R.i.p sifl

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
Gusher
Site Admin

Post by Gusher » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:59 pm

Mmmmmm one of my favorites "Blackend Dead Horse"
by Dan Ryan
July 6, 2010 - World Indoor Football League (WIFL)

ORLANDO - Hard to believe that one of football's top executives is a huge fan of a chef. Yet, Gary Tufford can't get enough of Gordon Ramsay.

"The guy's amazing," said Tufford, the President of GT Sports Group. "Oh, yes, personality wise, Ramsey may have issues with clients but when you look at the body of work, he knows the culinary arts and knows how to run a successful operation especially restaurants. The fact that he is bold and confident in what he does shouldn't matter if the results are there. The "Kitchen Nightmares" show he does where he turns around a failing restaurant is one of my favorites."

Would Tufford even go as far as calling himself "the Gordon Ramsey" of indoor and arena football? Absolutely, and why not? His forte' has been as the fixer or the builder in the indoor football world. When leagues or teams struggle chances are Tufford is getting a call for his next assignment.

"Chances are if you're calling me you either need something created or what you've got is in need of some serious revamping. You're not going to like all that I say sometimes," Tufford said. "But the bottom line is if you want it to work you have to be willing to listen and learn. I certainly don't know everything but I do know what works in this business. Sometimes an owner or manager's best intentions are his worst enemy when trying to re-invent the process. There is never a substitute for tried and true principles coupled with hard work and a desire to succeed."

And Tufford should know. His extensive background includes stints as a player, coach, scout, personnel consultant and general manager in the Canadian Football League, the Arena Football League, the NFL and as Commissioner of the World Indoor Football League. He has also served as the Executive Director of the Indoor Football League and the American Indoor Football League along with various other sports management posts.

"I'm very proud of the work we've done, especially the WIFL despite it not lasting as long as it should have," Tufford said. "We ran the WIFL right and I feel strongly about our operations plan and the product we produced. Sometimes ownership situations force issues that are out of your control and you regroup."

The 2010-2011 off-season is shaping up as one of the most intriguing in the brief history of indoor football.

"Teams are going to come and go. Leagues are going to come and go. The relaunch of the Arena Football League and the rise of the outdoor United Football League have changed the landscape tremendously," Tufford said. "New leagues are trying to establish their territory and old ones continue to improve. I believe there will be some fresh blood on the scene in the near future and that will certainly add to the already interesting mix."

GT Sports Group is a full-service sports consulting firm that specializes in Pro Football. Services include operations, front office management, sponsorship, marketing and public relations.

For more information, contact GT Sports Group at gt@gtsportsgroup.com .

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:31 pm

nicely written. the client was happy. your point, other than showcasing your ability to do an internet search and then cut and paste it?
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

sportznut
Site Admin

Post by sportznut » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:33 pm

That solves it.... League Killer was busy cooking or watching cooking shows to realize he missed the final season of the SIFL...
Changes.... they are a coming......

sportznut
Site Admin

Post by sportznut » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:34 pm

And yes Dan, Really!
Changes.... they are a coming......

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:43 pm

okay. just making sure.......if they ever close this thread, i look forward to another one being opened...
Last edited by daytonadan on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:23 pm

[quote=""daytonadan""]nicely written[/quote]

Honey Badger agrees

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:58 am

Since we are openly sharing I might as well let my voice be heard once and for all.

I can see why Robert would be pissed the SIFL tanked, he helped create it. But I can not for the life of me figure out why you Jerry are so pissed off at Hager and Tufford. If I recall correctly from reading these forums you haven't attended an indoor football game in a number of years. That's your choice and thats ok, but come on man, let this SIFL thing go. Its done. Elvis has left the buidling.

I have attended every Richmond Raider home game since the team began in 2010. Last season alone I dropped $600 in tickets, merch and food. That is a crap load of money man!! But my wife and I are ok with spending the big bucks because we enjoy the players, the product on the field and the ownership team. If anything I should be pissed off because the Raiders were screwed out of a playoff spot even with 'winning' the mid-Atlantic division. It was totally obvious that Hager changed the rule so his good buddy Bondo would get Trenton in a play off game. But, the only 'prize' the Raiders received for winning the division was playing a semi pro team in Fayetteville and scoring 80 points in a meaningless game. But you know what? I'm not posting every day about how horrible the SIFL was. Yes I have bashed it in the past but the time has come to move on.

How did the SIFL sinking make your life worse Jerry, how did it affect your family? Did you lose thousands of dollars in investments or sponsorships? How much of your own personal money did you spend supporting the SIFL in 2011?

If anything the fans that paid for tickets should be upset because of the SIFL's horrible leadership. The people that invested their hard earned dollars during this down economy to take part in something once a week to make them forget about their boring, thankless work day.

Tons of leagues have come and gone and you know what? Rehashing this SIFL fiasco ever day on this board will not make future commissioners more honest or ethical. People are greedy for money and power and thats just the way it is. Fans have to find good owners and partonize THEIR teams.

Lets focus on the future. Lets talk about the LSFL and the PIFL and see if their business model can hold up longer than a single season.

I hope my rant doesn't get my perma banned from osc because I come here pretty much 20 times a day, but I had to let that out.

That is all
Thank you
Ruben

http://tinyurl.com/5t6wqjq
Last edited by coachingubigr on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

BananaCat
Site Admin

Post by BananaCat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:05 am

I believe in looking toward the future, but not forgetting the past. The SIFL in 2011 ranks as the third worst season (behind the last two years of the NIFL) a league has ever put forth. As far as money spent towards something, that has never been reserved as the only criteria to comment on anything. I didn't spend any money on the league (I would've gone to a game if I was in the area...well, if it wasn't a replacement game), but I will tear it a new one until times end if I feel like it. The NIFL's destruction was heavily harped on, so I expect this demise of the SIFL to be talked about for years to come. Don't worry though, the talk on this subject will decrease significantly once the 2012 season starts for indoor leagues. This is the off-season for indoor football, so I think it's fair to expect this subject to drag on for awhile.
Indoor Football Forum .com

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:10 am

[quote=""coachingubigr""]Since we are openly sharing I might as well let my voice be heard once and for all.

I can see why Robert would be pissed the SIFL tanked, he helped create it. But I can not for the life of me figure out why you Jerry are so pissed off at Hager and Tufford. If I recall correctly from reading these forums you haven't attended an indoor football game in a number of years. That's your choice and thats ok, but come on man, let this SIFL thing go. Its done. Elvis has left the buidling.

I have attended every Richmond Raider home game since the team began in 2010. Last season alone I dropped $600 in tickets, merch and food. That is a crap load of money man!! But my wife and I are ok with spending the big bucks because we enjoy the players, the product on the field and the ownership team. If anything I should be pissed off because the Raiders were screwed out of a playoff spot even with 'winning' the mid-Atlantic division. It was totally obvious that Hager changed the rule so his good buddy Bondo would get Trenton in a play off game. But, the only 'prize' the Raiders received for winning the division was playing a semi pro team in Fayetteville and scoring 80 points in a meaningless game. But you know what? I'm not posting every day about how horrible the SIFL was. Yes I have bashed it in the past but the time has come to move on.

How did the SIFL sinking make your life worse Jerry, how did it affect your family? Did you lose thousands of dollars in investments or sponsorships? How much of your own personal money did you spend supporting the SIFL in 2011?

If anything the fans that paid for tickets should be upset because of the SIFL's horrible leadership. The people that invested their hard earned dollars during this down economy to take part in something once a week to make them forget about their boring, thankless work day.

Tons of leagues have come and gone and you know what? Rehashing this SIFL fiasco ever day on this board will not make future commissioners more honest or ethical. People are greedy for money and power and thats just the way it is. Fans have to find good owners and partonize THEIR teams.

Lets focus on the future. Lets talk about the LSFL and the PIFL and see if their business model can hold up longer than a single season.

I hope my rant doesn't get my perma banned from osc because I come here pretty much 20 times a day, but I had to let that out.

That is all
Thank you
Ruben

http://tinyurl.com/5t6wqjq[/quote]

Interesting that you don't get it. I enjoy the sport whether I attend or not. I've long said not a fan of the game as much as a fan of the fan. Enjoy the passion of the fan and what they get out of it. At one time a fan, but working with in the sport can easily change that as it no longer is a sport, but work. I want to see the sport succeed, to grow and be what it can be. When those like Tufford and Hager get involved they destroy much of what little progress there has been over the last 12 years. Have I lost money as a result of being involved in this sort, like most who have been involved with leagues, yes, but I'm not bitter as that's just history.

What I object to most though is those that come on these boards, post crap that isn't even relative to the subject at hand. Of course a little humor tossed in here and there is fine and maybe even needed to lighten things up, but some use these forums to do nothing but quote old movies and post links to off the wall videos. I mean what's the point? You may find it entertaining which is great, but some of us see it for what it is. If you don't have something relative to post then why bother? It's just rude if nothing else and does nothing to help the sport.

Oh and btw I do follow one team each and every week. Go to games if close, which is rare, but will not miss a live broadcast if I can help it. At least the team I follow is stable and not likely to fold or be jumping leagues anytime soon.

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:29 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]At least the team I follow is stable and not likely to fold or be jumping leagues anytime soon.[/quote]

How is it the fault of the Richmond Raiders that two leagues folded two years in a row? Its not. The Raiders are a well run organization that happened to join the wrong league twice.

And its not like I can follow a different local indoor team in 2012. As for the Revolution, I only attended one game in 2011 because standing in the rain sucks.

Return to “SIFL”