Sifl & aifa announce merger release

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
BryceGlacier
Site Admin

Post by BryceGlacier » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:11 pm

Is Harrisburg really a bad market? Sure, it makes no sense to have the lease on the First Mariner Arena and keep a team in the PA Farm Show Complex. (No the best possible venue.) J.M. and the Stampede did little to no marketing here last year. I went to a few games last year, and when did a little bit of promotion early the year... (especially with one of the local radio stations tailgaiting there) people showed up at least more than they did any other time.

It's not just Harrisburg, but the potential should be there to draw from York and Lancaster, each between 30-40 minutes. If they can support two Atlantic League baseball teams in this market, how else can you explain Harrisburg failing other than ownership.

black dog
Site Admin

Post by black dog » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:26 pm

[quote=""BryceGlacier""]Is Harrisburg really a bad market? Sure, it makes no sense to have the lease on the First Mariner Arena and keep a team in the PA Farm Show Complex. (No the best possible venue.) J.M. and the Stampede did little to no marketing here last year. I went to a few games last year, and when did a little bit of promotion early the year... (especially with one of the local radio stations tailgaiting there) people showed up at least more than they did any other time.

It's not just Harrisburg, but the potential should be there to draw from York and Lancaster, each between 30-40 minutes. If they can support two Atlantic League baseball teams in this market, how else can you explain Harrisburg failing other than ownership.[/quote]
As a Stampede fan, I have commented on this several other times before and I will again say that Harrisburg can be a good market for indoor football.Like you said ownership, which is majority owned by JM, has done a very poor job promoting the team.The team has been around for two years and still most people in Harrisburg have no idea they exist. The other big problem was cost. You can't charge $8.00 to park and then have ticket prices start at$15.00 and end at $32.00.As far as the venue,the Farm Show Complex was doing some renovations at the end of the year, and I'm not sure exactly what improvements were made.I agree, not the best venue, but it has to be cheaper then First Mariner Arena.Believe it or not I sort of like the place because it's alot different then most indoor football venues.My hope is that now that the SIFL/Aifa merger is done JM will concentrate on improving the Harrisburg franchise since he will not have to worry about running a league.Lower ticket prices and do some promotion and then see what the attendance is like.

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:53 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]Excellent questions. Some I wanted to ask Commissioner Tufford, but he has decided not to answer my emails. I found the press release to be just what would be expected, lots of words painting a picture, but in reality not much content.[/quote]

As a sports industry professional, I found the press release satisfactory as far as an introduction goes.
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

BryceGlacier
Site Admin

Post by BryceGlacier » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:01 pm

[quote=""black dog""]As a Stampede fan, I have commented on this several other times before and I will again say that Harrisburg can be a good market for indoor football.Like you said ownership, which is majority owned by JM, has done a very poor job promoting the team.The team has been around for two years and still most people in Harrisburg have no idea they exist. The other big problem was cost. You can't charge $8.00 to park and then have ticket prices start at$15.00 and end at $32.00.As far as the venue,the Farm Show Complex was doing some renovations at the end of the year, and I'm not sure exactly what improvements were made.I agree, not the best venue, but it has to be cheaper then First Mariner Arena.Believe it or not I sort of like the place because it's alot different then most indoor football venues.My hope is that now that the SIFL/Aifa merger is done JM will concentrate on improving the Harrisburg franchise since he will not have to worry about running a league.Lower ticket prices and do some promotion and then see what the attendance is like.[/quote]

That's my hope, too. It wasn't a bad place at all to watch once you got used to the place. The only part of the renevations that I know of from the games late last year was they had removed the "endzone" seats. I'm sure they'd put new ones in there.

Also, I think the last two regular season games of the year, they didn't charge for parking. Concession priceses were VERY salty. A burger and chips and a drink came out to about $10 or $12 bucks. When I compare that to my York Revs experience... it was about 50% more.

eaglegene
Site Admin

Post by eaglegene » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:33 pm

[quote=""black dog""]As a Stampede fan, I have commented on this several other times before and I will again say that Harrisburg can be a good market for indoor football.Like you said ownership, which is majority owned by JM, has done a very poor job promoting the team.The team has been around for two years and still most people in Harrisburg have no idea they exist. The other big problem was cost. You can't charge $8.00 to park and then have ticket prices start at$15.00 and end at $32.00.As far as the venue,the Farm Show Complex was doing some renovations at the end of the year, and I'm not sure exactly what improvements were made.I agree, not the best venue, but it has to be cheaper then First Mariner Arena.Believe it or not I sort of like the place because it's alot different then most indoor football venues.My hope is that now that the SIFL/Aifa merger is done JM will concentrate on improving the Harrisburg franchise since he will not have to worry about running a league.Lower ticket prices and do some promotion and then see what the attendance is like.[/quote]

Sometimes teams gotta charge higher ticket prices cause the arenas themselves raise their rate. Not sure if thats the case there in Harrisburg but just a thought. I do agree with you though, too expensive. How many fans were in attendance for the last playoff game there last year vs Erie? I watched it on AIFAFANS & i dont think there were more than a few hundred.

Also, you fans need to start a booster club. Every little bit helps in getting the word out. Sometime we fans gotta take the reigns cause some of these teams dont get it, lol.

With the addition of Bernie im hopeful things could improve for the Stampede. He did a remarkable job for the Express & their attendance.

black dog
Site Admin

Post by black dog » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:34 pm

[quote=""eaglegene""]Sometimes teams gotta charge higher ticket prices cause the arenas themselves raise their rate. Not sure if thats the case there in Harrisburg but just a thought. I do agree with you though, too expensive. How many fans were in attendance for the last playoff game there last year vs Erie? I watched it on AIFAFANS & i dont think there were more than a few hundred.

Also, you fans need to start a booster club. Every little bit helps in getting the word out. Sometime we fans gotta take the reigns cause some of these teams dont get it, lol.

With the addition of Bernie im hopeful things could improve for the Stampede. He did a remarkable job for the Express & their attendance.[/quote]

You're right there were only a couple of humdred fans at the playoff game, and it's a shame because they missed an exciting game. The poor attendance of that game had alot to do with the fact that they held it on the Friday night of 4th of July weekend. Very poor scheduling by the league if you ask me.

eaglegene
Site Admin

Post by eaglegene » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:55 pm

[quote=""black dog""]You're right there were only a couple of humdred fans at the playoff game, and it's a shame because they missed an exciting game. The poor attendance of that game had alot to do with the fact that they held it on the Friday night of 4th of July weekend. Very poor scheduling by the league if you ask me.[/quote]

I totally agree. Poor scheduling & it was a great game. You guys will get to battle it out with Erie for atleast one more season.

storm2010
Site Admin

Post by storm2010 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:39 am

[quote=""black dog""]You're right there were only a couple of humdred fans at the playoff game, and it's a shame because they missed an exciting game. The poor attendance of that game had alot to do with the fact that they held it on the Friday night of 4th of July weekend. Very poor scheduling by the league if you ask me.[/quote]

Sioux Falls drew 4200 vs Chicago in a 2nd round play-off game over the same weekend in 2010. Wichita also drew 4000+ vs Rochester! Sorry guys, its not the weekend that's the problem..

black dog
Site Admin

Post by black dog » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:19 pm

[quote=""storm2010""]Sioux Falls drew 4200 vs Chicago in a 2nd round play-off game over the same weekend in 2010. Wichita also drew 4000+ vs Rochester! Sorry guys, its not the weekend that's the problem..[/quote]

Good for those teams, but it doesn't change that the poor attendance had alot to do with holding the game on a Friday night at 7:00pm on 4th of July weekend. People getting out of work and leaving town for the holiday weekend.Not to mention every other game in the season was held on a Sat night.Harrisburg's attendance is not great to begin with, but that by far was the fewest fans they drew all year.

Bouncer_Texxx
Site Admin

Post by Bouncer_Texxx » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:31 am

Wichita's playoff game that weekend was Friday night 7:05 kickoff that weekend with every other game was on a Saturday. It's not the weekend that is the problem it's the marketing.

Return to “SIFL”