AF1 QB's

The ArenaFootball1 (AF1) forum.
indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:43 pm

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]You COULD look foolish by not being able to follow a conversation and picking out certain words, sayings, etc., taking them out of context and lying about what was said. Total comprehension of a conversation does elude some people.

Let give you an example of not comprehending a post.

He said:

I agree, calling the AF1 on the same par/level as HS ball is ludicrous. He doesn't recall any poster saying it, I didn't say it, but you still can't get over your homerism.

If anything is posted below saying the AF1 is God's gift to the 50 yard game and they're the greatest thing to ever step on the field, you go into tunnel vision and an epelectic fit. This seems to destroy the reality of the conversation. You can't twist things at your convienece into a literal statement of fact when you aren't even close to what it was.

Yes, Singing nanny nanny boo boo from atop the playground monkey bars does look foolish. To continue spewing a falsehood doesn't make it so. I know, I know, they say if you lie enough times people begin to actually believe it themselves. I think you've made it to that point.[/quote]

Caballo, please expain what you meant by your statement then:

"then the fans show up expecting Desperado talent and a High School game breaks out. "

Sounds a lot like YOU are saying the AF1 will be the high school game. I'm I wrong?

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:09 pm

[quote=""indoor fan""]Caballo, please expain what you meant by your statement then:

"then the fans show up expecting Desperado talent and a High School game breaks out. "

Sounds a lot like YOU are saying the AF1 will be the high school game. I'm I wrong?[/quote]
I thought I had explained it in a few posts.

The AF1 will not be the quality as the AFL, yet many seem stuck on promoting it that way. The AF1, according to their structure, busniss plan, and salary cap looks to be between the af2 and AFL. Which is a type of league I've supported over the years.

The af2 teams should see some inprovement in quality with a larger pay scale and being able to sign some AFL players because that league is defunct. The Former AFL teams have to please fans that for the most part felt the af2 was poor quality and it'll be harder to please their fans.

A couple of the teams signing allstar rosters could make those fans happy.
Thus the tongue and cheek, a HS game breaks out. I know you've heard sinilar statements before. You go to a basketball game, it becomes extremely physical with some fisticuffs and the guy say; I went to a BB game last night and a hockey game broke out. Do you really think they broke out the sticks and a puck?

I've never been shy on saying things or at a loss for words. If I truly believed the AF1 was no more than HS talent I would have said it. Yes, anyone honestly thinking it's at the HS level is beyond ludicrous.

Back to the questions, do you believe these allstar rosters are cap friendly or possibly some shenanagens are going on? Do you think a few killer teams beating up on the af2 and AIFA teams will be positive or negative for the league. They need a competitive league with strong talent throughout. If it just becomes another league of the haves vs the have nots, the cheaters vs the rule obeyers, etc. than they've slipped a couple rungs on the ladder instead of the improvements we needed in the sport.

While a good first impression is desirable, the long term plan is far more important than year one. If the precedent is, the end justifies the means for the wealthy owners and the other franchises can't keep up it could be a recipie for disaster down the road.

peculiarmetal
Site Admin

Post by peculiarmetal » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:20 pm

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]

The AF1 will not be the quality as the AFL, yet many seem stuck on promoting it that way. The AF1, according to their structure, busniss plan, and salary cap looks to be between the af2 and AFL. Which is a type of league I've supported over the years.
[/quote]

It's pretty obvious that the quality of the AF1 simply CAN'T be the same quality as the AFL. Though I see no reason why it still won't be enjoyable to watch. I was quite fond of the AF2 and my favorite team the Battlewings. So, if it's a slightly better quality than that, I'm perfectly happy...however...

While a good first impression is desirable, the long term plan is far more important than year one. If the precedent is, the end justifies the means for the wealthy owners and the other franchises can't keep up it could be a recipie for disaster down the road.
This is exactly what concerns me with the AF1. It seems that some of the teams are biting off more than they can chew financially. I think you should go into this expecting maybe 3,500 to 5,000 in attendance and set your venue accordingly. There will be exceptions of course...for instance, I think the Barn Stormers and the Shock regularly had attendances much higher than that. But newly established, or re-establishing teams need to be wary of what they are spending.

NatePreds05
Site Admin

Post by NatePreds05 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:02 pm

[quote=""peculiarmetal""]Actually, I have to quite agree with your assessment on the Airlines Center. I was furious when I heard they were forgoing the Dr. Pepper Center for this. Although I later found out the Stars were playing there, so I guess that's a problem. IDK. Don't follow hockey. But anyway, I was under the impression that they were trying to make the game more reasonably priced and a family friendly affair. Seems more likely and more desirable to fill to capacity a 5,000 seat arena than to have a 1/3 full 15,000 seat arena. I'm excited about the league, but this does make me worry about the financial viability of the team.

Oh, forgot to add. I don't see families of 4 or more lugging the kids all the way to Dallas from the outlying areas, paying for parking, etc. Maybe I'm wrong. I know I'll be less likely to.[/quote]

Well the Desperados played there from 2002-2008 and had pretty good attendance, and ticket prices are lower this season, so I think they will have a good amount of fans.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:36 pm

The last few seasons of the Desperados the crowds were noticably shrinking. Let's hope cheaper tickets bring them back.

Return to “AF1”