Austin turfcats

The Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) forum
Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:36 pm

Feb. 3, 2009
Turfcats deliver old fashion way to keep in touch

Austin, TX – The newest entertainment venue in Austin is delivering an old fashion way for fans to keep in touch. The Austin Turfcats are disturbing more than 20,000 postcards to area businesses.

Fans of the new indoor arena team can now share their thoughts and feelings with friends and family around the country in a personal way for free.

“The postcards are just one of the ways we are trying to get the word out about the team,” said Turfcats Vice-President/General Manager Ronald Oswalt. “Most people would prefer to get a postcard in the mail than a bill, and we wanted to provide the opportunity to spread some cheer to our fans.”

The postcards, which contain the team’s logo and 2009 season schedule, will be available soon. For a list of local businesses providing the free postcards, check the team’s Web site in the next week at http://www.turfcats.com.

The postcards were designed by graphic artist Aaron Ortega of Sparknet Creative in San Marcos, Texas.

Great locations are still available for the 2009 season! Act now to reserve the best seats. Call a Season Sales Representative today at 866-969-8228 (TCAT) to reserve your seats today. The Austin Turfcats are committed to being a premier team in the Southern Indoor Football League and being involved in the community for which we serve.

For more information or get photos for media outlets or to get your 2009 Austin Turfcats season tickets, contact the Turfcats office at (866) 969-8228 (TCAT) or by electronic mail at roswalt@turfcats.com

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:00 am

Blake Accepts Coaching Position With Turfcats
February 5, 2009 - Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL) Austin Turfcats

Austin, TX - The Austin Turfcats hired Bryan Blake as an assistant coach today. Blake brings extensive experience both on and off the field to the Austin Turfcats.

"It's great to have this opportunity to continue to be apart of the extreme excitement of indoor football. From the very first day I played the game, I have been hooked. I look forward to being a part of the Austin Turfcats organization, and the new Southern Indoor Football League," Blake said.

Blake's contract becomes effective February 5th, with a wealth of experience in nearly every level of football, Blake expects the team to compete for a playoff spot in year one of the new franchise.

"With the amount of talent in the Austin area, and the knowledge of our coaching staff, I see no reason why the Turfcats can't compete for the SIFL Championship this year," Blake said.

Blake has 12 years of Indoor and Arena football experience, five of which coming as a player for the Lake Charles Landsharks, LaCrosse River Rats, Louisiana Bayou Beasts and the Texas Bullets of the National Indoor Football League.

"Oswalt has assembled a top notch staff in Austin and I am excited to be a Turfcat and I can't wait for the season to start," Blake said.

As a football staff member he has worked with the Beaumont Drillers, Lubbock Gunslingers, and Katy Copperheads as General Manager, Head Coach, and Director of Football Operations. He has also served these roles with the Texas Copperheads of the af2 from the greater Houston area.

Blake currently resides in Katy, Texas with his wife, Catherine and their two kids. He also coaches and teaches at Baytown Lee High School.

Great locations are still available for the 2009 season! Act now to reserve the best seats. Call a Season Sales Representative today at 866-969-TCAT (822 8) to reserve your seats today. The Austin Turfcats are committed to being a premier team in the Southern Indoor Football League and being involved in the community for which we serve.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:18 pm

February 9, 2009
Turfcats Announce Second Free Agent Tryout

Austin –The Austin Turfcats of the Southern Indoor Football League have scheduled a second free agent tryout camp on Saturday, February 21, 2009. The tryout camp will be held at Hutto High School in Hutto, Texas. The camp will be under the direction of Turfcats Head Coach Chris Duliban and his coaching staff.

Players from previous tryout are encouraged to attend this tryout as well as the first tryout.

The format will consist of a variety of physical tests, including the 40 yard dash, 15 yard shuttle, 200 yard shuttle and the standing long jump. Participants will be timed and measured in all of these events. After an evaluation of each participant’s times and scores, the group will be reduced to a number of individuals who will be asked to participate in select physical drills. Another evaluation will leave the remaining to participate in skill drills which are related to Indoor Football. There will not be any contact drills.

The cost of the camp is $50 cash per individual. Cash Only. Registration will begin promptly at 9:00 am until 10:00 am. A thirty minute period of supervised warm-up drills will follow. Testing will begin at 10:30 am.

The camp is open to anyone who has completed their college eligibility and is physically able to perform the drills. A waiver and release form will be signed by all participants stating that they are physically able to participate and not hold the Austin Turfcats liable for any injury suffered during the camp.

Participants need to provide their own workout attire. Shorts and t-shirts along with turf or tennis shoes are recommended for the camps. Rubber molded football cleats no longer than one half inch will be permitted for tryouts. Metal football cleats are absolutely forbidden and you will not be allowed to participate. Participation in the free-agent camp is not an offer of employment but merely an evaluation. The Austin Turfcats are not responsible for travel or lodging expenses. Food will not be provided.

If you have any questions, please contact the Austin Turfcats General Manager Ronald Oswalt at roswalt@turfcats.com.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:29 pm

February 8, 2009
Turfcats Attend SIFL Winter Meetings In Bayou City

Houston, TX – The Austin Turfcats attended meetings this weekend at the Hilton Americas in downtown Houston, Texas. Located in the heart of downtown Houston, Hilton Americas-Houston hotel, the city's largest hotel, offered the Southern Indoor Football League the unbeatable choice of the best location in the city of Houston.

Thom Hagar, Southern Indoor Football League President said, “I am so excited about the progress being made here, all markets are stabilized and moving forward. We are thrilled about our business model we have for indoor football and the involvement of the Austin Turfcats in that process.”

All teams from Louisiana, Texas, Acadiana, Florida, Houma and Austin were in attendance. The Turfcats were represented by Chris Duliban, Ronald Oswalt, Bryan Blake, Joe Martinez, Mike Finney and Don Kabel at the meetings in the Grand Ballroom.

The teams discussed preparation for the upcoming season, officiating, game rules, marketing and various other items. The league’s new website at http://www.southernifl.com was also released at the 8 a.m. start of winter meetings. The primary goals of the meetings were for owners and coaches alike to gather and put on the final touches for the upcoming 2009 season.

The SIFL inaugural season begins with the Mudbugs from Acadiana/Lafayette, Louisiana traveling to the Travis County Exposition Center to take on the Austin Turfcats on April 17, 2009.

“Anytime we can get together league officials and various ownership groups and coaches in one room we will get things accomplished and it is always good to learn from other markets to make the Turfcats a better organization,” said Ronald Oswalt, Austin Turfcats, Vice-President/General Manager.

Bentley Turner of the Acadiana Mudbugs won a weekend getaway compliments of the new Embassy Suites of San Marcos, Texas during a drawing for conference attendees.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:33 pm

February 9, 2009
Austin TurfCats Community Outreach

The Austin Turfcats Head Coach and General Manager will speak to the Kiwanis of San Marcos at Grin's Restaurant in San Marcos, Texas at noon on this Thursday Feb 12th. The address for this event is 802 North LBJ Drive, San Marcos, TX 78666
--

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:02 pm

02/11/2009
Utility Infielder:
Turfcats win first battle just by getting noticed
Gaylon Krizak - San Antonio Express-News

Ever pass by one of those signs that poses the question, “Does Outdoor Advertising Really Work?”, then provide the answer: “It Just Did.” Don't look, you tell yourself. Don't do it. Aw, man ...

That's a little like how I feel as I dial J. Ronald Oswalt's number.

I've never met nor talked to Ron Oswalt before. All I know is, he's the vice president, general manager and staggeringly tireless publicist for the Austin Turfcats of the Southern Indoor Football League. If you've never heard of the team or the league, there's a reason: Neither has staged a game.

First, the league. Its charter franchises include two in Texas cities, three in Louisiana and one in Florida. Opening day is April 17 — the Acadiana (Lafayette, La.) Mudbugs vs. the Turfcats at Austin's Travis County Exposition Center. Tickets, I'm told, are still available at very reasonable prices.

Which brings us to the phone call. Recognizing the absence of indoor football in San Antonio — and the presence of a built-in S.A. connection: assistant coach and Holmes High School grad Kerry Cash — Oswalt, a San Marcos resident, includes the Express-News in the e-mails he sends every time someone having anything to do with the team does pretty much anything.

In the public-relations game of “Made Ya Look,” Oswalt has won this round. I've looked. I'm curious.

So I'm dialing. He's answering.

And within 10 minutes, I'm ... dare I say, sold?

His enthusiasm for the team and the league are obvious even before I ask about the e-mail that ... well, let's just say it sparked the most response around the office. The team's “If You Love Him, Give Him Football” ticket packages “allow fans and lovers alike to enjoy the fastest game on turf in Austin at discounted rates with special incentives ... (Your) special someone will receive a call from the Turfcats coaching staff on Valentine's Day.”

This is your fourth indoor football stop. Did you use the Valentine's Day promotion in Katy, Beaumont or Houston? More to the point, did it work?

I have to admit, I've never used it, but it's gotten a great response so far. I've gotten probably at least 10 calls already asking about it. It's just something so unique — my wife even told me she thought it was a neat idea; she said, “That's something I would do for you.”

I plan to mention that part of your marketing strategy is “recognizing the absence of indoor football in San Antonio.” Was S.A. ever part of SIFL discussions?

Believe it or not, that was the first market we looked at, but there just was not any availability of an arena. We're still looking at San Antonio for 2010. It's still a very important part of our future plans.

Why will the Turfcats succeed when the Wranglers (first of the AFL, then af2) did not?

It's the business model. The franchise fees are not outrageous. Everybody here wears a lot of hats. Everything is capped, including player salaries. We're also committed to a very regional league — nearly all our road trips will be same-day bus rides up and back, rather than paying for a whole team and staff for two or three nights in a hotel thousands of miles away. Our teams will play in arenas where you're not having to spend X number of dollars just to open the doors. It's all about eliminating the outrageous expenses.

Do your fingers ever get tired typing all those releases?

No, and it's because I love what we do, and the reason goes back to when I was growing up in Mississippi. We were not wealthy, but what we did have in Jackson was Memorial Stadium. An end-zone seat was $5, and if you didn't have the money, you could get in selling Cokes. But what you got were SEC doubleheaders — I saw the best football games in my life for $5. Now, sports markets have overpriced themselves and distanced themselves from the fans. That's why our players will stay on the field for 30 minutes postgame, and fans can come on the turf and meet the players and get autographs.

We also made the decision to make season tickets half the price of walk-up — season-ticket holders are your loyal fans, so why not reward them? We'll have tailgating starting four hours before kickoff ... and no merchandise costs over $10 except a game ball. We believe strongly that this will be a faith-based, family friendly, affordable entertainment experience, where we can be the kids' favorite team because of the closeness they can share with the players. I'm excited to be a part of that.

Utility Infielder postscript:
To get in on the Valentine's Day promotion, you've got to contact the Turfcats by Friday. Make the call today and join Caballo Diablo in the Expo Center rooting the Turfcats to VICTORY!

Oh, and did I mention the cheerleaders?

Made ya look.

AUSTIN TURFCATS
Head coach: Chris Duliban, former Texas linebacker
Online: turfcats.com
Colors: Armadillo Gold, Recycling Green and Natural White

Roster:
So far, it includes just two players — Cory Perez and Darrick Wallace. Think you have a shot at the 20-man roster? The Turfcats' second open tryout is scheduled for Feb. 21 in Hutto. Go to the Web site for details.

Southern Indoor Football League:
In addition to the Turfcats, there are the Texas Pirates (Houston), Louisiana Swashbucklers (Lake Charles), Acadiana Mudbugs (Lafayette), Houma (La.) Conquerers and — playing a “limited schedule” this season — Florida Kings (Tampa). It's online atsouthernifl.com

Notable: This is Austin's fourth try at indoor football. In addition to the Wranglers of the AFL and af2 (2004-0 8) , R.I.P. Texas Terminators (IPFL, 1999) and Austin Knights/Rockers (NIFL, 2002-03).
Last edited by Caballo Diablo on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gusher
Site Admin

Post by Gusher » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:57 pm

In the public-relations game of “Made Ya Look,” Oswalt has won this round. I've looked. I'm curious.

I think he has made a bunch of people look.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:26 pm

Feb. 12, 2009
Turfcats take team philosophy to San Marcos Kiwanis

Austin, TX – Members of the Austin Turfcats franchise spoke to the San Marcos Kiwanis Club Thursday about the team’s philosophy of affordable, family entertainment and giving back to the community.

“I want my kids to go on the field and have a positive experience,” Turfcats General Manager/Vice-President Ronald Oswalt told the overflow crowd at the group’s weekly meeting at Grin’s restaurant. “Anything we can do to give back to our community is why we are here. I want that local feel.”

Turfcats Head Coach Chris Duliban explained the differences the between the “fastest game on the turf” and traditional football.

“Our game is a little different,” he said. “It is like nothing you have ever seen in your life. You get use to seeing football from way back…You go in an arena and you are 28 yards from the other sideline. It looks surreal.”

After hearing that the average price of season ticket start at only $4.12 for season tickets, several members of the audience said they were sold on the team and their philosophy of affordable entertainment that puts family first.

“The idea of having such a fast-paced experience is very exciting,” said Pam Cook, a member of the Kiwanis Club and long time football fan.

The Kiwanis Club is an international volunteer organization, which provides more than 21 million hours of service to communities every year. The San Marcos branch of the club started in 1923.

The team also donated several items to be sold at the 70th Annual Pancake Day charity auction hosted by the Kiwanis Club to help those in need in the San Marcos area.

Great locations are still available for the 2009 season! Act now to reserve the best seats. Call a Season Sales Representative today at 866-969-8228 (TCAT) to reserve your seats today. The Austin Turfcats are committed to being a premier team in the Southern Indoor Football League and being involved in the community for which we serve.

For more information or get photos for media outlets or to get your 2009 Austin Turfcats season tickets, contact the Turfcats office at (866) 969-8228 (TCAT) or by electronic mail at roswalt@turfcats.com

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Feb. 13, 2009
Home Energy Solutions and BMC West
“Power” the Austin Turfcats

Austin, TX –Home Energy Solutions and BMC West are proud to announce that the Austin Turfcats of the Southern Indoor Football League are their newest corporate partners.

“Powering the Turfcats is very exciting for us,” says Steve Rosenbaum, BMC West’s Central Texas Regional Sales Manager. “We have extremely strong roots in our communities, stretching more than seven decades. We love the Turfcats and SIFL model of promoting local talent and bringing exciting, affordable professional sports to our friends and neighbors.”

Homeowners, builders and remodelers rely on BMC West for the highest quality building materials, lumber, doors, windows, and hardware. Their exclusive partnership with Home Energy Solutions educates homeowners how they can “Slash” their energy usage with the latest technology products.

“The Turfcats are an exciting new SIFL team that is sure to bring great enjoyment to families in the Capital city and beyond,” adds Home Energy Solutions President,
Craig Bushon. “We look forward to bringing high-powered Central Texas football along with the fastest-paced sporting event to the region.”

“We are so excited to have both of these professional companies join our team, their philosophy of community and giving back mirrors the Turfcats mission statement. Their commitment ensures success for our team not just now but also in the future, “added Ronald Oswalt, Turfcats Vice-President/General Manager.”

The public is always welcome to get hands on experience and learn more about Home Energy Solutions at the BMC West showrooms located in Austin, Cedar Park, New Braunfels and Helotes. Bookmark the BMC West Blog at http://bmcwest-centex.com.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:09 am

SIFL Owners: Commissioner Has Final Say on Rules and Ops
February 13, 2009 - Southern Indoor Football League (SIFL)

HOUSTON (February 11, 2008 - The Southern Indoor Football League took steps to prevent ownership from creating undue advantages for their teams while strengthening the league office during its league conference February 6 at Hilton America in Houston.

Owners will not be able to overturn any decision by the League commissioner regarding rules infraction or interpretation, nor manipulate any of the day-to-day football operations of the league.

"This will eliminate any possible conflict of interest,'' said SIFL Commissioner Dan J. Blum. "I'm appreciative of the owners giving up some control to insure that the product on the field has the utmost credibility."

SIFL President Thom Hager, who, by the way, owns the Louisiana Swashbucklers, appreciates the decision.

``Football operations can handle 99.7 percent of football situations. I can focus more on the sales and community aspect of running a team, which is what I'm supposed to be doing,'' Hager said. ``From an integrity standpoint, this is a no-brainer.

``We've brought on board a league staff that knows the game, and more importantly, knows how to run the game,'' Hager added. ``Dan Blum has the power. No opinionated biased owner will over-ride the Commissioner's decision. We don't need a puppet position. I've seen how that works . It doesn't. We as owners will leave those decisions and problems in the more than capable hands of our staff."

Owners, coaches and sales staff from the SIFL's inaugural six-team roster spent the majority of the weekend fine-tuning the rules and operations manuals.

``I was really excited about how we came together on the rules,'' Hager said. ``There was a lot of football savvy and experience in the room, and I know that will show when we play this April. ''

Blum was also pleased with the day's developments.

``I was impressed with how the structure allows teams to give promising football players a platform to showcase their talent while reaching out to the community,'' Blum said. ``The owners have an outstanding chance for financial success. We're on the verge of a win-win. We've developed a rule book second to none which focuses on three criteria; player safety, ease of officiating with less room for interpretation, and simple easy-to-understand rules for fans.''

In other developments from the weekend:

1) The official announcement that Thaddea will provide the official gameball for the SIFL as well as collectibles . ``I've dealt with Thaddea in the past and their game ball is an outstanding product, " Hager said. ``It was great putting together an equipment deal the way it should be done - without excessive effort.''

2) Debuted the championship trophy.

3) Approved the Acadiana Mudbugs moving their home opener with the Texas Pirates from April 27 to April 25.

The SIFL's inaugural season kicks off April 17 with the Austin Turfcats hosting the Acadiana Mudbugs.

Return to “SIFL”