Mudbugs going for Player of the Week

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
mavlax20
Site Admin

Post by mavlax20 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:28 am

Did Ron Oswalt or anyone with the Turfcats organization come out and accuse a member of another organization of flat out cheating (although it is just a poll, not a game)...yeah, I didn't think so. The mudbugs staff member came out and went straight towards accusing Oswalt of cheating and pulling all the tricks in the book just to win a player of the week poll.

I can tell you one thing, I assume that the GM of a football team has much better things to do with his time than worry about a player of the week poll, although it is nice whenever a player from your team does win.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Tue May 12, 2009 12:46 am

[quote=""fred1965""]You're getting on Lexie's and Dan's case ... but right under that release is a release from Austin about the GM shaving his head. Your guy seems to do as much self-promoting as he does for the team. What's the differerance?

Caballo, you need to chill out. Dan Ryan is one the best PR people in the business and he know what he's doing. He handled the worst day in the sport's history when the Daytona Beach player died and has done a lot for the sport. If you're going to call him out, do it over something that really matters.[/quote]
Well, I probably was too hard on Lexie. When I met her in austin she seemed very nice. It seems her statements were taken out of context by your Guru and he's the one that concocted this cheap PR stunt.

If you don't understand the difference i'm not sure i can help, but you know me, I'll try. PR stunt- make a bet, if you lose you shave YOUR, it affects no one but yourself.

You and Dan have both said it doesn't matter, yet it mattered to write about?
She was upset the person she wanted to win lost. She cried about and Dan took it public. She accused another front office of somrthing she felt was wrong, probably in a private conversation. Dan is the one that made it an issue and thought it was cute, Dan was the one that used it as a cheap PR story.

Although it's sad when a player dies, I doubt it was the worst day in sports history. It's not the first time an Indoor Football player has died - on the field, #76 Al Lucas comes to mind. If you just go by public opinion Dale Earnhart dying on TV was a much worse day in sports history. I'm not belittling the event you speak of, I just think you're using it wrongfully in an attempt to prove your point.

Everyone makes mistakes. I don't understand people always saying "Chill out", or "it's meaningless." First off, I'm not hot. This is a message board where people discuss things and give their opinions. I disagree with his opinion and feel it sheds a childish light on the league and teams.

I wouldn't say this came from the mind of "one of the Best in PR."
Too many that follow this sport are clueless to the big picture. there are not enough die hard fans to support the 50 yard game. If you want to sell more tickets or charge more for sponsorship/advertising you need more butts in seats to see it. This means you need to attract the casual fans looking for a good value on their entertainment dollar. Being a slow economy also hurts as discretionary income is down.

So yes, it is about the perception of the masses and the casual fans.
Building childish rivalries and pulling childish stunts as he sits back and chuckles isn't getting the job done. You get to choose how you feel and I get to choose how i feel. I'm not trying to send him to prison over it.
I'm a believer that you stand up for what you believe, big or small, and I believe he was wrong. You don't, great. Maybe you'd like to use my ticket this week because I' won't be attending. This kind of PR turns me off and there are more important things besides a nights worth of entertainment.
So much for bringing in new fans, an old one will be sitting this one out.

phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:02 am

You people need to cut CB some slack here. Since the Sioux Falls situation has died off and just about everyone has moved on from that, he and Exit322 are in need of some new material to whine and b!tch about.

In two weeks it'll be something different.

MUDBUG1
Site Admin

ok enough

Post by MUDBUG1 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:11 am

lets get back to football .

MUDBUG1
Site Admin

an apology

Post by MUDBUG1 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:16 am

The poster who has said lets get back to football has been sacked
The football gods apoligize.

MUDBUG1
Site Admin

again

Post by MUDBUG1 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:18 am

it has been brought to our attention that the poster responding about the sacking of the original post has been sacked.

In two weeks it'll be something completely different.

please carry on

the three llamas
Knights of Ne
Last edited by MUDBUG1 on Tue May 12, 2009 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Tue May 12, 2009 3:47 am

[quote=""phydeaux72""]You people need to cut CB some slack here. Since the Sioux Falls situation has died off and just about everyone has moved on from that, he and Exit322 are in need of some new material to whine and b!tch about.

In two weeks it'll be something different.[/quote]
You're wrong, you were upset because I spoke out against your league. You thought I was biased, but in truth It doesn't matter the league or subject. Maybe I'm just too honest for you. I feel a league shouldn't smack their teams and front offices. if it's dirty laundry it should be kept in house. This was worse, it was just a PR stunt by a lazy PR guy.

You don't like Exit and I just happened to agree with him on this subject. Plus you can't stand anyone that was associated with or enjoys Arenaball. I keep forgetting this isn't a fan forum.
It's a forum for insecure front office people and owners that enjoy dissing the fans, you know, the customers.
notice my threads get the most views, I seem to keep the pop-ups and advertising hits going. preeths must be calling me CHA-CHING!

Silly me, I feel they deserve each others respect, not WWE PR.
Here's what I posted on the Swashbucklers forum before this thread was ever started, I guess you guys feel respect is over rated.

Do something worthy and I just might even praise you to.

Swashbucklers have Class

I know this weekends loss to the Austin Turfcats was a difficult one. The `Bucs are accustomed to winning and being the franchise to for others to aspire to.

I'm fortunate to be able to go behind the scenes and meet everyone, I get to be a fly on the wall as things go on that the people in the stands are unaware of.

From the players, the coaches, and the front office staff that traveled to Austin I say thank you. All of you were very professional and respectful of our house and family.
There's a reason your franchise is the cream of the crop, and it goes much deeper than the wins on the field.

I was dogging John Paul Jones all night and teasing him about the nickname Fluffy - lol - my megaphone helped me stay in his ear. I've know for a long time that's he's a dominating player, but I just learened what type of a team leader is he. I followed him out the door to the locker room after the game and got to see his leadership skills in action. He was very dissappointed to say the least and let his team mates know what was up. He wants the mistakes fixed and will definitely push his team mates to improve.

I had several conversations with Brandon Thomas as well, ask him if the dent in his forehead still hurts from that little guy (Darrick Wallace) drilling him coming out of the high motion - lol. The players had fun with the crowd and did it with class.

No doubt this type of behavior comes from the tutoring of Coach Lee and GM Richard Dow, I spoke with both of them also after the game. It can be difficult offering congratulations after a hard fought game but these guys had nothing but praise for us.

I let them know that here in Austin we've got nothing but respect for the entire Swashbucklers franchise and they are who we look up to in our inaugural season, both on and off the field. I met Mr Hager at our opening game, and was hoping to see him this week also. All props go back to him.

Mr Hager, thank you for the reputation you've helped build for the sport itself and for having the forsight to start the SIFL.

This was a great day in our young history, and none of it would have been possible without the years of hard work by Mr hager and his franchise. Props to all of you!

Last edited by Caballo Diablo on Tue May 12, 2009 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

sportznut
Site Admin

Post by sportznut » Tue May 12, 2009 4:03 am

You are still the best!!

We would have been sitting right with you a few years back for sure!
Changes.... they are a coming......

fred1965
Site Admin

Post by fred1965 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:35 am

I read that quote and it says ``everything short'' of stuff the ballot box. So she didn't really accuse Ron of cheating.

But here's my final two cents:

1) The SIFL is trying differate ways to generate some web traffic. Looks like it worked with other 400 votes. Everyone has different opinions

2) I go on the SIFL web site and there's a new article every day. Same with Austin. That's more than what I can say for practically all the other leagues.

3) This whole thing is a minor incident at best. If it happens again, then the whole issue needs to be addressed ... even allowing a fan vote to determine the Player Of The Week.

I think Dan, Lexie, Ron Oswalt and Caballo Diablo should commended for their support and contributions to the sport. Can we agree on that?

mwhite212
Site Admin

Post by mwhite212 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:58 pm

Well, honestly, can't you see the frustration of the Mudbugs? Here they are sitting on top of the league and they are still playing second fiddle to the 'Bucs and the Cats. They beat the Cats already, and I believe next week will be a VERY competitive contest. The head coach, John Fourcade, has quite a resume and he has some pretty good talent on his team. I think perhaps they feel they are being dismissed because the Cats and the 'Bucs have more resources chasing after them. Hell, the Mudbugs even drew a bigger crowd than the Cats...but Lafayette is a smaller town than Austin with a bit less to do I suppose. :)

And one bad thing about print....we have no idea the tone or inflection the statement "short of stuffing the ballot box" was made with. Was he smirking when he said it? Was it said toungue-in-cheek? I take it as he was trying to galvanize the Mudbugs fans into action by creating a bit of rivalry. It's just showman antics. And don't delude yourself into thinkng this league will have any more or less drama than any other...including the NFL. For God's sake, one of the NFL players just killed another human being whil under the influence a few months bak. . . that's hardly an ideal to live up to, no?

And as far as being petty....sports is in itself petty. It's a game and pastime that folks sometimes take entirely too seriously.

Return to “SIFL”