NEw League, etc. But Baltimore not involved anywhere?

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
NTE
Site Admin

NEw League, etc. But Baltimore not involved anywhere?

Post by NTE » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:06 pm

Just checking in, it seems like the return of Baltimore indoor football isn't happening? is that the case?

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:56 pm

We don't know for sure. The status of an AIFA return to the field appears to be up in the air, and its reincarnation seems to be Baltimore's only hope for 2012.

nksports
Site Admin

There's no pleasing some people

Post by nksports » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:30 pm

Jeeze louise, you got the Orioles, the Ravens and the Blast. What more do you want?
;)

NTE
Site Admin

Post by NTE » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:50 pm

[quote=""nksports""]Jeeze louise, you got the Orioles, the Ravens and the Blast. What more do you want?
;) [/quote]

I hate baseball, never watch it, hate indoor soccer, never watch it. I live in Baltimore and am a huge, lifelong Steelers fan, born and raised in Pittsburgh. Personally, I love indoor/arena football and want a local team. When we had indoor football, I'd be at the game with 2,000 fans enjoying indoor football, while 45,000 people where two blocks away watching the Orioles vs. Yankees, myself, not even caring about that, since I hate the sport of baseball. that's it, I want indoor football, those teams you name mean ZILCH to me.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:32 pm

[quote=""NTE""]I hate baseball, never watch it, hate indoor soccer, never watch it. I live in Baltimore and am a huge, lifelong Steelers fan, born and raised in Pittsburgh. Personally, I love indoor/arena football and want a local team. When we had indoor football, I'd be at the game with 2,000 fans enjoying indoor football, while 45,000 people where two blocks away watching the Orioles vs. Yankees, myself, not even caring about that, since I hate the sport of baseball. that's it, I want indoor football, those teams you name mean ZILCH to me.[/quote]

To some degree you hit the nail on the head except for the Steeler part. Problem with Baltimore is too big of a market, too much competition for the entertainment dollar, for a team at this level to succeed. Unlikely Baltimore will ever see a solid indoor franchise and only those fly by night ownerships that may or may not even make it through a season. You may or may not care what type of team is there as long as you get a team, but what I'm saying is chances are slim for any. The Baltimore market better suited for an AFL team with deeper pocket ownership

NTE
Site Admin

Post by NTE » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:55 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]To some degree you hit the nail on the head except for the Steeler part. Problem with Baltimore is too big of a market, too much competition for the entertainment dollar, for a team at this level to succeed. Unlikely Baltimore will ever see a solid indoor franchise and only those fly by night ownerships that may or may not even make it through a season. You may or may not care what type of team is there as long as you get a team, but what I'm saying is chances are slim for any. The Baltimore market better suited for an AFL team with deeper pocket ownership[/quote]

I'd love to get an AFL team. I think it would succeed. However, unless we get a new building, I doubt that happens, 1st Mariner Arena is a really crappy venue for such a major city.

You're probably right about "too much competition for the entertainment dollar", but to me, that isn't the issue, The Orioles and baseball are not a choice that I'd take stacked up vs. indoor football, because to me, indoor football is way more exciting than even Phillies/Yankees WS Game 7! The problem is there aren't enough people like me. And that I have always found odd? I love football so much, I want to see it all year round, I don't want to watch baseball in May and June, I want to watch football, i always wondered why with footballs aparaent extreme popularity, indoor/arena football never really caught on with the mainstream of sports fans?

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 pm

[quote=""nksports""]Jeeze louise, you got the Orioles, the Ravens and the Blast. What more do you want?
;) [/quote]What more do we want, you ask? A team that wins CHAMPIONSHIPS.

O's haven't won a championship since 1983 (I was only 6 when it happened, which makes it SOOOOOOOOO long ago), so that rules them out......lol.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Founded 1908.
The First and Always The Finest

NTE
Site Admin

Post by NTE » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:35 pm

;) [/quote]

Part of the assumption is that there is a monolithic "sports fan", who loves all sports, so when it's spring, that person watches baseball, and in June the same person watches the NBA playoffs...NOT TRUE! I'm an avid sports fan, I love NFL football, college football, Indoor/Arena football, college basketball and hockey...so no, on a June afternoon where there are 12 baseball games and 3 NBA playoff games on TV, if you ask ME, I might answer, "Too bad there are no sports on TV today".

BananaCat
Site Admin

Post by BananaCat » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:41 am

[quote=""NTE""]I want to see it all year round, I don't want to watch baseball in May and June, I want to watch football, i always wondered why with footballs aparaent extreme popularity, indoor/arena football never really caught on with the mainstream of sports fans?[/quote]
American's love football the most, but many also follow other sports as well. You, myself, and a small percentage of the population only follow football specifically unfortunately, and that's why indoor football hasn't broken through popularity-wise yet. I could see it gaining in popularity with the major backing of some billionaires and a network TV deal (ESPN, NFL Network, ABC, NBC, FOX, or CBS) to enhance exposure, but even that would take many years. The AFL has been around since the 80's and it's still considered a niche sport (not having a running game and restrictive defensive rules have turned it off to the public at large). Perhaps one day indoor football will gain in popularity, but not anytime soon.
Indoor Football Forum .com

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook

EDOJ1
Site Admin

Post by EDOJ1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:17 am

The Maryland Force who plays in Frederick Md who was the DMV Hitmen just announced they will play in the AIFA in 2012, but didnt know of any more teams.

Return to “SIFL”