New League - More Details

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:03 pm

[quote=""Alhammer""]LOVE ARENA RULES. I want to see offense. This is not suppose to be football inside. 8 on 8 is offensive minded[/quote]

Agreed, definitely prefer arena rules, look at all of the offensive records that were set in the SIFL during the 2011 season, almost every existing passing and receiving record was obliterated. In fact, many records established in 2011 also broke the league's career records that existed for the SIFL for the first two seasons. Give me offense anyday, besides we all know that Huntsville is an arena market, the one experience with the indoor game during the UIF's 2005 season was soundly rejected by the fan base, I do not believe that the Huntsville market would support another indoor effort.

I am still bummed that we will not see the "net rules" in play for the 2012 season but I understand why the league would not set up to those with the expense of starting a new league. If the nets come in 2013, I will be happy. In the meantime, I am going to request of our owner to please vote to dump the "uno" rule, it is not part of the current arena rule set. The only way that it would might make sense were if the rebound nets were utilized. Kicking the ball through the slack net gets you a point but if you miss it comes out to the 20 yard line? Talk about all or nothing. If you are going to give a point to the defense, make it something hard, like you get a point for tackling the returner in the endzone, in many leagues this is known as the "rouge". It also makes no sense that if the ball is kicked out of bounds before it crosses the goal line, that an extra 10 yards are tacked on to the normal placement of the ball at the 20 yard line, we had an opponent's drive start at the opposing 20 yard, effectively making it a 30 yard penalty. No kick vioation in arena ball ever starts out past the 20 yard line. Finally, in the area of rules, the league needs to enforce the proper interpretation of the "jack in the box" concept with non-rushing linebacker, a.k.a. "illegal defense" and the concept of "stop motion" needs to be strictly defined. Much of this needs to be enforced via a referee's rules clinic.

Stop by and see us in the arena lobby when the season gets cranked up, we should be in about the same location this season. It is always good to see the fellow fans like yourself back in the building.
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gusher
Site Admin

Post by Gusher » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:06 pm

I like the UNO. It was first tabled at the SIFL owners meeting goinging into year 2. Reason owners were losing so many football on kick-offs kicked out of bounce to avoid a return man. Games would have over 50 balls lost. Sure those that caught the ball were happy but it was very boring. The kick return is exciting. Columbus pushed for the Uno and it looked like it would make a difference. Balls kicked out of play before the goal line would be spotted at the 25. However if balls were kicked out of the endzone they would be spotted at the 5. SO teams still lost balls but now it was out of the endzone. I liked the "RAY" rule that stated if a kick is OB teams line back up in same formation the recieving team will be given the ball at the goal line a whistle puts the ball in play. This gave an advantage to the recieve team (hang time a non factor) and we still had a kick return. UNO with rebound nets would be the best of rules sets IMO.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:18 pm

This is the one area where I think the arena game has is totally wrong, the arena game should have both the "rouge" and the "uno" rules in their kick off structure. With the arena game, the ball would only come out to the twenty when the nets are missed altogether to the right or left In the current implementation of the arena rule set, there is no real penalty for not returning the ball out of the endzone, the ball is spotted at the two yard line. The ball kicked into the slack net or kicked out of bounds through the back of the endzone comes out to the 5 yard line. If the kick returner knows that he is not going to be able to get out past the 2 yard line, they just run around in the endzone to make it look like they are attempting to get out of the end zone. If a point was awarded to the defense for tackling in the endzone, this would make every return an absolute must to get out of the endzone, even if it was by only a half of a yard. The uno rule makes sense to me with the rebound nets, without them, then the uno rule just seems like an all or nothing gimmick, it is one point or out at the twenty, every bit as bad as the recent NFL rule change that is resulting in all of those touchbacks.

BananaCat
Site Admin

Post by BananaCat » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:03 am

[quote=""IndoorExpert""]I said with indoor rules.[/quote]
Below is what you said. You wrote that you like to watch the AFL on television and that they have better coaching. It's a different game and the coaching is specific to that style, if you like that, like I said, more power to you. It's not for me. I'll take the top IFL coaches over the AFL coaches myself.
[quote=""IndoorExpert""]Thats the point!!! They all arent making any money, but at least I can see the AFL on television and I can see some better coaching.[/quote]
Indoor Football Forum .com

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook

BananaCat
Site Admin

Post by BananaCat » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:25 am

[quote=""VinnyTheViper""]Agreed, definitely prefer arena rules, look at all of the offensive records that were set in the SIFL during the 2011 season, almost every existing passing and receiving record was obliterated. In fact, many records established in 2011 also broke the league's career records that existed for the SIFL for the first two seasons. Give me offense anyday, besides we all know that Huntsville is an arena market, the one experience with the indoor game during the UIF's 2005 season was soundly rejected by the fan base, I do not believe that the Huntsville market would support another indoor effort.[/quote]
Ugh. Give me defense and a running game any day. You can have your Attention-deficit Football Leagues.

You keep saying Huntsville is an arena market, but that's your personal take. Exit322 proved in another discussion on this board that that isn't the case. Also, if a winning team in a good indoor league (think not SIFL/AIFL) was there, the fans would come. It was said the Green Bay Blizzard fans wouldn't support the indoor game, but they've provided a winning team (and marketed well) and have been just fine. Vice versa is also true, many indoor teams have gone arena and didn't do well, and the reason was they didn't win (or market very well). Bottom line is if you don't win at this level, you won't be around long. The Vipers were good at winning, and that's why the fans came in the end. I'm speaking of casual fans of course, each style (indoor/arena) has their diehards that refuse to support the other style, but that's a very small percentage of the fans that chat around tailgates and messageboards.

Other than our disagreements on that, I wish you a successful 2012 PIFL season...it definitely can't be worse than the 2011 SIFL (well it can, but it's not likely).

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook

BananaCat
Site Admin

Post by BananaCat » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:31 am

[quote=""Gusher""]I like the UNO. It was first tabled at the SIFL owners meeting goinging into year 2. Reason owners were losing so many football on kick-offs kicked out of bounce to avoid a return man. Games would have over 50 balls lost. Sure those that caught the ball were happy but it was very boring. The kick return is exciting. Columbus pushed for the Uno and it looked like it would make a difference. Balls kicked out of play before the goal line would be spotted at the 25. However if balls were kicked out of the endzone they would be spotted at the 5. SO teams still lost balls but now it was out of the endzone. I liked the "RAY" rule that stated if a kick is OB teams line back up in same formation the recieving team will be given the ball at the goal line a whistle puts the ball in play. This gave an advantage to the recieve team (hang time a non factor) and we still had a kick return. UNO with rebound nets would be the best of rules sets IMO.[/quote]
Don't like the nets.

Like the rouge rule (it's grown on me).

Uno, meh, don't like it that much, but it doesn't really bother me if it's used.

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:39 am

The IFL rouge rule would be something that I'd really like to see with the AFL nets. That'd create some wild exchanges (though when the average score is 60-50, what's a point?).

All the Huntsville UIF team proved was that Huntsville would only bring 3500-5000 fans to a half-assed effort (and that's what that was, though the team by year's end was a true contender; had they had that roster intact for all 15 games, they'd have been 11-4 or so and a top-3 seed). And that when the team started winning, the fans started coming back. I think the importance of "arena-style" is overstated; had the team put the effort the Vipers put in the first five years in 2005, the market wouldn't have noticed.
What are you doing here?

Gusher
Site Admin

Post by Gusher » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:20 am

Not sure about year 3 but year 1 & 2 the SIFL had the rouge in the rule book.

King Of The Jungle
Site Admin

Post by King Of The Jungle » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:06 pm

[/QUOTE]I traveled to one away game this past season when Richmond beat Harrisburg. The wife and I made a long trip out of it, going through Philly and spending the night in a seedy motel outside of Harrisburg. Ate a Pats King of Steak and Genos in the car simultaneously so I could decide for myself which one I liked better. We had fun.

If the Raiders do indeed go to this new league we won't be driving to an away game.[/QUOTE]
Man don't be like that! I will be coming to Richmond twice so at least you could come to the Jungle once. GA Fried Chicken and BBQ beats an old Philly anytime! Not to mention the game should be a classic.

King Of The Jungle
Site Admin

Post by King Of The Jungle » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:07 pm

[quote=""coachingubigr""]fyi. I preferred the pat's king of steak and the wife preferred geno's.

Funniest part. As i stood in line for the geno's sandwich, some local sped by in his car and yelled "geno's has rats".[/quote]

ps:
No rats

Return to “SIFL”