NatePreds05
Site Admin

Player Salary, Playoffs, Tier Makeup Details Emerge

Post by NatePreds05 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:53 pm

Link: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/mobile/s ... ?ID=310812

Shock, new league take shape
Team adds more players; additional details emerge
Jim Meehan / jimm@spokesman.com; (20 8) 765-7131

As Spokane continues forming its roster, the new arena football league it is joining is ironing out details for the 2010 season.

The Shock announced Friday the return of defensive lineman Ben McCombs and fullback Harrison Nikolao, as well as the addition of AFL veterans Terry Moss, Cleannord Saintil and Chris Martin. They join four players who signed earlier this week.

Meanwhile, Shock general manager Adam Nebeker, who just returned from Board of Directors meetings in Chicago, said the league is firming up the number of teams, divisions and player pay scale.

Commissioner Jerry Kurz agreed.

"I think by the end of next week we'll have an announcement in stone of who is in and who is not," Kurz said. "I'd rather go with a smaller number of teams that are all solid and give teams that aren't accepted a little longer to get up and running for 2011."

At least 11 teams are expected to form the upper tier of the new league. Spokane will probably play in the North with Utah, Milwaukee, Chicago and Iowa. The South would consist of Arizona, Tulsa, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Orlando and Jacksonville.

Arizona has signed four former Shock players – quarterback Nick Davila, defensive back Sergio Gilliam and offensive linemen Kyle Young and John Booker.

There are currently six lower-tier teams: Tri-Cities, Central Valley, Bossier-Shreveport, Oklahoma City, Arkansas and Tennessee Valley. Those six, along with Spokane, Tulsa, Iowa and Milwaukee, were members of arenafootball2 last season.

Additions are possible, including another upper-tier team and two lower tier, which would leave both with an even number, Kurz said. That's advantageous for scheduling.

Playoffs for the upper tier will likely consist of six teams. North and South division winners would earn first-round byes. Second-place teams in each division would qualify. The final two qualifiers would be selected on the basis of best record.

Teams would carry 20 players on the active roster, three on practice squad. There won't be an exemption for international players, one of the few rules that won't carry over from af2.

Players will make $400 per game, but teams will be allowed to sign a maximum of three "showcase" players, who will make $1,000 per game. Quarterback figures to be one of the "showcase" positions, along with receiver and middle defensive back.

McCombs, in his first season with the Shock, led af2 with 15.5 sacks in 2009.

Nikolao has nine rushing touchdowns the last two seasons.

Saintil led AFL San Jose with 120 catches for 1,503 yards and 35 touchdowns in 2008.

The 33-year-old Martin, a former Washington State Cougar, led AFL in 2008 with six returns for touchdowns for Grand Rapids.

Moss had 15 receptions in six games with AFL New York in 2008.

Receiver Raul Vijil, the only member of the first four Shock teams, said he's undecided about returning. After Spokane won the ArenaCup in August, Vijil sounded as if he'd played his last game. Now, the door is slightly more open.

"We've talked quite a bit and Rob (Keefe, Shock head coach) and I are really good friends," Vijil said. "I definitely have a decision to make in the near future."

I am glad the league will pony up some higher salaries for good players. It will definitely get some more former AFLers into the action. As a Preds fan I am also happy that Tampa Bay will be back. The proposed playoff structure looks good.

Big Easy
Site Admin

Post by Big Easy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:49 pm

Does MacGregor have involvement with this league? How many teams does he own...how many will he own? Just curious. He's been awfully quiet lately.
If integrity is missing, so are you.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:26 pm

Or is he putting together the REAL Arena league for 2011? :eek:

phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:47 pm

[quote=""Big Easy""]Does MacGregor have involvement with this league? How many teams does he own...how many will he own? Just curious. He's been awfully quiet lately.[/quote]

I think MacGregor actually owns the league.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:29 am

That's impossible, malepig and blizzardboy would be screaming about corruption and unethical behavior. ;)

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:41 am

Tulsa (metro pop. 916,079) is Tier I (18,401 BOK Center)

Okla. City (metro pop. 1,206,142) is Tier II (13,231 Cox Convention Center/17,868 Ford Center)

That's intresting. Considering how fierce the old CHL rivalry between the Oiler and Blazers used to be, I'd think they'd want to be in the same tier.

If you really want to get kinky here, this league is screaming out for promotion/relegation. The Tier II playoff champion, runner-up and the winner of a consolation game between the semifinal loser gets promoted. The bottom four Tier I teams play a playoff with the winner not getting relegated.

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:36 pm

Dallas???? I thought Jerry Jones was out of the arena game. Will there be a new owner and team?

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:27 pm

[quote=""indoor fan""]Dallas???? I thought Jerry Jones was out of the arena game. Will there be a new owner and team?[/quote]
Yes...But they won't play in the city of Dallas per se...They're playing at the Dr Pepper Arena in Frisco (former home of the Intense League's Frisco Thunder)
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:54 pm

What's the deal here?

I have no idea what article the quote came from, it was posted by YowDawg.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Former AFL Blaze kicker and new Utah general manager Steve Videtich said the league's structure will prevent rising costs from sinking AF1 like it did the AFL. Players will be paid a third of the AFL union-mandated $1,800 per game check, but Videtich doesn't expect lower salaries to affect the level of talent.

1/3?? $600/game?

http://www.arenafan.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=118972

Return to “AF1”