Welcome the Florida Stingray's

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
Gusher
Site Admin

Welcome the Florida Stingray's

Post by Gusher » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:17 pm

The Ft. Myer team has announced they have signed a letter of intent to play in the SIFL. I find it strange that the league has not put out a press release stating the same. I also find it strange that Mr. Hagar was not quoted in the article of how great this organization is and how this market is a perfect fit in our regional foot print the SIFL has worked so hard to establish. Could this have been a premature release by the team? Could the Stingray's be the new Rome GA team from last year who announced they were in but the league said we don't have a contract?

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:29 pm

[quote=""Gusher""]The Ft. Myer team has announced they have signed a letter of intent to play in the SIFL. I find it strange that the league has not put out a press release stating the same. I also find it strange that Mr. Hagar was not quoted in the article of how great this organization is and how this market is a perfect fit in our regional foot print the SIFL has worked so hard to establish. Could this have been a premature release by the team? Could the Stingray's be the new Rome GA team from last year who announced they were in but the league said we don't have a contract?[/quote]

Nothing the SIFL does at this point should surprise anyone.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:03 pm

I read and read of the optimism of some and the not so optimistic by others (including my own doubts), but where in anything have we seen progress. In another thread Vinny the Viper talks about change forced by some owners, yet we see no visible proof. I hear Hager is out, but others say no evidence of that and if he is out, who is running the ship, Tufford??????????????????? Yes Stingrays announce and not a darn thing from the league. So what has changed? Appears same ol crap. Sorry, but it just is.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:53 pm

Stingrays work toward return
League set; Civic Center likely home

The Florida Stingrays are closer to becoming a reality.

Stingrays CEO Jay Lawrence said the team signed a letter of intent with the Southern Indoor Football League and have been in discussions to play at the Lee Civic Center.

It would mark a return to the Civic Center for the Stingrays, who went 0-14 as a member of the American Indoor Football Association in 2008 while playing home games in the North Fort Myers facility.

Lawrence said the team had been negotiating with another league but he was more impressed with the SIFL's future plan.

"They're talking like two and maybe three teams from Florida could be in the league in the future," Lawrence said. "We had heard rumors of different teams coming and going, but when we looked at the teams they're subtracting and adding, we think it's going to make the league stronger."

The SIFL has teams in Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Lawrence said he'll submit 10 dates between March and June to the Civic Center in the next couple of weeks. When six are chosen as home games by the SIFL, the team and Civic Center will have an agreement.

"We're looking forward to games being played here," Civic Center manager Artie McIntyre said. "When he gives me the dates, we're advertising tickets."

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:08 pm

its been a LONG four yeas, but it sounds like they're finally back.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Founded 1908.
The First and Always The Finest

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:53 pm

But is there any evidence that they have the money to do this on a professional level? How does a team get awarded when it doesn't have an arena lease?

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:19 pm

[quote=""preeths""]But is there any evidence that they have the money to do this on a professional level? How does a team get awarded when it doesn't have an arena lease?[/quote]

This is the SIFL Paul, venue not needed, Houston remember?

sportznut
Site Admin

Post by sportznut » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:41 pm

hbucklers Announce New Owners
Posted on Thursday, 28 July 2011 16:24 by Sonny Wood
E-mail Print PDF

LAKE CHARLES LA. – Thom Hager, owner and president of the Southern Indoor Football League, introduced the new owners of the Louisiana Swashbucklers at a press conference today in Lake Charles. Hager and co-owner Brenda Hager had sold the team they founded in 2004 earlier this year. The new owners are Kyle Thorne and Chris Meaux. Thorne was unable to attend the conference. Meaux is both co-owner and general manager of the team.

Hager spoke of his seven year experience with the Swashbucklers. “It allowed Brenda and I the opportunity to bring family friendly entertainment to the people of Southwest Louisiana. We had challenges but we accomplished a lot as well. The Bucs made it to five consecutive championship games and won three titles. We were blessed to have had the chance to run the Swashbucklers. But the duties of running the Bucs and the SIFL meant making some changes. Chris and Kyle are outstanding and talented businessmen who will do a great job in guiding this team. I am honored that they are taking over. Our fans will have much to look forward to next year and beyond.”

Meaux also spoke before the media today. “I am looking forward to the future of the Swashbucklers, he said. “We will continue to provide this area with great indoor football action and entertainment for the family. This team will be active within the community. Our games for 2012 include a new variety of entertainment before and after each game. We will work at being a contender every season. The Bucs appreciate the support of our fans and we thank them. I am very excited to get started in preparing for next season.

Meaux is a native of Crowley and a former resident of Estherwood. He went to college at LSU and spent time working in Texas at a software firm. He and his family recently returned to Lake Charles.

Next season will be the eighth in Swashbucklers team history. They are the defending SIFL Western Conference champions.
Changes needed to be made, it looks like main focus is on league.... thats what i got out of it.... so he is not out
Changes.... they are a coming......

BananaCat
Site Admin

Post by BananaCat » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:00 pm

I also agree that teams should have a venue secured before being officially announced as part of a league, but that sure didn't stop Binghamton or the IFL either.
Indoor Football Forum .com

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:06 am

I am not convinced that this press release is totally legitimate. The Florida Stingrays were not in the list of teams that were supposed to be on the 2012 radar screen for the league, this annoucement comes out of left field. Since there was no reference to any league officials in the release, I would have to ask who were the league individuals that this group was talking to? I have been told that valid arena leases are required up front in 2012 and that does not mean at the time the schedule comes out. Something does not smell right here, smells like some more of the fly by night antics of Hager and crew.
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “SIFL”