Af1 or IFL

The ArenaFootball1 (AF1) forum.
Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:37 pm

[quote=""NatePreds05""]I have noticed that numerous people think the AF1 will not get off the ground, that it is an "unproven commodity".[/quote]
I feel the AF1 will get off the ground and has a chance to be a good league. But it is an unproven commodity. It's the first year of business and we'll just have to see what happens over the next couple of years.

[quote=""NatePreds05""]
It is far from it. All of the franchises (except for Jacksonville) have established histories in other leagues, arena and indoor. Plus the Tampa Bay Storm are owned by the Tampa Bay Lightning, can't have a more stable ownership than that.[/quote]
I'm not sure I would say ALL of them are established. Just because you start an expansion franchise and the league allows you to use the name of the former team doesn't mean the new one will be as good, or bad if you will, as the original team under the same name.

Bouchy has been around the sport but is new to ownership. Some question his character. He's got 2 teams and his brother another. Ferraro, let's see, New Jersey, Las Vagas, Cleveland, some would say he's a shyster. We could go through all the teams one by one but I'm not trying to prove any negative points.

I'm just saying there are always reasons for concern in minor league sports. The af2 was successful and we were told that was the business plan they would follow. Things have changed and expenses are mounting. I hope it all works out but I'm taking a wait and see attitude. Put a team in my town and I'll buy tickets.

Tampa has new ownership, fortunately it's people that have done it before.
[quote=""NatePreds05""]
As for him losing income, like any minor league football league the team arranges for a job and housing so he is taken care of while playing and he makes a full income.[/quote]
Housing and meals are a great extra, but all teams do not supply all players with real jobs on the side. Even if they did, is it the same pay as the job back home? Is the career advancement better at the new job or the one back home? Will the team cover the cost of bringing in the family for visits, etc.

All we were saying is he needed to examine his complete circumstances, not just which team or league is better. lots of variables with different meanings to different people.
[quote=""NatePreds05""]
No one can argue that Tim Marcum is an excellent coach who always has found talent. If this player is successful with him it can move him higher (to the $1000 pay scale or NFL/CFL/UFL). No IFL coach can compare to him.[/quote]
I've never disputed Marcums coaching record, I questioned if he has a better success rate of moving guys up. If a player has the talent to play at a higher level it will be seen no matter if he plays Indoor or ArenaBall.

A lot of it depends on the position, WR will have better stats in ArenaBall, but DB's will look pathetic. That's from the system and rules, not necessarily the greatnes or ineptness of the player. A running back will look a lot better playing Indoor Ball.

Some players are mediocre on one team and great on another and vice versa. Did he improve or flop that quickly? Or was it the system around him that helped him flourish or fail?

As we discuss a hobby he's trying to make life changing decisions. Once again, it's all about an honest perspective, not Homerism.

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:55 pm

Yes, 2010 is off to a start fresh on the OSC indoor football boards
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

NatePreds05
Site Admin

Post by NatePreds05 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:49 pm

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]
Bouchy has been around the sport but is new to ownership. Some question his character. He's got 2 teams and his brother another. [/quote]

I bring this back up to show you that Bouchy has been owning teams for a lot longer than you think. Check this out: http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article- ... eague.html

Bouchy has been involved with arena football for over a decade, and owned or led the Predators for numerous years (a stable and successful franchise). So I would not call him "new" to the business.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Yes, Bouchy was a minority owner and President, by the way also kicked out by the majority owner of the Preds for his unscrupulous behavior both in the front office and in the stands. Most Pred fan's I've talked with were happy to see him go.

There's far more involved to be the majority owner and overseeing the entire ball of wax. Last year, oh wait, they didn't play last season. The year before in AZ was his first year in this position. And how did that TV deal work out? I'll bet it attracted the masses in droves and pulled in huge ratings. It almost saved the league from itself, didn't it? Did I say he was NEW to the Business? Has his ethics or attitude changed? And you guys love to smack raidermac over his attitude. Bouchey makes raidermac look like a sweetheart - lol

You are aware of his fighting with fans in the stands and unleashing profanities during these tirades uncaring about the children listening or projecting an unprofessional perception of the franchise and it's front office.
But I guess he learned this type of language towards the crowd from Gruden - lol

Return to “AF1”