Baltimore Blast owner Ed Hale pushing for merger of indoor soccer leagues

The Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) Forum.
Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:26 pm

I'm going to venture that teams in the PASL that draw less than 1,000 a game- but play in a building that HOLDS maybe 1000 to 1500- are in better shape than those teams playing in an arena. The difference in rent is astounding.

Of course, do I have a sick sense about wanting to see Baltimore vs Turlock on a marquee? Oh, probably yes. It'll never happen, of course.

If Hale expects teams on "Baltimore's level" (market size with arena bigger than 5,000) to agree to this merger idea, there certainly aren't going to be enough viable markets to help the combined league. I think Hale's going to have to downgrade or perish. I think this is the final cry for help. If there's a future for this hybrid, it's in regional play and established rec centers that throw up some bleachers, not anything that will reach established national television.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:35 pm

^^i don't think Turlock would wanna' see us on any given day.......lol. It wouldn't be a pretty matchup.
Last edited by Trish_lvs_Baltimore on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Founded 1908.
The First and Always The Finest

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:48 pm

7 of the PASL's current 20 teams are expansion clubs. When you consider the fact that the PASL's attendance requirements are much, MUCH lower than the MISL's and teams still continue to drop like flies from the PASL, why on God's green earth would a merger of any kind make sense???

Teams that fall (or fold) from the MISL do so because of the high attendance requirements, which makes sense in the long run. You're gonna' keep some, & you're gonna' lose some. The MISL is, in many peoples' eyes, considered the highest level of indoor soccer in this country.

I dunno'. Maybe I'm not seeing the bigger picture here. Ed Hale just isn't makin' sense with this...
Last edited by Trish_lvs_Baltimore on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:00 am

[quote=""Trish_lvs_Baltimore""]7 of the PASL's current 20 teams are expansion clubs. When you consider the fact that the PASL's attendance requirements are much, MUCH lower than the MISL's and teams still continue to drop like flies from the PASL, why on God's green earth would a merger of any kind make sense???

Teams that fall (or fold) from the MISL do so because of the high attendance requirements, which makes sense in the long run. You're gonna' keep some, & you're gonna' lose some. The MISL is, in many peoples' eyes, considered the highest level of indoor soccer in this country.

I dunno'. Maybe I'm not seeing the bigger picture here. Ed Hale just isn't makin' sense with this...[/quote]

The only reason a merger makes sense is that there's just no proof that an MISL startup gets ANY traction.

Don't assume that this means I think a merger makes sense, or doesn't. I think it's meaningless. I don't think the sport can draw any more markets like Baltimore or Milwaukee and sustain in those markets. Furthermore, the PASL needs to be geographically tighter to make the small buildings work. If there's a merger, it's because the Blast move out of Baltimore Arena, but have someplace to go... but there's no PASL markets really near Baltimore. You've got a mess on your hands, no matter how you slice it.

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:14 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]The only reason a merger makes sense is that there's just no proof that an MISL startup gets ANY traction.

Don't assume that this means I think a merger makes sense, or doesn't. I think it's meaningless. I don't think the sport can draw any more markets like Baltimore or Milwaukee and sustain in those markets. Furthermore, the PASL needs to be geographically tighter to make the small buildings work. If there's a merger, it's because the Blast move out of Baltimore Arena, but have someplace to go... but there's no PASL markets really near Baltimore. You've got a mess on your hands, no matter how you slice it.[/quote]Yeah, I guess you're probably right. Harrisburg, Pa. is only an hour from here, so going up there to beat up on the Heat on the regular would be nice.....lol.

But all jokes aside, you're right; this deal would benefit the PASL handsomely. It just makes sense. I don't think the sport of indoor soccer will ever be on the level it was back in the mid-80's, but this merger could be a good thing in the long run.

Honestly, I now see this merger coming into fruition..

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:22 pm

[quote=""Trish_lvs_Baltimore""]7 of the PASL's current 20 teams are expansion clubs. When you consider the fact that the PASL's attendance requirements are much, MUCH lower than the MISL's and teams still continue to drop like flies from the PASL, why on God's green earth would a merger of any kind make sense???

Teams that fall (or fold) from the MISL do so because of the high attendance requirements, [/quote]

What, exactly, are these attendance "requirements," and who sets them?
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

jmel92501
Site Admin

of the pasl teams discussed here...

Post by jmel92501 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:25 am

possibly coming into the misl...can they financially make that (ie travel costs

-

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:03 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]What, exactly, are these attendance "requirements," and who sets them?[/quote]

Not to put words in Trish's mouth, but I'm thinking the requirement is "draws enough paid attendance to cover higher rent at larger facilities, salaries, insurance, travel, and the perk-laden flights to ownership meetings."

It's a guess. I could be wrong.

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:23 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]Not to put words in Trish's mouth, but I'm thinking the requirement is "draws enough paid attendance to cover higher rent at larger facilities, salaries, insurance, travel, and the perk-laden flights to ownership meetings."

It's a guess. I could be wrong.[/quote]you nailed it!

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:44 pm

Then it's not attendance.

It's revenue.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Return to “MISL”