SIFL Denies Rome Ownership Group

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
Minor League Man
Site Admin

SIFL Denies Rome Ownership Group

Post by Minor League Man » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:30 pm

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=4083001

Can you say IFL South? (Columbus, Augusta, Macon, and a few Florida teams)
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:34 pm

I could, but that ain't gonna happen MLM.

Tommy the Poacher's strength isn't the south
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

ronniern
Site Admin

Post by ronniern » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:44 pm

good deal,we don't need anymore greenvilles

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:00 am

Whatever happened to good old fashioned TACT. If you approve a city, announce it-if you deny it, KEEP YOUR DAMN MOUTH SHUT.
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:10 am

As a professional PR person, I think the SIFL did the right thing by announcing the Rome situation.

It sends a message that the SIFL is trying to upgrade its business proceedings to avoid another Greenville and I'm sure there's half a dozen other ulterior motives ... and it keeps us message board trolls informed.

Dang good PR. Dang good.
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

tony-o
Site Admin

Post by tony-o » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:52 am

I was wondering why they announced that. Usually leagues don't announce when they deny a team's application. What's really odd about this is that the title makes it sound like they'd given them the OK but were taking it back.

Anyways, it is good to know the league is being more selective. Hopefully Savannah will still get a team though.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:37 am

They answered back (but never really address the $$$ situation). They are like "boo, hoo. Mommy, the SIFL is being mean to us."

http://www.romenews-tribune.com/view/fu ... lead_story

If they can't cut the SIFL, there's no chance in the lower regions they will wind up in the IFL. Maybe the latest AH venture would.

never was
Site Admin

Post by never was » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:27 am

[quote=""daytonadan""]As a professional PR person, I think the SIFL did the right thing by announcing the Rome situation.

It sends a message that the SIFL is trying to upgrade its business proceedings to avoid another Greenville and I'm sure there's half a dozen other ulterior motives ... and it keeps us message board trolls informed.

Dang good PR. Dang good.[/quote]

DDan, are you serious?

What is good about this PR, other than serving the egos of a couple of folks?

1. You announce a market and then say...pysch
2. You tell everyone that the owner of Rome doesn't have the money he said he did. Very demeaning to him.
3. You also piss off potential future fans (in what I believe is a solid market) by making their local folks looks stupid
4. "Good Dang PR" does not fill the message boards - "Bad Dang PR" does!

I agree with others - what credibility do you have when you announce a market and then change your mind? Now, I would not want to see another GVL, so in the big picture it is probably good that they don't get started if they can't finish.

Sorry LionsFan for being negative - I am seeing a therapist to be more perfect - just hasnt' taken yet!

just sayin...

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:49 am

In the bad ole days of, say, the NIFL, this might have been seen as dirty pool, but the bright side is if an underfunded group goes into one town, and a big stink like this is raised, it makes it easier for the next town not to get burned.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:18 pm

I agree. This sends a message to potential owners that not just anyone is going to be let in this year (ex Greenville). By making it public it sends a message to the rest of the league. I don’t think fans in Rome will be upset if they do eventually get a team. For Rome this was only two articles in the local paper on the very large section. Behind high school football and Rome Braves baseball. I think Rome will have a team at some point, but looks like just not this season. Maybe the owners could afford the fees if they could get a better deal from the arena. Teams really benefit when they are able to share concessions and parking fees. What else is it being used for? (Very small building for indoor football). I think Macon and Augusta would be better arenas in Georgia anyway.

Return to “SIFL”