Expansion

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
BUCKLERSWASH
Site Admin

Expansion

Post by BUCKLERSWASH » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:32 pm

Word is that some old Intense teams could be coming to the SIFL. And the league could be 10 teams next year. And any Expansions after that would be small and over many years. I think the max would be 16 but 12 would be great.

I would love to see Corpus Christi back in the same league. along with teams in Beaumont / Alexandria / Huntsville (hint, hint) / Frisco / Midland and Monroe

mwhite212
Site Admin

Post by mwhite212 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:42 pm

I would really like to see a team in Frisco.

JROB
Site Admin

Post by JROB » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Odessa will have the Roughnecks, and Midland will definatley have a team, The West Texas Rustlers.

mwhite212
Site Admin

Post by mwhite212 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:14 pm

That's great about the Roughnecks. Was there an official press release on it yet?

phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:04 pm

I have been given full assurance by Thom Hager that the SIFL has no intention of placing a team in Midland. If the WT Rustlers play next season, it won't be in the SIFL. Thom Hager and I have a good business relationship and I take him to be a man of his word.

sportznut
Site Admin

Post by sportznut » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:53 pm

The WT team has not started any expansion process with the SIFL, and we do not expect them too
Changes.... they are a coming......

BUCKLERSWASH
Site Admin

Post by BUCKLERSWASH » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:38 am

No team in west texas has been awarded at this time

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:40 am

Rumors are ther could be 20-25 ownership groups attending the offseason league meetings with interest in joining the SIFL. No, all won't join the league next season for one reason or another but the interest is spreading.

trifecta
Site Admin

Post by trifecta » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:31 am

20-25 prospective ownership groups? Come ON...Are you serious?

Good news if true. Hagar must be a "Feste-like" salesman Very hard to believe.

Riddle me this....If Austin is the "Gem" of the SIFL and they get 1100 people on a FREE ticket give away night AND have a long list on "Non" cash sponsors....What is remotely attractive about ownership in the SIFL?

You mention expansion.....Will ALL the inaugural season teams make it to year two? Two of the the first 6 teams did not even make it to the end of the first season.

Big Easy
Site Admin

Post by Big Easy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:40 am

[quote=""trifecta""]20-25 prospective ownership groups? Come ON...Are you serious?[/quote]

I'm a prospective lottery winner. I bought a ticket once. :p

Interest and feasability/ability are very different things. I'm sure they may have 25 people interested, but I'd be surprised if they had 1 or 2 solid groups emerge from that field. It's very hard to make these teams work. Before the season started I met with and really liked the people who tried to make the Pirates work. I have a lot of respect for them as people and wish things could have worked out better for them. If being nice guys were the prerequisite, they would have been very successful. Unfortunately it takes more than that. After spending a little time with them I quickly realized that they were in for tough times. Besides hating the facility they choose to play in, realizing the rude awakening they were about to get, I choose not to get involved as a fan or helping hand.

If I were the SIFL, I would concentrate on getting 4-6 solid teams before throwing a bunch of crap against the wall and hoping some of it sticks. If more than 2 groups emerge from that alleged group of 25, I'd be very concerned if I were the SIFL. Just getting 4-5 teams to make it through this season has been enough of a challenge. I think adding a large number next season could prove more detrimental than helpful.
Last edited by Big Easy on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
If integrity is missing, so are you.

Return to “SIFL”