Turfcats game rescheduled??

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Sun May 31, 2009 8:24 pm

[quote=""fred1965""]Trifecta and Indoor Football Fan just don't like the SIFL, but then again, the SIFL have given them a lot of ammunition the past three weeks.

I think these guys are going to be okay in the long run. If they can handle the past three weeks, they can handle anything.[/quote]

So it's our fault the SIFL has had forfeits, cancelled games, teams leaving games early, teams being kicked out of the league, shutouts/blowouts, teams without adequate arenas, and semi pro replacement teams all midway through the season with only a six team league?

fred1965
Site Admin

Post by fred1965 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:50 pm

Didn't say it was your fault ... The two of you seemed focused on the SIFL when all the leagues area having their share of problems.

El Gato Loco
Site Admin

Post by El Gato Loco » Sun May 31, 2009 8:58 pm

Oh, save it kadams. If the SIFL claims to be anything better than typical indoor football, and has standards and guidelines for the arenas that their teams play in, they need to actually ENFORCE those rules and penalize those teams that can't get their act together. Half-assing it is how otherwise good teams and leagues fail. And to say that Texas has been half-assing it is giving them too much credit.

What's worse is that the SIFL knew this was bad, and let it go on just because they didn't want another black mark on the league after last week. They put the status of the league ahead of player safety concerns. The league's own statement spells it out - "We've rolled the dice twice at Kicks and gotten lucky." LUCKY? Then you've got Hager's own comments - "This incident is the result of us not heeding our own counsel of settling for less than ideal situations for the sake of convenience. It’s on us."

Certainly sounds like the league knew better to me. Too bad it took until game time to figure that out instead of earlier in the week when it should have been done.

fred1965
Site Admin

Post by fred1965 » Sun May 31, 2009 9:34 pm

They handled the Florida Kings mess and the first Pirates-Turfcats mess pretty good. Let's see how they salvage this one.

trifecta
Site Admin

Post by trifecta » Sun May 31, 2009 10:13 pm

Are league officials FULL TIME paid positions OR is this a second job for them?

Here is the BIG question....

It would seem to me that with such a small number of teams all within a few hours of each other it would make sense that ALL League officials would be in attendance at their ONLY Saturday Night game. Who was there?

I don't know which is worse.....

League officials in attendance at Kicks before the game OR

League officials NOT in attendance at Kicks before the game.

I could understand if travel constraits could prevent League officials from being at the Only game on Saturday night but with everything that has gone on in the last few weeks you would think it would be ALL HANDS ON DECK!

I am critical because it was the Austin GM that came to town touting how DIFFERENT the SIFL was going to be from the failed teams of the past. He was right about one thing.... It is different alright.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:15 am

Wow, guys I'm touched. Who woulda thunk you guys would miss me so much.
I'm getting all teary eyed, hold on whilst I grabs a tissue. Honkbfftwweehonk, ahh much better now.

I was under the inpression many of you felt I came here too often, posted too much, and was too long winded. But to my surprise here y'all are begging for more.

The wife and I have been together a long time, maybe even longer than some youngsters have been around. Her birthday is tomorrow so I planned a weekend. I sent the kids off to friends and decided to spend some quality time with the love of my life.

You guys that have been married awhile or have kids know how difficult it can be to get quality time alone. Sometimes we fall into a routine and don't let our loved ones know how important they are, so I took some action.

I really didn't think it would be a big deal, but hey, I missed all of you guys too. Come over here, GROUP HUG! - aHHHHMMMMPPPPFFFF, there, I feel better already. :D

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:28 am

How did I know this thread would be here - lol, and what the various posters would have to say. Carnac would be proud.

So many things do address, how to address them? I could go through every single post, line by line, but Trifecta doesn't really like that approach. Maybe I should just address poster, by poster? Or maybe just an overview and let you respond first, decisions, decisions. There is one post I would like to address individually, but maybe I should leave that for the end, hmmm.

There do seem to be a few sensible guys here, which is pretty impressive.
Although they may ruin our reputation.

Indoor fan, I've seen you post other places, you seem knowledgable and typically don't go off the deep end with harsh off the wall stuff, but Wow!

Go to the main page and check out all of the sports and forums available, would you say all of them can be classified as top notch? Heck, even the ABA has detractors saying they're Bush league - lol

Why does the new team coming to Austin next week make anything worse? And worse than what? I'm confused on that one. Do you really think the team coming in would cause a significant shrinkage of attendance? The people that have been showing up are called fans, it's not like we had an arena full of passer by's that just stumbled in. They want to watch the sport and they want to see their team, I wouldn't expect a huge difference in numbers either way.

Hold on, I'm only allowed a certain number of characters per post - lol

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:44 am

Indoor fan, you say, "From what I understand the Texas arena's perfectly safe", shows that you don't really know. Who was your source for this, if you don't mind me asking.

You go on to say, "I would think the Turfcats GM was aware of the arena the Pirates were playing in, well before the game," and yes, he had previously lived in the Houston area.

He has been a part of numerous teams, but none had ever played at Kick's so maybe he has never been in that facility. Is it the job of each teams GM to go inspect venues before their games? I have been in the building before, once when my daughters competition cheerleading team was in Houston for nationals they had rented the place for practice. I was amazed how small it is and in my opinion isn't suitable for youth soccer, let alone a professional football team.

What is it so far not counting me, 7 different posters in the thread? 3 are very negative while the other 4 seem to get it. They haven't homered up, but understand the circumstances of business in a poor economy, the history of the 50 yard game and it's leagues. All of their thoughts aren't positive, but on a perspective of reality.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:54 am

This brings me to my old friend Trifecta, I still can't get a handle on you.
I know, you've said from day one that you're a fan, and are willing to give them a chance. You've told us how tainted your view of the sport is because of the teams that have gone through the Austin area. I kept trying to believe you, you keep coming back for more.

I've been told the Twitter message was only up for less than 10 minutes, either you really do care and were anxiously awaiting kickoff or it was just dumb luck that you saw it. You keep coming back here, it would seem there can only be two reasons, you are a fan trying to follow along or a Troll.

You've always been negative, and I tried to believe that maybe you're just a pessimist by nature. But even those people occasionaly have something good to say. To say the least, you've got me baffled.

Let me be honest, I do know the facts. I have been debriefed by several people, so I got different perspectives of what actually happened, and what is embellishments running through the rumor mill. This is a very difficult situation for all involved and yes, the game not being played was disappointing. It may be a black eye on the league and the Turfcats, but it's not a knock out blow.

Oops, we've got to move to the next post........................

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:13 am

Come on guys, you knew I was long winded before you started asking questions and hurling insults - lol

Can someone give me a definition of "Bush League"? I thought it originated from "Minor League", did any of you have the impression any 50 yard league was "Major." The AFL was the PREMIER 50 yard league no matter what the IFL PR office tells you, and thinking they were the 5th Major league is what brought them done.

Let's look at some history, the NFL in it's infancy had problems with teams and their owners, players, coaches, and yes even some venues. Some of you may even be old enough to remember a lockout. They finished the season with replacement players. So even the best, and clearly they are, have difficult situations to work through.

Does anyone remember the NHL's problems? I know, some of you don't consider them a "Major" League either - lol. Lord knows that MLB and the NBA has never struggled with any of these problems.

Trifecta will say these are excuses, nope, it's reality. Does it excuse the problems the SIFL has endured, no. The negative posters have been that way from the beginning, that means you expected problems, then why do you act surprised?

All of the successful people I know have gone through more than one failure, it's a fact of life. does that mean you give up when things become difficult?
Maybe it means you should never try, but then it's garunteed to not find success.

Did the league start a year too early, should they have waited until next season. I've wondered that myself. Hopefully the economy will be better, after all the sport runs on discretionary income. Would better teams have been in place with more time, probably. Would the Kings and Pirates be in better shape if they waited another year, probably. Ill-advised or not, I know the reasons for not waiting another year and understand why. I'd rather not go into those detaile either, it doesn't matter now.

Some like to throw out the name "IFL", that makes me chuckle. They've got their own concerns to deal with but the commish publically bashes the SIFL and af2, that's cute - lol. They've got some serious infighting, many still play the UIF vs Intense league BS instead of working to unite them into one entity.
Expect some big move come the off season.

Return to “SIFL”