.

Oh, btw, not attacking you 50 Yard Fan....just voicing my opinion. Thanks for posting the info.
Last edited by peculiarmetal on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:06 pm

Mr Kurz has been chasing this dream longer than Mr Baker chased the dream of being the 5th major league. Like previous Arena and NFL games overseas they do well, but it's a whole different story playing a whole league all season than it is intermittent exhibition games. This is one of the reasons the af2 played their league championship in Puerto Rico. Plus the league office really wanted a free carribean vacation. :infun:

With the oversea fans jonesing for some football now that NFLE has disbanded, the possibility of success at the box office for the 50 yard game has increased.

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:10 pm

[quote=""peculiarmetal""]Not trying to poo poo anybody, but can we please just worry about getting the first season off to a good start? I mean, some of these teams don't even have a website yet, I've got precious little info on tickets from Dallas/Frisco . . . I'm confused as to whether it will even be the Desperados still. They couldn't even manage to get the 16th team to round out the divisions and they're talking about Europe? WTF? Seriously? WHY!?!!!?! Talk about travel expense! Again...I'm very excited to have indoor ball in my neck of the woods, but I'm really starting to question the financial viability at this point.

Oh, btw, not attacking you 50 Yard Fan....just voicing my opinion. Thanks for posting the info.[/quote]

I agree. Get through 2010 first and build your base in the US. The Versus TV deal will be huge. As expected, many AFL faces are back in the AF1. Players and coaches will want to be at the highest level and pay they can be at.

peculiarmetal
Site Admin

Post by peculiarmetal » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:28 pm

So really? They're getting a Versus TV deal? Is that confirmed? How does that work if your carrier doesn't have the station?

NatePreds05
Site Admin

Post by NatePreds05 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:40 pm

[quote=""peculiarmetal""]Not trying to poo poo anybody, but can we please just worry about getting the first season off to a good start? I mean, some of these teams don't even have a website yet, I've got precious little info on tickets from Dallas/Frisco . . . I'm confused as to whether it will even be the Desperados still. They couldn't even manage to get the 16th team to round out the divisions and they're talking about Europe? WTF? Seriously? WHY!?!!!?! Talk about travel expense! Again...I'm very excited to have indoor ball in my neck of the woods, but I'm really starting to question the financial viability at this point.

Oh, btw, not attacking you 50 Yard Fan....just voicing my opinion. Thanks for posting the info.[/quote]

All AF1 teams have websites now, and if you want info on Dallas tickets, just go to their website (http://www.dallasarenafootball.com), all the info you need is there. Dallas will not be the Desperados due to Jerry Jones owning merchandise rights, they will be the Dallas Vigilantes.

As for the logo, it is rumored that the AF1 logo is just for this year, and in 2011 the league will be called the AFL and use the AFL logo.

In response to the plans outlined in the article posted, I too agree that I think a European division by 2012 is a little too ambitious, but 20-22 teams in the US by 2012 is very doable.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:23 pm

[quote=""NatePreds05""]
In response to the plans outlined in the article posted, I too agree that I think a European division by 2012 is a little too ambitious, but 20-22 teams in the US by 2012 is very doable.[/quote]
Agreed.

I have no problem with continuing the dream of expanding the sport beyond our borders. But the PR and efforts should be on setting the foundation of the League here over the next few years first.

I was expecting BigEasy to ask if Ron had become the AF1's PR Director. ;)

peculiarmetal
Site Admin

Post by peculiarmetal » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks for the link Nate. When I click on the team on the official AF1 site, it just pulls up a map. lol. Good deal. That's good news about switching the name. I agree around 20 teams would be ideal...possibly as many as 24. I hope my beloved VooDoo make a return...though I'm not holding my breath.

BTW...transplanted New Orleans native living in the Dallas area. ;)

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:37 pm

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]Plus the league office really wanted a free carribean vacation.[/quote]
Bingo! It's been Uncle Jer's M.O. since they convinced Ilitch to give them European vacations every year during the early '90's.

peculiarmetal
Site Admin

Post by peculiarmetal » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

So, I hope that that it's true about the Versus deal. I just checked and I already had the channel. Sorry...just not into outdoorsman stuff. lol. Never bothered to look for it before.

Return to “AF1”