SIFL Denies Rome Ownership Group

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:32 pm

I have a question. Did Rome or the SIFL release anything prior to the releases saying they were denied admission alluding to them being accepted?

tony-o
Site Admin

Post by tony-o » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:53 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]I have a question. Did Rome or the SIFL release anything prior to the releases saying they were denied admission alluding to them being accepted?[/quote]

A press release was scheduled in Rome for the Thursday after this release. I'm guessing that had something to do with it.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:56 pm

[quote=""Minor League Mania""]I agree. This sends a message to potential owners that not just anyone is going to be let in this year (ex Greenville). By making it public it sends a message to the rest of the league. I don’t think fans in Rome will be upset if they do eventually get a team. For Rome this was only two articles in the local paper on the very large section. Behind high school football and Rome Braves baseball. I think Rome will have a team at some point, but looks like just not this season. Maybe the owners could afford the fees if they could get a better deal from the arena. Teams really benefit when they are able to share concessions and parking fees. What else is it being used for? (Very small building for indoor football). I think Macon and Augusta would be better arenas in Georgia anyway.[/quote]
If we had a unified minor-league indoor football system (with each team as an Arena League affiliate), that PR would probably get Thom fined at least $10k.
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:46 am

If we had a unified system ... a lot of things would happen and a lot of things wouldn't.

That's all I got ... oh yeah, Morris Day and the Time is the greatest F--- band of all time.
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:31 pm

[quote=""Minor League Man""]If we had a unified minor-league indoor football system (with each team as an Arena League affiliate), that PR would probably get Thom fined at least $10k.[/quote]

I am not seeing where the SIFL looks bad at this. What would people think if the release just said "Rome was denied entry to the SIFL". Everyone would ask questions, rumors would fly as to why and people would start to snoop around and try to find out why. It would get out eventually anyway. Even pro teams dont hide things like this. When expansion comes up in major league sports, several teams are mentioned and only a few make it. We know what the challenges there are for a certain city whether they make it or not. An example is Washington Nationals had the dispute over distance with Baltimore. Could have cost the Nationals their franchise if not worked out in the public by MLB. I think the SIFL took a bunch of heat over the Greenville situation and lack of public statements on it. New management may have said "lets put it all out in the open".

Gene Duryea
Site Admin

Post by Gene Duryea » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:32 am

If an organization like the SIFL goes to the trouble of publicly announcing that Group XYZ has been denied a membership in their league, this usually means that something like the following has happened.

1. XYZ had been in a significant period of negotiation with the league

2. XYZ was unable to meet certain standards

3. XYZ was informed (a few weeks ago) that they needed to take a step back, rework their business model and possibly try to come in the following year.

4. Instead of taking that step back (and making its own public announcement that it was focusing on 2012 in order to bring the best possible plan to the table) XYZ continued to proceed as though things were still go for 2011.

5. After advising XYZ (for at least the second time) that 2011 was no longer on the table for them ... And after coming to the conclusion that XYZ was not going to take the friendly hint ... The League had no choice but to publicly pull the rug out from under them.

In other words ... The Franchise Organizers had a clear opportunity to bow out gracefully. They ignored that opportunity and gave the League no choice but to shoot them down.

11HP20
Site Admin

Post by 11HP20 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:18 pm

[quote=""daytonadan""]If we had a unified system ... a lot of things would happen and a lot of things wouldn't.

That's all I got ... oh yeah, Morris Day and the Time is the greatest F--- band of all time.[/quote]

Not knowing the entire situation I find it refreshing to have some openness and honesty. Having been a fan of the Show Me Believers I enjoy honesty from a league. The league the Believers where in wasn't known for that.

I gotta love the View Askewniverse reference. Snoochie boochies Dan. Snoochie boochies indeed sir.
Life is funny, unless you're too stupid to get the joke.

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:47 pm

I've based my whole life off Morris Day -- I'm just a smoooooth pimp who loves the uh, ladies....
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

Return to “SIFL”